MP-05 Megatron WARNING for Australia!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Mr_K, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    I asked somebody on the Overclockers AU board and they said their Megatron went through fine and speedily. I doubt Customs would suddenly... forget they weren't supposed to let this toy in the country.

And yes, why the secrecy? If its the law, then they should be happy for the citizens to know so we don't inadvertenly (and unwittingly) apparently break the law.

2. Firecracker

Firecracker Born in a wind tunnel

News Credits:
    Well, my local import store here in Perth didn't seem to have any trouble getting it past customs... though they did have to find a way around Western Australian Customs as they would of 'capped' it. Perhaps different States/different procedures?

3. Mr_K

Mr_K Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The secrecy is only because it was only decided yesterday that they would not be allowed (i.e. if u got yours through customs before yesterday and into the postage system then u should be fine) and because of this it hasn't been released to the public yet so I don't want anyone getting suspicious because then people would know someone was telling stuff and thus what else might they be telling (though nothing is the case).

There is indeed a list but I don't have a copy.

Someone also said that it could be different states different procedures, and this is definitely the case, different laws. I don't know what the different states laws are in response to this item but I do know some have been seized down south as i said before so those people should be notified soon.

I have posted what information I know and sincerely hope that all pieces get through, of course I want mine to get through too.

I guess we will just have to wait and see, but trust me I do hope that we do get them and that what I have been told isn't as bad as it has been expressed to me (though they definitely are on the lookout for them).

4. darthsutius

darthsutius Minor Sith Lord

News Credits:
    I hope you're wrong too!!! I asked a couple of the current ebay sellers if they'd had trouble and they all said they hadn't, one guy has sent 10 to Aus already and all have arrived...but if the law only changed yesterday then maybe we'll start to see grief in a few days time...

5. darthsutius

News Credits:
    Oh BTW can you tell us which States are affected by this?

6. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    Which store would that be? I'm in Perth too and haven't seen it yet...

7. Mr_K

Mr_K Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't tell you specifically, but that's only because I honestly don't know.

What I do know is what i've already posted and that is that the Federal Police in conjunction with Customs has seized at least 2. Now I don't know for certain where they were seized but my thinking takes me to NSW or ACT because the Feds got involved.

Also, I am over the moon to hear reports that some have been getting through, I hope mine is amongst the lot to make it, if not all of them making it :D 

8. Rabbit

Rabbit Weary

Okay, now I'm calling shenanigans. I think you got called on an April Fools gag and now you're trying to save face.

If this is the LAW, why is it a secret? Is there a quota for how many orders get seized and they're keeping it a secret to boost their numbers? Who could possibly lose their job for informing the public of the law? Where is the proof that 'the Federal Police in conjunction with Customs has seized at least 2'?

Show me that, show me independent corroboration, and I'll be happy to recant on my shenanigans call. You made the claim, you back it up.

9. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I believe that came from the same source that claimed the answer was that Takara would be factory-attaching regulation style caps to make it OK, and uncapped ones could be seized.

Seeing as the Takara portion was bunk, I give little creed to the rest. And if Hasbro was worried about any such thing they would have made efforts to stop the reissues being imported as well.

10. madman1366

madman1366 "The Bad Guy"

News Credits:
    The thing I still can't wrap my mind around is the fact that Megs gun mode is frickin HUGE! What moron could possibly ever mistake THAT for a real gun? No matter how detailed and realistic it may look...IT'S STILL FRICKIN HUGE!

Now I've only seen pics of people holding it and it makes an adults hand appear the size of an infant for christ sake. Now I'm no gun expert, but I don't think there are any real hand guns that are THAT big.

What's next? Are they gonna have to start putting orange plugs on the tiny Megs that comes with the MP Prime too???

Just out of curiosity, with all the worry about kids getting shot because of pointing toy guns, I have to wonder how many get shot simply holding something shiny that just looked like it may be a gun. Perhaps we need to paint everything that isn't a real gun orange just to be safe!

11. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

Or real guns be orange so we can get our neat looking G1 Megs toys :D 

12. MV75

MV75 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
  13. Subotnik

Subotnik Please Stand By.

I just had an idea...

Hey guys, I've heard that all MP-05s are being snagged by customs and destroyed!!! They're even considering laying charges against those who tried to import them!!!! Spread the word, tell your friends, everyone better cancel their orders before it's too late!!!

But wait, I have good news!!! I just happen to have a number of MP-05s that slipped through customs before the law change. For the good of the fandom I'm willing to part with these rare and treasured possessions for only $300 each!!!! It's a steal!!!!

14. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    Well this wonderful revelation has come too late, I'll find out in a week or so no doubt

15. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    That whole thing is just a newbie joke.

16. Lenneth

Lenneth Transform and roll out!

I will know in a few weeks or so. (I went for sal)

17. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well, no problems with New Zealand getting Megatron in, my friend (who ordered in about 12 Megs for a bunch of us) got ours in, and I know that ActionFigureAisles is on it's way to NZ now, i'm skeptical about this seizing happening in AU....

18. spishus of mr k

spishus of mr k New Member

Crack up, this sounds like the best explanation.... :rolleyes2 

19. Stickybullseye

Stickybullseye New Member

Has anyone successfully received an MP-05 in Aust yet?

I've been watching this thread and investigated the matter, starting with MV75's link to information about replica firearms in Australia. According to Sally Coughlan of the Firearms Unit Attorney-General's Department whose contact info I found at the Aust Customs site:

"The Masterpiece Megatron MP-05 has been classified as a replica firearm under the Customs (Prohibited Imports) Regulations 1956. As such, you will need to seek permission from the Victorian Firearms Registry, in the form of a B709. "

As you probably know, this is not the first Transformer to be prohibited in Australia, but you can get around it. If customs do seize it you'll need to have your B709 from your state Firearms Registry ready to go when they contact you. The Victorian branch can be contacted at [email protected] (I got in touch and they've emailed me an application) or if you want to speak to them about it, call the Licensing Services Division on 1300 651 645 between 9:00am - 5:00pm Monday to Friday.

I'm ordering Starscream and Megatron in one go as soon as I get my B709. It sucks, but that's the way it is. With a little luck, hopefully everyone's MP-05 will go through without any problems from customs at all.

20. darthsutius

News Credits:

I just ordered mine through transfiguretoys.com so if there's any customs issues they'll be the ones who have to deal with it, not me.

As far as I understand it, customs may hold them up on entry into the country, but once IN the country it's all good.