MP-39: Masterpiece Sunstreaker

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Spark Extractor, May 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    I look forward to the prospect of the MP Sunstreaker KO costing extra, and people having a nervous breakdown about that too.

2. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy

News Credits:
    The wheelchair is removable.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    9 months? December is now 6 months away.

4. ambitron

ambitron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A bunch of comparisons I did (just because I *love* this figure, and Sunstreaker):

Sunny's regular face, compared to a number of cartoon grabs:
    sunny-regular-face.jpg

Smiling face:
    sunny-smiling-face.jpg

Moaning face:
    sunny-moaning-face.jpg

And, of course, his alien mask:
    sunny-alien-comp.jpg

Interestingly, despite the absolute focus on 'toon accuracy, they do seem to have taken one detail from his toy face: the polygonal shapes under his eyes (sort of robot bags under the eyes...). These are never there in the cartoon, but are there on the toy and on MP-39. It could be argued that the curves to the face are based on the toy, too, but they also appear in a number of cartoon shots. The shape of the nose owes something to the toy, too, I think. Here's a comparison with the G1 toy face:
    g1-face-comparison.jpg

Full frontal (oo-er etc):
    sunny-front.jpg

Back:
    sunny-back.jpg

Shooting:
    sunny-shooting.jpg

And, of course, with Chip:
    sunny-with-chip.jpg

I think they've done a pretty magnificent job. Like some others above, I personally prefer smokey black windows to blue for alt modes, but that's a minor thing. I also would've loved to see the hand cannons included that the G1 toy had. However, it looks as though that would have been difficult because of the way the hands transform - they don't fold all the way back into the arms like on Ironhide and Inferno:

18672968_1470611079667069_1840170270043953927_o_jpg___100___RGB_8_.png

I've complained about the lack of silver faces in the past, but Sunstreaker has such a great face sculpt (it's grown on me) that I think it will look good as it is. However, in the case of Sunstreaker, we can say for sure that a flat grey face is *not* cartoon accurate, given that in S.O.S. Dinobots he talks about having had his face recently chromed. :) 

Anyway, is it December yet?

• Like Like x 41
  5. malware5

malware5 Well-Known Member

Good job, couldn't agree more with you! The only complaint or nitpick I have in light of these pictures is that I think I would have preferred it if the face was a bit more grey since it appears to be closer to that colour in quite a number of the captions you've put up!

6. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Throbbing Member

Man I'm trying to get into Robotkingdom to place a preorder, but I had to reset my password and it keeps taking me to a blank page... sigh.

7. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:

Brilliant post! So glad to see you active again - for awesome comparison shots like this if nothing else :thumb 

Love how you called it his moaning (rather than shouting) face - he is a bit of a moaner isn't he?

If we could just get this shot in better detail it'd go great with your comparisons (the one where he's holding Chip):

[​IMG]

See guys, posts like ambitron's are what these threads can be all about!

• Like Like x 11
  8. Seth Sunthay

Seth Sunthay ElusoryMonk

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The g1 toy's face always looked like an fuckin' alien from a 90's movie for me.
    Good work.

9. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

Instagram:
    Thanks to @ambitron for the comparisons! Like @Sam says that's what these threads can be about and it's one reason why I come here

• Like Like x 4
  10. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Damn, wish Sunny's face sculpt had those toon vertical lines a la Grapple's alternative face ...hate it when the faces look too humanoid ...

11. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

Instagram:
    I can't help but think that his squintyeyes makes him look like evil and not friendly. Anyone else getting that read? The smiling face looks like he's deceptive for lack of a better term

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sam

Sam Arrival

News Credits:
    Yes totally, but his bio does describe him as a 'contemptuous' 'ruthless war machine'.

• Like Like x 1
  13. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Awesome post bro, it's effort like this that MAKE the thread enjoyable to frequent. I personally think the face looks fantastic from the first reveal. He's as handsome as he thinks he is.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ZapRowsdower

ZapRowsdower Selling oddities in a shack. In the woods.

That's a cool way to think about it, at least! :thumb  Still, more chrome might've been cool! :D  (Sometimes it's all or nothing, right?)
    It's a TINY amount of chrome, so you call it a "nitpick"? So if he had 10 pieces in chrome, then my complaint has more weight?

Dude, I can dislike the spare use of chrome, and you don't need to refer to me as "some people" because you disagree. :rolleyes2  Don't you find any irony in complaining about a complaint? :lol 

15. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Don't you feel the irony in other people (like the parts you quoted) making clear that your complaint was simply TOTALLY STUPID AND MISINFORMED FROM THE START??? :D :D :rolleyes: 

16. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

Just wna reiterate this point, thx for the contributions my dude! ... When we start breaking down MP reveals like the Zapruder film, I get so pumped ... the arcane references to toy details, toon discrepancies, AKOM shittiness, I get that nostalgia heroin rush and I just want the train to keep on chugging ... :) 

• Like Like x 5
  17. Optimist Maximus

Optimist Maximus Well-Known Member

Whoa hohoho! Relax! Don't get paranoid. Did I call you ignorant or something? Because I'm expressing my opinion about a figure, a silly TOY and you are using adjectives ON PEOPLE, so please have respect and be careful.
    Will the figure be released with yellow plastic or will they use yellow paint? I don't really know, I honestly have just started collecting masterpieces 2 years ago, max.
    I didn't know that masterpiece figures are often displayed with melting paint, so sorry I hurt your delicate feelings about a toy LOL!
    I hope this figure is released in yellow plastic, because although MP-36 is an exceptional and truly remarkable figure (which I own), the final results on his paint are unfortunate.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Sunstreaker's always been described as a narcissist with sociopathic tendencies and a notable contempt for humans to boot. In fact, the only human he seems to like is Chip Chase. The rest of humanity can just go die in a fire, for all he cares. He's also not 100% sold on the Autobots' cause against the Decepticons, if I recall correctly, so his loyalty is somewhat questionable (unlike his brother Sideswipe). In the IDW comics, he even betrays the Autobots after being turned by Starscream. Talk about a complicated "good guy". :D 

• Like Like x 1
  19. RichP

RichP Slick Doohickey

Instagram:
    Thanks @Sam and @Timesynch. Knowing TT I wouldn't doubt that description came into deciding the emotive qualities of the face sculpt.

• Like Like x 2
  20. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    When someone doesn't know something, he's ignorant in that regard.
    Did you know that TT (as anybody else ...) usually exposes hand painted protos in show and fairs?
    From you silly joke about "melting paint", wich you made just to mock the figure and flame, i'd say you don't.
    So yes, you're ignorant in that regard.
    If thruth hurts you, that's your problem sadly...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.