MP-13 Masterpiece Soundwave/FT-02 3rd Party Soundwave Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, Jun 1, 2012.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Could it be possible that the FT-02 3rd party Soundwave pics that we've been seeing are really of a stolen protoype design for MP-13 Soundwave?

I remember reading on the boards that someone "in the know" implied that Hegemon was an abandoned prototype design for a Megatron that HasTak was working on.

It occurred to me that the same thing *could* hold true for FT-02 and MP-13 as well. The 3rd party company that is making FT-02 could've gotten a hold of prototype designs for MP-13 and then started to make their own from those designs.

What do you think?

Am I way off base?:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-3rd-party-discussion/527016-new-design-ft-02-g1-cartoon-soundwave.html

2. Ultra BuckNutz

Ultra BuckNutz Sharkticon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Certainly seems plausible. However, I now have to wonder what type of market their will be for the 3rd party version with an official masterpiece coming out.

3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Depends on how big it will be. If they can downsize it then they have a market again.

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Well, to put it into perspective, people are still buying the iGear seekers despite MP-11's release and the obligatory repaints. I'm sure an official release will sway a number of people, but not enough to critically hurt the demand of a 3rd Party offering.

5. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    In my mind (so take it FWIW) it is extremely plausable that MP-13 and FT-02 are linked in this way.

6. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    It would also depend on which minions come packaged and pricing will be a biggie. For all we know MP13 may not have any tapes, unlikely I know, but the point is we know sweet FA about MP13 to make any kind of comparison as of yet.

7. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    I don't know, What should I do? Buy MP-13 or the 3rd party version?

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I really, really doubt it. The 1st prototype was essentially a modified G1 Soundwave, and the 2nd prototype was an updated design based directly on that, with improvements that directly responded to fan criticism. Not to mention that MP Soundwave seems to have different shaped legs from both of the FT prototypes.

9. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I'd go with the official release all the way.

10. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I see your point and it's a good one.

But, if the company making FT-02 had HasTaks original prototype design for MP-13 to begin with, they could essential "tweak" the deign and change things here and there how they saw fit.

HasTak's timing on MP-13 is almost like they said "oh shit that's basically OUR design and we're not the ones releasing it...we had better put MP-13 out in a hurry."

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Which ever makes for the better representation of Soundwave. I'd study up on both versions by watching and reading reviews, therefore allowing me to make a more informed decision.

12. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agreed.

I really don't think it went down like that, but again anything is possible. IMO it was more along the lines of "SHIT another 3rd party infringing on our IP's and it LOOKS FUCKING NICE." boss busts out the whip "GET TO WORK SLAVES".

What we're seeing looks like a blatant counter-move, in the same way that MP-11 was developed to combat igear. I don't think any prototypes whatsoever are being shared here, and we'll likely end up with 2 completely unique products.

Which is good for fans cause you can then choose which you prefer.

13. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    You may be right and you have a very good point.

My only thing is with your scenario is that FT-02 is still relatively new. We've only seen prototype pics of FT-02 over the last several months and that isn't enough time IMO for HasTak to suddenly (after they presumably saw pics of FT-02) go from "no we're not making this" to "we'll have a brand new, designed from the ground up, finished product out in stores by December" without the design for the figure already having been in place.

14. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

Let me get this straight. Because a possible (former) insider commented that the design of one 3rd party product (Hegamon) is partly based on a discarded Takara design for a (not yet revealed) upcoming new MP megatron, you now think Fanstoys stole their design of Acoustiwave from Takara. Even though we haven't actually really seen MP-13 and the outline already differs?!?

What about the Fansproject Insecticons? The same insider said there were CAD designs for MP insecticons. Did FP steal these designs?

What about iGear's rager? In the MP-10 interview the designer mentioned that he had designed a mini MP Huffer that could tow MP-10's trailer and that was planned to be included but made it too expensive. Did iGear steal that design to make their version?

What about FP City Commander? When Classics Prime was released Hasbro commented that they would like to release an Ultra Magnus repaint with a different trailer but this didn't come to be. And then FP releases City Commander. Is that also a stolen design?

No, I seriously doubt it.

I think it far more likely that after failed attempts to stop 3rd party companies legally Taktomy is now simply offering product competition. Soundwave is a boxy robot that transforms into a smaller box. That surely won't take too much time to develop. In the time since the first announcement of Acoustiwave Takara has had plenty of time to design their own version.

Instead of this unfounded accusation that Fanstoys have stolen a Takara design, I think the most likely explanation is that Takara has been caught with their pants down and are now (finally) designing and releasing the MP figures that fans have been craving for and 3rd parties are starting to make. This is simply nothing more than fighting the competition.

I'm sure if Fanstoys had started out with Shockwave or Blaster, then either nothing would've happened or we would've seen an MP-13 that was one of those figures.

15. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I also doubt it, for the reasonsother have stated and for the reason if FT had acquired a stolen prototype and Takaratomy could prove it they would have nailed them to the wall on receiving stolen goods charge and sued the crap out of them.

Mind those still might be tricky to prove in china but easier than trying to stop a Knockoff maker.

16. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

I could see it being the case. Until we have good images of MP-13 we will not know for sure. Most likely is that takara decided to do this because of the third party offerings coming up.

17. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I know that context is sometimes difficult to interpret on a messagboard and correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm definitely getting an unwarranted hostile tone from your response which if that's the case is totally unneccesary.

There is no unwarranted accusations going on in this thread. I never said I was right. It's pure idle speculation which by the way was based on not only the timing of both MP-13 and FT-02 but, the fact that FT-02 IMO (there it is again!! My OPINION) looks ALOT like an official release especially in pictures comparing it to actual HasTAK MPs.

The FP and Igear designs which you mentioned while really nice representations of the characters, would NEVER pass as an official release by any means IMO. FT-02 could IMO indeed pass as a HasTAK MP design if we didn't already know that it was made by someone else.

Take my opinion FWIW and if you don't agree then that's your right and I absolutely respect your own opinion but, to take such a condescending tone is completely unneccessary.

18. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    Then why didn't HasTak do the same thing with Igear's Faith Leader and KO MP Seekers?

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ok, so they designed a figure (and redesigned) and you accuse them of theft/breaking into a hastak factory to steal prototypes? need foster's jumping to conclusions jpg lol just because there is an official silhouette of a figure, doesn't mean they stole anything (IP aside)

20. GrimlockAutobot

News Credits:
    I'm NOT saying that's what happened. Just pure speculation for the sake of conversation. Just a little food for thought...nothing more nothing less.

Here's a quote from Transbot90210 from this thread:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/transformers-news-rumors/603947-big-masterpiece-transformers-news-mp-12a-red-alert-mp-13-soundwave-42.html