MP-2 Cybertron City Commander Upgrade Kit (aka MP Magnus armor) pictorial review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by payton34, Mar 17, 2011.

1. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I remember these things being in the planning stages a few years ago, but thought production was halted. Apparently, they were still released but not for a mass market. I was able to snag one (courtesy of Zfeakye) and here are a few pics of it.

The box is nice looking and would make a great display piece for all of you MISB collectors.

[​IMG]

Once opened, you can see that there are no plastic or foam inserts to protect the piece, most everything is loose.

[​IMG]

The pieces have a rough, resin feel to them and your hands are left feeling chalky after handling it for a while. Here you see all of the pieces, including an instruction booklet.

[​IMG]

Here I've got them laid out where they're supposed to go, assembly-wise. So far, so good.

[​IMG]

Here it is, fully assembled minus the head. As you can see, it isn't really that different from G1 Ultra Magnus in terms of the brick/blocky look. While it does offer some movement while armored up, it's still not a whole lot. The hands are not articulated, and the gun barely fits inside the fist. The gun has an LED trigger for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here it is with the head. As you can see, it is too large and out of proportion with the rest of the figure.

[​IMG]

Also, some of the pieces fit on VERY tightly, so you may have a bit of CrazyDevy syndrome happening where scratches and/or paint rubbing will occur.

[​IMG]

Vehicle mode is definitely better to look at, but it has it's own share of problems. In addition to being held together fairly flimsy, the top part doesn't line up properly and the rocket launchers don't insert fully into their pegs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all, it was a noble effort but the final product just doesn't measure up. If anything, this just shows that even if it were official Takara-Tomy product, the range of motion would still likely be severely limited because of the added bulk, so a "perfect edition" of MP-02 still isn't very likely, IMO.

In the hands of a kitbasher, you could probably make some adjustments, tweaks (definitely a new head) and other improvements here and there to make it a nicer display piece. As it is...well, it was a good try.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks for the photos and review. I've been interested in seeing the finished version since I heard it had actually come out. :) 

3. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    The set looks nice, but FP could do better...

4. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

Its a good attempt. I like it though.

5. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm glad this didn't see a mass release..... I can appreciate the effort and all, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't wanting to gouge my eyes out after seeing that. lol

- Gregg

6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It looks terrible. The MPs proportions simply don't lend themselves well to an armoured-up form.

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    shittier than I could have ever imagined.

8. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    All the parts have somewhere to go in trailer mode?

9. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow.that's pretty crappy

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    It's way better than I thought it was going to be as far as production values go, but the design is just dumb. I don't really understand the desire to upscale the halloween costume aspect of G1 UM's trailer into an MP aesthetic, instead of updating it the way FP or whatever have, to match the design quality of the MP. The head is soooo goofy looking. :lol 

I wonder what would happen if a radicon got ahold of it and added some articulation, new head etc etc?

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    lol god attempt I guess, but fail IMO.

12. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    *hugs City Commander

13. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Ewww that looks like all they did was chop up a g1 magnus trailer and stick it on a masterpiece magnus.

IMO it looks craptacular

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    looks passable at best. Can't see this having the same effect on MP Magnus that City Commander had on Classics Magnus. Its a step in the right direction but much more refinement and improvement are needed.

15. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Whoa! That looks like "Fisher-Price Ultra Magnus"! That head has GOT to go!

16. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really feel like this piece is more of a step in the process of getting us this trailer/armor versus an end result for what we're wanting. It's a valiant effort with some cleverness to it, but it certainly needs work.

17. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Yea, it just looks a little goofy with the armor on. I really think to get something proper, we are gonna need someone to remove the MP head, cause any helmet just makes his dome look way too big. If I were to display my Magnus in truck mode, this would work for me, but I don't see myself shelling out a significant amount of cash for a trailer.

What size cars will the trailer hold?

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yeah, I don't see the huge need of having to have the Magnus head be a helmet/mask. The MP Magnus could simply have his head transform back and a fold out portion with the Ultra Magnus head transform out. /end of problem

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Interesting piece, I've not seen one before. Mad props for the Dreamtoys team for trying to make such a piece.

That being said, I don't like the final look. To me it looks more like MP-2 is Cosplaying armoured Ultra Magnus than actually being the armoured Ultra Magnus. It's a fun look, and I'm sure in the capable hands of a customiser like yourself Payton you could turn it into a really impressive piece, but out of the box I'm just not feeling the look of it.

20. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm impressed with what has been done, and more than a little bemused at how much it looks like a person wearing a box costume at Botcon or some such.