MP-04S Masterpiece Convoy Sleep Mode

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by deejemon, Jul 1, 2010.

1. deejemon

deejemon Active Member

Arrived today.

Packed in the same manner as MP-04, but the artwork is new and befitting a memorial. A very minor thing which amused me is that I noticed on mine that Optimus Prime was packaged with one of his feet folded up. He had quite literally turned up his toes.

Mold-wise, no surprises - we've seen the main robot multiple times and the trailer also preserves what came with MP-04.

Convoy is not simply black. Everything's faded out, but you can still tell what color it used to be. The yellow accents normally found on his waist where a truck's foglights might be resemble lights that are switched off. He has some battle damage on the left of his torso - the same place as Hasbro's 20th Anniversary Optimus Prime - and his chrome parts are also dulled and have a black wash to them. Rodimus Prime and Ultra Magnus are on his communicators. I don't know how that works.

Apart from the tyres, the trailer is entirely translucent as it too fades out, even the wheels and the undercarriage. However you could also use it for other MP Primes, as it shifts into subspace - or whatever - in the same manner as the stealth mode on FansProject's G3 trailer. Some of the paint apps from the original are missing, such as the red ones on the repair drone.

Accessories are as before, including a faded blaster and axe, while the Megatron gun is now purple and translucent - I understand he's turning into a mini-Galvatron. It does seem a little inappropriate to package Optimus with the guy who killed him, but you can't argue with the determination to include all the accessories. A collector's card is included, unusually supplied in its own protective sleeve, numbered from 0001 to 2010. As you can see, mine is #1920. Appropriately, the values on his tech specs have been removed, and that whole section has been stamped out, presumably with "Deceased" (or similar). In spite of the "Sleep Mode" branding, I can't imagine it says "Asleep".

I still think it's the best mold of any Optimus Prime from any universe. If you're sick of the mold - this is the seventh mass-volume version, the fifth by TakTom - there's probably not much for you here. But if figures representing dead Transformers are your thing, you'll want to get onto this.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pristine, battle damaged, dead.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  2. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have to say that it's cooler than what I had originally thought it would be. Thanks for sharing!

3. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree with superquad there, I thought that he was just a black prime, but tommy literally faded him out. That is a nice touch.. not $250 nice, but nice regardless, lol.

4. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Wow. I had no idea it was actually extremely dull red and extremely dull blue. That looks pretty amazing. Want.

Can't afford. :( 

..."sleep mode". :D  That's the worst toy name ever. :p 

5. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

I have said it once and I will say it again: there is a lack of battle damage on this figure. That's the big negative for me. Probably the main reason I will never buy one. He needs more cracks or other visible damage. He looks too clean for my tastes. The bot just faced off in an epic battle against Megatron. He should have far more damage than that one spot on the left of his torso. Very lacking.

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I think they fixed him up for sleepy time :) 

7. Tirade

Tirade Hate Plague Autobot

Could be. But he didn't look good when he woke up during the ep, "Dark Awakening." :wink: 

Of course he looked pristine when Jessica Morgan and Dr. Swafford found him in "The Return of Optimus Prime, Part I." Too many darn inconsistencies.

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Exactly! :D  *crosses arms*

Seriously, I see what you mean. I guess having a bunch of TakaraTOMY employees trashing em before shipment costs too much :( 

I really think that this mold does need to be put to rest.

9. Rogzilla

Rogzilla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How about "Zombie Prime"? Or even better, "Posthumous Prime"

10. cappeca

cappeca wtf is this?

What I really want to know is what is that MP Ultra Magnus with armor in the last pic.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
  12. JuicyNo

JuicyNo Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this. Despite the limited numbers in the production run, I'd have hoped for a little more battle damage detailing to justify the near 40% markup from the previous Prime w/ trailer set.

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Maybe this is their way of doing just that?....get it?!...GET IT?!!

wakka - wakka - wakka!!

:lol 

Love the pics Deejemon....it's always a joy to see your customs come out for photo ops :thumb 

14. ssspporked

ssspporked Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Nice review! I thought they were just going to make him black and white, but the dull reds and blues are nice. If I didn't already have this mold, I'd be tempted to pick up Corpse Mode Optimus.

15. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

some one needs to make a robe, hat and a bed for sleep mode prime, that or a coffin. :lol 

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    I actually sort of don't mind this repaint. Now whenever Hasbro comes out with a stupid repaint, I can always say: "It could always be worse. At least they're not coming out with a $100 corpse repaint."

17. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

As stated in the Ghost SS thread these are some great figures.

Lovin the trailer.

18. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Not bad at all.

19. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :lol 

[/img]http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=27170541&stc=1&d=1278739045[/img]

Fight robits, fight!

Is it me, or is it just odd seeing a "corpse" TF posed ready to fight? :lol 

Attached Files:

20. The_Jack

The_Jack Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Now that i finally had the time i´ve took some pics of my Sleep Mode Convoy. Gotta say i love the Guy. The Crystal Trailer and Crystal Megs Really do it for me.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]