MP-04 Masterpiece Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Thunderchief, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Thunderchief

Thunderchief Member

Hi, having not found a feedback thread for MP-04 I thought I'd start one.

First a bit of background on me as I'm new here; I’m an original G1 fan, there at the beginning, my first transformers were G1 Optimus Prime and Jetfire followed swiftly by Starscream and many many more. I didn't watch the cartoon much, although I had a couple of episodes on VHS. My main Transformers influence was the UK comic. My last Transformer before I moved on was Snaptrap from the Seacons.

Until about three months ago, I didn't own a single transformer, and then I discovered Binaltechs! And then Masterpiece! I now have 4 Binaltechs, MP-03 Starscream, A Yamoto VF-1S with Stealth Super/Strike Packs acting as my Masterpiece Jetfire, and a Yamoto Koenig Monster.

And Now MP-04! On to the Review.

My first impressions were good, the box is large and in the same style as MP-03 and the previous MP series I understand, I only own MP-03. Opening the Box reveals two more plain boxes, containing the robot and the trailer respectively. The plain the boxes contain a cardboard inset which holds the plastic "tray" to which the Robot is very well secured, with very many twist-ties. The Trailer is held by two plastic "end" pieces. Overall very well packed, the twist-ties are perhaps a bit excessive, but I'd rather have that than a broken toy.

Optimus Prime:

I won't go into too much detail as he is apparently nigh on identical to MP-01.

Good god he's heavy! I can understand why people who had MP-01 were disappointed with MP-03; however I can say that MP-04 has not dulled my enthusiasm for Screamer in any way. He is packed in robot mode, which unfortunately means that you don't get the slow reveal of the Robot from alt mode that I enjoyed so much with my other TFs.

Pros

Dicast, it just gives a toy weight and a quality feel, which you can't seem to get from plastic.

Looks, He's Optimus Prime, he just is!

Accessories, The Megatron Gun is just the coolest thing ever and despite being a bit big looks great in Screamers hands. The Energon axe is cool too.

Details, all the hydraulic pistons on his arms and legs, the vents that open on his legs and the communicator flaps on his arms with Megs and Grimlock on them.

Cons

Dicast, I have a couple of paint chips on the chest window frames.

Looks, My god his head is big, is it me or is his head really big? Plus his alt mode is quite poor compared to Binaltechs and MP-03.

Hands, a little weak on mine his rifle flops about a bit when held.

Weight, he's very heavy and that can make him a bit difficult to pose, plus if he fell off the shelf I think he might go through the floorboards! :D 

Overall

Very impressed the Minor problems are more than made up for by the Pros.

Trailer:

The trailer is a good replica of the cartoon version, all the expected external details are there. It is lighter than the rig section, and there is no dicast that I have found. The Trailer has a fold down stand at the front that allows the trailer to stay level when not attached to the Rig section. A fun feature of this (at least on mine) is if you reverse the Rig section up to the trailer it will fold the stand away and actually attach itself to the rig. I don’t know if this was a designed feature or a happy coincidence, but it’s cool none the less. A bit further down the trailer are the fold out stabilisers that are similar to the original trailer, these version fold out 90deg and then have a section that slides down to make contact with the ground. At the back are the suspended double axles, with four rubber tyres. Unlike the Original trailer the rear doors fold out like a real box trailer, however they only open 90deg, well about 89 actually. This reveals the ramp inside that folds down to allow access to the inside of the trailer for your Binaltechs to hide in. :D 

Opening the trailer to reveal the inside, you find the robot repair/gun platform thingy (I don’t know what to call it) but no Roller which is a bit of a shame. The Repair robot articulates in all the same ways as the original, plus the “packs” on the side that contain the lasers and hold the two manipulators also rotate 360deg. This allows the robot arm to be a bit more flexible than I remember the original. Unlike some of the promotional photos the lasers and the canopy of the repair robot are translucent red, not solid. The inside of the trailer is quite plain in colour it’s all silver, unlike the original that had stickers depicting various screens and controls. It does have a lot of moulded in detail however that could be painted to bring a bit of life to the interior. It also has places to store all three accessories which is useful.

Pros:

It exists, let’s face it any G1 Prime needs a Trailer and this is it!

Auto Hitch, if it’s a coincidence I don’t care it’s cool.

Binaltechs/Alternators fit inside.

Cons:

Plastic, it’s a bit light compared to the rig, and the plastic used on the shell seems a bit flimsy and cheap.

No Roller.

Lack of colour detail on the inside makes it look a bit cheap.

It’s Huge; I have nowhere to put this! :D 

I am now skint! :D 

Overall:

A very good addition to an already excellent toy, not quite up to the standards set by the Rig section but very good none the less.

I am very pleased with this toy, I had to really search for any cons at all. I highly recommend it to anyone who does not have MP-01. If you do have MP-01 then your choice is a bit more complex, I’m not sure I would pay £110 if I just wanted the trailer.

I hope that’s been useful

Simon.

2. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    nice reveiw, Ive been planning on grabbing up MP-4, but I havent been able to get the money saved for it, I think Ill have to save up rather quikly now... THANKS A LOT!! lol

3. Thunderchief

Thunderchief Member

Thanks, glad it was useful. I should mention that I have had problems getting Optimus to stand in the repair bay like it shows on the box and on a few promotion pictures, it's the ramp that he stands on, it slopes down. This causes OP to slide off as well, I've had to pack under the ramp to stop this from happening.

Simon.

4. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'm on the fence with this one... even though it's the same magnificent robot, almost $200 and no Roller? That makes no sense...

5. Heartagram28

Heartagram28 Soundwave owns!

How big is the trailer?

6. Thunderchief

Thunderchief Member

It's in scale to the rig so quite big, you can fit an alternator inside when closed, and three side by side when open in base mode. approximate dimensions are:

Trailer mode

Length - 14"

Height - 6" to 7"

Width - 4" to 5"

Base mode

Length - 17"

Height - 4" to 5" with repair bot lowered, about 10" extended.

Width - 12" to 13"

Repair mode

Length - 4"

Height - 14" plus extra for the repair bot

Width - Same as base mode 12" to 13"

These figures are aproximate, as I am at work and don't have access to it to measure it. I'll try to replace with correct figures later.

Simon.

7. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Also, for those who have the MP-01, TAKOMY made a slight mod to Convoy, His communicators are different. Instead of having Bumblebee and screamer, he now has Grimlock and Megatron.. Im noticing that theres a pattern here...

8. @l3x

@l3x Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think I know what you're getting at, but without a Masterpiece Bumblebee there is no concrete hope for Grimlock.

On topic, I had no idea that the trailer/base was that big.

9. flamingdog

flamingdog New Member

I think it's really kind of poor that they couldn't make the trailer interior more detailed and colourful. I really resent buying a whole new MP-01 figure just to get a trailer that looks like it's had no attention paid to it.

10. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

Hey Thunderchief (or anyone else who has MP-04), will this trailer work with the Hasbro 20th Anniversary Optimus? I've seen a few auctions for this trailer alone and I'm starting to like it more, but don't want to get it if it won't connect to Prime in tractor-trailer mode.

11. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    The individual trailers might be the fan-produced ones, rather than the Takara one. If they're in what looks like Masterpiece packaging they're almost certainly fan-produced items.

12. Biboset

Biboset Member

Any places where I could see pics of the masterpiece starscream and this prime with trailer?

13. Thunderchief

Thunderchief Member

Unfortunately I don't have 20th Prime, however as long as it has the flip out socket for the trailer on back of the inside left leg, then it should work fine.

Simon.

14. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

All in all, having just gotten MP-4, I will say it is not my wisest investment, but certainly not my poorest.

To start the package was a bit crushed - no problem.

Having unpackaged him, I found that there was many minor/irking paint issues, not found typically among the other releases. It just generally felt sloppier and the windows have the same alignment issue that my MP-1 had. *irk* The right leg didn't want to slide in - the spring that holds it doesn't work as well as the on the other side. In fact, I think the mold is a bit fargone. I mean, this is, what?, the 5-6th use of the mold (if you count lucky draw)? I think an Ultra Magnus Perfect Edition should be the final use of the mold (if that).

Upon transformation I found that the cab doesn't come together as well as the older versions - there's a slight downward tilt on the cab, which plain looks weird, along with the window alignment issue.

The trailer continues the minor paint quibbles I had, but is overall nice. Again, it's been said, but no Roller is a disappointment. It really makes the trailer look barren. Still, the fact that it's basically an upscaled THS-02 trailer is good. With that said, as a simple trailer, I much prefer the JustiToys version for two reasons:

1) The blue stripes on the side are darker and thicker and looks more appealing to the eye and cohesive with Op connected.
    2) The wheel area is roughly the same blue as Op and fashioned in a similar style, making it more cohesive, as opposed to the official one which is predominantly black and very dark blue.

Nevertheless, the official trailer as a base is very nice, holds weapons, stores Alts/BTs and looks great in silver.

In conclusion: If you don't have MP-01 or it's ilk and a JustiToys trailer, then get this. If you're a completist (like me :)  ), then I can't stop you. For what it's worth, what the figure has brought to the table, for $180 shipped, isn't really worth it, especially given QC and mold errors. Nevertheless, it's a good starter figure and probably the MP Op to consider if you don't have any at all.

15. Mewtwo

Mewtwo Transform & Bamboo out

I'm sorry if I'm bringing up a old topic or something that's been mentioned many places.

I got a MP-04 awhile back and I just wanted to know if other people's had some small issues too?

There are small things here and there like paint being scratched up here or there. But that's ok. One thing that I notice more is that the chest windows are aligned completely. Is this common? Is it common for the left (His right) one to be lower and not pushed back as far? So that when it's closed it doesn't close completely level?

I am asking this because this is my first MP-04. But I had recently gotten 20th DVD special edition version and that one's windows seem fine. There is a bit of a gap but other then that they line up nicely.

So I'm just wondering if I should be thinking I got one that is a bit more messed up or if it's a bit more common for the MP-04's (Or MP-01's) to have misaligned windows?

Again sorry if this is looked against of brining up old topics or asking something that might have been asked a million times before. Excuse my ignorance as I am a newb to these forms.

Thanks in advance.

16. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Mine had unaligned windows too. I bent them a lil closer together, its almost on the level but still not quite. My other lil gripe too is that, in truck mode, the tops of the arms, have a wee bit of a gap by the "windows" on both sides. Im sure its completely normal, but its there. Mine shipped in great condition besides, and I didn't have mp-01 so I got I got this one. Heavy piece of machinery this thing is. I like it. Chrome is good on all parts but the tops of the stacks, the chrome is weak. One set of the rims on the back of the trailer are kinda like not chromed like the other ones, but it kinda looks like it was supposed to be that way?
    Linked up with the trailer, its a great display, all my friend's instantly knows what it is when they see it. And thats cool.

17. Angel Magnus

Angel Magnus Well-Known Member

Misaligned windows are standard on this mold. MP-01, MP-02, 20th Prime, DVD Prime and now MP-04 all have the same... er... "feature".

BTW, the trailer doors do open beyond 90 degrees. You have to give them a firm push, but they click into place at a couple of key angles. It feels like you're going to break them, but once you do it, they loosen up a bit. It also helps if you push the side wall of the trailer inwards a bit near where it joins the roof, because it will help you feel less like you're going to split the wall of the trailer away from the roof.

I just got my MP-04 and it was the same way. I checked one of the online galleries, and it confirmed that the trailer doors are supposed to open further, so I just gripped the trailer walls together firmly, pushed a little harder on the doors and, voila.

For pics, see http://tfw2005.com/gallery/ or http://seibertron.com/toys/

>AM<

18. BTShockwave

BTShockwave Active Member

Does anyone else have the legs problem with the MP-04? On mine the LEFT leg didn't want to slide in. I managed to slide the right leg in but now I can't slide it back out. If anyone has had this problem and knows how to remedy it I would really appreciate it.

19. fightinfilipino

fightinfilipino New Member

i just recently picked up an MP-04 and have the misaligned windows "feature". i'm wondering if it's possible to disassemble the chest somewhat and fix the misalignment...

[​IMG]

does anyone know if this is possible?

20. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I believe there is a defect w/ the mold. All MP Primes (MP-01, MP-04 and 20th Anni Prime) have that same problem. For some reason though, the MP Ultra Magnus doesn't have that problem as often (mine doesn't and I know other people have reported that theirs lines up better).

I don't know if there is a fix for this or not though, but I thought the background info might help.