MP/20th Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CyberShadow, Oct 20, 2008.

1. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Hi. I recently was lucky enough to find a cheap 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime. I also have the chance to pick up a trailer for him. I have a couple of quick questions.

Is the 20th Anniversary Prime the same as the MP Prime, but more plastic? Same size, etc? So, the MP trailer will fit him fine?

The trailer is going to be more expensive than Prime himself... worth it?

Aside from the longer smoke stacks (anywhere to get these in the UK?) is there anything else that I really should get for him that is cool?

Many thanks.

2. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    20th prime is the same as MP prime is, just with a few different paint apps.

as for the trailer, which one are you referring to? theres one that opens and is a official, another one that opens thats unofficial as well as a non opening one thats unofficial

3. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Thanks. I suspected that this was the case, and sent a message about the trailer to the seller. It is the 'closed' version that is available. A shame, and probably not worth the forty pounds that he is asking plus postage. I will stick with OP and get the smoke stacks for him... I may get Rollar as well, just because he is cool.

4. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    i have the closed version, and honestly i love it, but its not quite worth the money if your at all tight on funds, its awesome for displaying though

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    20th Anniversary Optimus Prime is completely plastic. Especially the metal parts. And the rubber tires.

6. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

:lol 

And the screws?

7. Peanut04

Peanut04 Under Construction

News Credits:
    No screws. Its held together with cellophane. :) 

8. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Were there two versions of Prime released? The one I have has really short stacks, a black gun and no sound-chip base.

9. CyberShadow

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yes. There is a 20th Anniversary version, and a 20th Anniversary DVD version... without the DVD. I have the DVD version on the way, which is generally considered the worst.

What have I learned from this thread? There are a lot of different MP Primes, which are all mostly the same, except that the one I have is considered the worst, and all the non-plastic bits are plastic. ;) 

This place is a mine of information.

10. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Okay, breaking it down seriously this time.

Masterpiece MP-1 Convoy (Takara): Long stacks, molded but unpainted battle damage, chromed parts, gray gun, no trailer, packaging can be turned into cardboard trailer. Released in late 2003.

20th Anniversary Optimus Prime (Hasbro) first edition: Short stacks, painted battle damage, chromed parts, gray gun, no trailer, packaging can be turned into cardboard combat deck. Released in early 2004.

20th Anniversary Optimus Prime (Hasbro) second edition (running change variant): Short stacks, painted battle damage, chromed parts, black gun, no trailer, packaging can be turned into cardboard combat deck. Released in early 2004. The only change is the black gun.

Masterpiece Convoy "USA Edition" (Takara): Same as Hasbro second edition. Sold as an e-Hobby exclusive in early 2004.

20th Anniversary Optimus Prime UK release (Hasbro): I think there were some packaging changes, otherwise identical to one of the two Hasbro US versions (probably the second one).

Masterpiece MP-4 Convoy "Complete Edition" (Takara): Long stacks, molded but unpainted battle damage, chromed parts, gray gun, transforming trailer. Released in late 2006. Yeah. A transforming trailer is included, but the gun is still gray.

20th Anniversary Optimus Prime "DVD Edition" (Hasbro): Short stacks, unpainted (?) battle damage, painted silver parts, blue gun, no trailer, with sound base stand. Released as part of the "Classics" line in late 2006. Note: NO chrome parts.

11. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    When I had mine it was held together with duct tape.:wink: 

12. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Battle Damage? There isn't any on the one I have, and it was the Hasbro 20th with the short stacks and black gun.
    Another running variant?

13. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    With Battle damage hasbro means the ugly black paint splotches on the toy.

Wait the original MP version has molded battle damage? I need to see pics of that, can anybody supply them?

14. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    I don't remember either of these actually having any molded battle damage.

In fact, I'm pretty certain that there is no molded damage. Everything I knew about the damage detailing on the US releases said it was entirely reomovable.

I'm at work for the moment and can't check either MP1 or MP4, do you have picture references of the molded damage?

15. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Okay, It's not so much "molded battle damage" as "molded age wear" or whatever you want to call it. Like small cracks in the shoulder, the back etc., all of them as sculpted details.

16. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I must see that, cos it sounds rely cool.