MP-09 Hotrod / Rodimus Prime not a true masterpiece?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kranix, Jul 7, 2012.

?

Does Masterpiece Hot Rod/ Rodimus fall short?

Poll closed Jul 22, 2012.
  1. Yes

36 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. No

112 vote(s)
    75.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i think the hasbro version feels and is a knock off of the takara, with shoulders breaking by sitting there, the stupid elbows, the panels that fall off at the slightest glance, but the takara v2 is definitely an mp

2. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

Post sounds a bit overcritical, but I just for so long wanted a good Rodimus Prime. When MP-1 was released my biggest wish was a good MP Rodimus Prime. So perhaps I'm a bit biased.

What I mostly notice about the comparisons (and it would be even more pronounced if the US version was used as Hot Rod), is that the figure is a perfect Masterpiece of Hot Rod. The body proportions, the parts extruding from his chestplate. It really is a perfect MP Hot Rod.

Too bad it's sold as a MP Rodimus Prime. Because those two do differ significantly.

And of course, for both characters the colors are off :p 

I don't care about the Hot Rod character but as I said earlier and above, the MP figure is to me a perfect MP Hot Rod and a so-so MP Rodimus Prime. So even though I don't care about the character I have the MP mostly in Hot Rod mode because it looks better (and have the trailer in altmode as a said reminder what I wish the figure had been).

I don't know, but a MP that can't really transform into his altmode (the HR robot transforms into the HR altmode, is mangled and covered for about 80 percent by a shell to form the altmode of the character) isn't that character to me. I want MP Rodimus Prime to transform into the futuristic truckmode of Rodimus Prime.

In "The face of Nijika" Rodimus transforms into something that looks a bit like his HR altmode (bigger, less streamlined, no engineblock and clearly the front of the truck altmode) and adds a trailer. I wish we would've gotten that. That way we would've had an honest Rodimus Prime altmode and a so-so Hot Rod altmode. Something I think is justified with a MP Rodimus Prime (the Hot Rod part would be a bonus). The current setup is more a MP Hot Rod with a bonus Rodimus Prime mode.

(Best pic I could find)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    he is the only takara masterpeice i have ever imported, and its the first run one.

he is a masterpiece and to say otherwise is foolish. He is a marvel of engineering and a fantastic figure. He has issues, mostly because his engineering requires a manufacturing process so perfect that its not possible to replicate in a mass-produced toy. the plastic tolerances just can not be made perfect on a mass produced level.

He is a high-end transforming robot, not every high-end transforming robot is perfect, look at the first run valkyries from yamato, imfaomus for their exploding shoulder joints, but they have been improved and they are still considered to be FANTASTIC figures, just like rodimus should be considered.

4. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While it is flawed but mp9 is pretty darn remarkable in its own right:

- has 4 modes in all including 2 vehicle modes
    - great accuracy in all robot/car/truck form
    - decent accessories

So yeah, hes not as sturdy as grimlock and not as cool as an f15, but hes a masterpiece by contemporary standards of high end robot toys. You want something robust n dont want accessories that ur kids will choke on buy the regular line toys.

5. Kranix

Kranix Banned

i certianly have enoyed reading your responses, and after some i kind of agree he is an over engineered masterpiece prone to some problems. i just wish the arms had a better range of motion. thank you all who commented for making this thread a success.

6. Sweeny

Sweeny Electric Monk

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This hits the nail on the head. The mold is so ambitious and a marvel of engineering, and Tak tried to get so much into it (4 in one) that it led to the first run having problems. I also imported a first run and thankfully it didnt have the problems that others have posted, maybe got lucky so it could be colouring my judgement. It still looks amazing in robot and alt-mode and almost perfectly captures the cartoon/movie look.

7. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same, the only precaution I took was sanding down the insides of the trailer where the wing would clip and scrape. I watched a few reviews of this and just did it as a precautionary measure so the wing wouldn't get scuffed. So I did, and never had any problems with it.

The hands were my only other nitpick on the takara v1 since it's a bit hard to get to hold weapons, but it's nothing a little dab of nail polish of future floor polish doesn't remedy.

So yeah, I still hold my v1 takara roddy on the same level as a really really good 3P release. It needed a couple little tweaks, but nothing severe. Hasbro roddy I must have been lucky with too, had absolutely no problems with, felt like it was even sturdier then takara v1 which made me happy about spending another $60 for a different color scheme. I put him in the trailer though so I can display both modes.

8. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    He's the weakest of the line sure, but he's still an MP figure.

9. Polenicus

Polenicus Warring At Play

Ebay:
    He's definitely a Masterpiece figure.

Rodimus' negative press stems almost entirely from his QC, and the fact that his design requires some pretty ridiculous tolerances. And to be fair, my first run Takara Roddy wasn't that bad, and my Hasbro Roddy made up for pretty much any shortcomings my Takara one had.

The things the mold accomplishes are ridiculous. The Hot Rod transformation has always been something of a physical impossibility, because the animation model of the vehicle mode is wider than the robot mode, but the manage to get the proportions of the vehicle AND robot right. The way the Takara version gives him the black Cavalier boots (One of the things I wish I had on the Hasbro version) is pretty slick.

His poseability in his arms might not be the same as Optimus or the Seeker mold, but he still beats Megatron. Where he shines is leg poseability, which is vastly superior to any other MP (Can any of the others kneel? No? Didn't think so).

He's no MP Grimlock, I admit. And in some places we might wish that there was less of a tradeoff for gimmicks or transformation (The hands, for instance). But all in all, he does what Masterpieces are supposed to: Drawing on multiple sources to make the definitive figure for the G1 version of the character.

10. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' ... uh, never mind

The shoulders may be a bit restricted, but I think he makes up with his elbows. No other MP has a double elbow joint and Hot Rod can almost touch his own shoulder. That still impresses me and makes me wonder why none of the other MP's can do that.

11. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    Actually, the seekers have a double elbow joint [though it does not go as far] and Grimlock has it, but the bulk of his lower and upper arms restricts his movement.

12. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    My real gripe is that he can't hold his rifle very well.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    MP-09 is my favorite Masterpiece I own (out of Grimlock, original Optimus, Starscream, and Skywarp).

The cartoon accuracy is mind blowing. I still have a hard time looking at that robot and getting my head around the fact that yes, it transforms. The faces, the colors, everything is just so dead-on perfect for the character.

I fixed all the engineering issues on mine, and have no lingering problems. While the new MP Optimus will very likely overtake MP-09 as my favorite Masterpiece figure, I'll never stop loving this toy, a perfect representation of one of my major childhood heroes.

14. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    THREADSURRECTER!!!

Now that it's been a couple of years into the MP reboot, how has he held up? I personally sold both my Takara and Hasbro Roddys... and recently re-acquired a Takara one (sans trailer), having gotten "seller's remorse". He's appropriately scaled to MP-10 Optimus, he perfectly fits the 'slavish cartoon accuracy' aesthetic of the MP line reboot, he also displays well (as Hot Rod) with MP-1 and Citizen Stack for those of you with those toys, and notwithstanding the production issues it's a marvel of _engineering_. It's amazing and beautiful how they were able to execute the totally different proportions of the robot chest and car hood.

That said, I am all for a MP Sideswipe-sized Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr, Arcee AND Springer. To go with MP Galvatron, Cyclonus, and Scourge. Because WHAT.

15. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I still have my Takara V2.0 . Though he will NEVER be Hotrod. He stays as Rodimus Prime.

16. Qabiri

Qabiri Well-Known Member

He's definitely a Masterpiece. I think he has some major flaws, and the flaws stem from the overambitious attempt at making him both Hot Rod and Rodimus. Of all the MPs I would like them to do a do-over on, he's the one. Give me a MP Rodimus and a MP Hot Rod separately. It make take 10 years but I hope it happens.

I've had all three versions at one point (TT v1, TT v2, and Hasbro) and the only one that didn't have QC issues was the Hasbro version. I'm not a big fan of the deco but Offshoot is fantastic.

17. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I'm CRAZY about mine (TT v1). Floppy and fiddly, but he's a work of art. It's best to view him as a display piece, not as a toy. With Ultra Magnus on the way the demand for this figure will surely skyrocket. He's an essential character, unbelievably show accurate, super pose-able, and probably the most eye catching MP based on reactions from guests and my two young children. I could go on about him all day. I'd post a ton of pictures to show what a badass he is, but I do that all the time in the Appreciation thread anyway.

18. igniz1984

igniz1984 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think the hate for this figure was over exaggerated. I got a day one pre-order from amiami and never had any qc issues or breakage. Everything is still holding up fine after multiple transformations and it's easily one of my favorite MP's.

19. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    At least the thread title is accurate to the topic (Is this a figure a masterpiece?) versus whether or not it actually fits in the line (which would be "Is this a Masterpiece [figure from the line by the same name]?

To answer the latter question, if TakaraTomy and/or Hasbro sanction it as part of the Masterpiece line, then by default it is a "Masterpiece" figure. Whether or not the figure is actually a masterpiece of engineering and design is a separate discussion. For thoughts on that, feel free to see this forum: Transformers Feedback - TFW2005 - The 2005 Boards

See also: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...ansformers-toy-feedback-reviews-opinions.html

If you want to share your photos of this and other Masterpiece figures, by all means go here: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...n/675196-masterpiece-appreciation-thread.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.