MP-08 vs MP-08X

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by The_Fixer, Jan 23, 2010.

1. The_Fixer

The_Fixer The fixer of all things

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    First, I already own MP-08.

I have read the description for MP-08X and can only find the difference being the supplied accessories... am i missing something here? $100 mark up to get the guy with different accessories and alternate box art?

For those who own MP-08X, is he really worth the extra $100 or better to invest in a MP-01 and come back to MP-08X later?

Thanks

2. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    As you mention, the accessories and box are different. The black plastic has been swapped for a dark blue, closer to his depiction in the Marvel G1 comics. Think that's it for differences.

3. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MP-08x is mostly painted or chromed, and is far more striking in person than MP-08.

What was bare gray plastic on regular-flavoured Grimlock, is now painted silver on King Grimlock. That was never that obvious in the official pictures. Other subtle differences are that the silver chromed areas, now have a bluish tinge; the gold chromed areas are darker; the centre of Grimlock's chest, under the transparent panel is painted silver rather than being chromed; the sword is tinted orange; and, the black plastic areas are now blue. Another difference (and an improvement) from the first release of Grimlock is that the washer-headed screws that marked the chromed tail sections, have now been replaced by flat-headed pins. Apparently this improvement was on the second release of MP-08 also.

For me was he was definitely worth it, but I'd only bought a handful of TFs in 2009 including MP-08, and I really love this mould.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    toy/cartoon=MP08, comic = MP08x i personally like the black plastic better than the blue, love your avatar chainclaw

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I too am curious as to which I should get. I favor the Henkei over the classic release if that gives people any indication on my preference. With that being said.....Which one? I think I would display him with his crown but am not certain.

6. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    MP-08X has far more vibrant colours, and the contrast between the various parts of Grimlock's body are far more exaggerated. But I really don't think you would be disappointed with MP-08 though, who is significantly cheaper.

The blue's better than I thought it would be, the detail on Grimlock's head is more obvious in blue rather than black.

Cheers!

7. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I have both, and I only paid about $30 more for MP-8X than MP-8's normal price. I like both, but yeah the silver paint on MP-8X is really nice.

Randy

8. Megablah

Megablah Likes Universe Galvatron Veteran

News Credits:
  9. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got both, recommend MP-08x just slightly more, but only if you can track it down for a decent price.

10. The_Fixer

The_Fixer The fixer of all things

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm sold.

These pictures really show the difference. 08X's colors really come to life and kinda makes 08 look dull.

Now... what is a "decent" price? TFSource has him for $229.95... everyone else is 249.99. Thoughts?

Thanks

11. keebs

keebs 32 Oh-Zee Killah

Maybe wait for an auction listing instead of buy-it-now on eBay to get one cheaper. Any numbers on how many were made, or was this a pretty standard production run?

12. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it's pretty limited. They probably made as many as were ordered.

Randy

13. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got both as well. To me, MP08X is to MP08 what Buster Prime is to regular ROTF Prime.

14. lazerous8506

lazerous8506 Seacon

ive already got mp-08 and have ordered an mp-08x from tfsource cos then i know the item is in tip top condition for the price it is.

considered waiting for one to pop up on ebay in a non reserve auction but didnt want to risk it getting sold out everywhere then possibly paying insane prices. thats not saying that the price of $229 is sane mind!