MP-2 Cybertron City Commander Upgrade Kit (aka MP Magnus armor) pictorial review

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Reviews' started by payton34, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Detroa

Detroa Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for the review.

I don't like this product at all, I REALLY hope iGear won't use this design for their miniature version of the trailer/armor...

2. Schiedam79

Schiedam79 Member

Ebay:
    Seems that Magnus still won't be able to deal with it... :D 

3. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I agree. The problem is that the pieces of armour is also going to come together as the trailer (which looks nice and has good proportions). If this MP set is going to mimic the G1 Magnus, the end result most likely won't look that good.
    I think a new approach to the armour is needed, a la FP Protector.

It's a decent effort and kudos for doing it. But that head... what's the reasoning for making it so large and playskool???

4. bellyboy

bellyboy working working working

News Credits:
    i have to say that i like the effort but the final product is slightly dissapointing.
    The head is the major thing, looking happy and cheerful, and oversized.....
    Lol
    The trailer its self looks realy G1'ish,and i like it, never thought of grabbing a mp um, but now maybe its the time.

What will b the price range for this?

5. GODPRIMUS1975

GODPRIMUS1975 Supreme Commander

It looks awesome [the armor] the helmet uggghhh!!! needs work seriously

6. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The whole damned thing looks Playskool.
    How can you put something so cheap and chinsy looking on MASTERPIECE Ultra Magnus? Key word: MASTERPIECE.

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    The armor looks wrong because Magnus tries to fill the entire armor instead of just the torso section of the original.

8. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, at least the box is cool.

9. metrotitan

metrotitan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. I've dreamed of having this released for the longest time. I really WANT to like it. But that head.....THAT HEAD.....lay off the nerve tonic, Griffey.

10. Keith Prime

Keith Prime Advanced Engineer

News Credits:
    He's too short to work for an MP, which makes him look like a box-cosplay, as people have been saying.

The problem w/ making him right, where much of the trailer is legs, is that the legs would have to be weighted, so the die cast of MP Ultra Magnus wouldn't make it top/ back heavy.

& yeah, helmet for the head isn't going to work... You have to have it attach to the trailer somehow.

I don't have a UM. I just have the US MP-01. I had ordered & completely paid for iGear's trailer for MP Prime, but they cancelled it right out from under me. :banghead:  My MP Optimus STILL looks naked w/o his trailer, & is incomplete due to no Roller! For my comic, I'm having to shop the G2 Op I have, to use his trailer for MP Op.

On the upside, I took the money I paid for iGear's cancelled trailer, & applied it to Crossfire 02 A & B. :D  He's an awesome replacement... But I still wish my Masterpiece Optimus Prime was complete... But now I'm broke. :cry 

Before iGear, I was considering bashing my own trailer out of a LGB (train) Truck/ trailer. Unfortunately, the prices I found online for one at 1:24 scale are around $60. (which means the $100 Hasbro & iGear were asking for a complete, transforming trailer, iGear's w/ Roller, wasn't unreasonable). Unfortunately, I no longer have the means to do that. :( 

11. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Collector + Photographer

News Credits:
    Looks ok when unassembled....But when assembled....looks like a piece of crap. Really unfit to be a MP "upgrade" kit...more like a downgrade IMO

12. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's almost so bad it's awesome. Reminds me of the SD Magnus statue with the broken Matrix.

Would I buy one? No. But I'd happily take time out of my lunchbreak to have a giggle at it.

13. caitlindevi

caitlindevi Sculpticon

News Credits:
    Wow...Perfect for turning you masterpiece figures into out of proportion bumper battlers/powerbots.
    I can see why production was halted

14. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    It looks like an infant in an Ultra Magnus costume on Halloween.

15. G1Jetfire

G1Jetfire Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The trailer needs to overlap both rear axels of the cab. It sits too far back. The Alt mode looks ok but needs improvement in all areas. The chalkyness from the plastic is probably from a poor quality paint job. And it needs to be packaged better. There's too great of a chance of pieces being damaged. From what I have seen board member "anemis" has done the best job with an MP Ultra Magnus trailer.

16. omega145

omega145 Autobot

Ebay:
    Most promising but disappointing piece i've seen yet. Like others have said, looks cool when not assembled but looks very cheap and silly when assembled.

17. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    Understandable why it wasn't available for a Mass Market. For a Masterpiece toy it lacks way too much detail. Even the G1 armor looks better. If someone did something like this for himself it might be ok, but for an buy-able item it should be alot better, especially when it is designed for a masterpiece figure.

18. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

Payton34, thanks for the review.

This may seem minor, but could you take a pic of him without his thigh armor? I'm also curious what it looks like without his rockets, and even his head. I think that could improve his sillhoutte and spark some imagination of the things to fix.

Randy!

19. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Personally, I always figured an MP level trailer/armor set for Magnus was going to have to require that the figure be partially transformed so the armor/pieces could outright latch on better.

In this case, have the truck arms folded behind "backpack style" and shorten the legs so that the lower legs of the figure serve as the upper legs of the armored form. Let the trailer design work in its own lower legs/arms. With that level of added height and bulk (plus increased articulation since the arms would be their own design and not clip-on) even the head in this set wouldn't end up looking silly.

20. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What did this retail for?