MP-04 quality

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by iceclimber, Jan 29, 2009.

1. iceclimber

iceclimber Well-Known Member

Has anyone recently purchased this complete set? If you have, how was the quality on your Optimus figure? Did it have any visible flaws like discolorations on the hands or legs? How well did the legs extend/compact when pressing the fuel drums? Was it nearly impossible without breaking the knee joints, or was it smooth like butter? Has any parts come off which would lead to suspect plastic quality?

I ask all this b/c I recently purchased this set. The Masterpiece figure I had was displayed in a box and when I went to look at it a part came off and this coupled with many other flaws made this version worse than the Hasbro versions (I owned both at one point). So, now I am hesitant to return it for a replacement as I am thinking it will happen again. The trailer was great though, no flaws in it.

2. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Are you selling the trailer?

3. iceclimber

No, if I return this, I need to return the whole package. But I am looking for anyone here who may have recently bought a MP-04. I don't know if mentioning where I got it would be good for business, so I don't want to do that as the place I got it is being super understanding in transacting a refund/exchange.

4. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I own MP01, Mp02, MP04, three Hasbro normal versions and a Hasbro DVD prime, and all work perfect for me. Besides the chrome and colors i've never felt any difference.

The leg,(drums) transformation is really tight at for all of them, I just practiced on the amount of pressure to apply to make them work. First time i tf'd a prime i did think something was wrong, but i just needed to push a little harder is all.

5. iceclimber

You sir love Optimus Prime don't you?

Thanks. The one I have feels like a knock off compared to the 20th Optimus Prime I own. I neglected to mention that the left leg sags down into the lower leg portion making for an off kilter pose. I think I will return this and hope for a better one in the replacement.

I must say that I'm rather surprised at the replies. I had expected to hear similar yarns of woe.

6. Magnus406

Magnus406 Decepticreep

I think you'll find this depends on how picky people are. I myself am a perfectionist (it's a curse!). I have MP-1, MP-2 and MP-4. By far the worst of them all in terms of quality is MP-4. I have been through 6 of them to get 1 that was "acceptable" under my expectations. You'll find one or more of the following issues on most MP-4; loose telescoping legs (gives a tilt to one side when standing straight), paint chips out of the box, bad paint apps, misaligned chest doors, bad chrome applications (so thin that in areas the yellow plastic shows through).

The next best in quality is MP-2, and the best is MP-1 which imho is just about perfect!

If you return him and get a replacement just be aware that the issues you notice may still exist, or you may even find more.

7. iceclimber

Thanks. I will take that into consideration. I have another. One piece I can fix with super glue. I have the trailer already, do you think I should keep it or trade it in for credit, buy the justittoys one and maybe the MP grimlock?

8. Magnus406

Magnus406 Decepticreep

I haven't got the JIT trailer, but I do know that it lacks the ability to transform and some details like suspension on it's wheels etc.

MP Grimlock still hasn't been released yet so i obviously can't answer that, but I wont lie, I am REALLY looking forward to it! It's the first new MP mould since Megatron was released a year ago, and from what I've seen in the official photos it looks brilliant!

9. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have two of the JIT trailers, and they're really more of a place holder to the MP4 trailer and the awsome transforming custom that was made earlier.

It's a good trailer, but pales in comparison

I must have been lucky with my MP04, it's like a perfect copy of my MP01. I bought it about the second week it came out though, if it makes any difference.

10. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    i own only MP-04 and i have no problems with it.. the chest doors dont close as tightly as they could, and i know that MP-01 is much better in this respect. no chrome issues on mine, the legs are tight.. and well, thats about.. my issues mainly lie with the trailer.. it doesnt close back together quite tightly.. there's a faint gap between the two halves.. not very noticable, but still.... thats about it

11. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    My MP-04 is not as great as MP-01. But nothing major. The chest doors don't align perfectly and one of them is a slightly darker red than the rest of the figure. Short of that, he's fine.

12. iceclimber

well, glad you guys have good ones. I just proposed a deal with the company I bought this from. We'll see what they do with it, but if they refuse my proposal I will most likely take a gamble and have them send me a replacement and see what comes of it.

13. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Active Member

What you have to remember is that this toy was issued at least twice.
    The last release of MP-04 was released as an Australian Target exclusive, at first released at Au$200.. which was probably about U$180 at the time, it was recently clearance for Au$100... which given the weakness of the aussie dollar is about U$65.
    So there are a lot of $65 MP-04's floating about at the moment, most have qc problems like crappy paint and stiff legs... some have missing parts etc. But they are still pretty cool.

14. iceclimber

yes I had got this at BBTS. I think they got a shipment that was this cheaper version. So, if you got one from there or are considering doing so, you may want to take this into consideration.

15. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

News Credits:
    My MP-04 is horrible compared to both my first run MP Prime and MP Magnus. The paint seems a little mismatched and it practically falls off the metal it's so easy to chip, plus the chrome seems to wear off with even minimal handling.. And the sprue points where the parts were separated are awful, with huge pockmarks everywhere. The trailer bit was fine, but the Prime figure is just terrible.

He's sitting in the back of my closet, waiting to be repainted into Nemesis Prime. :p