MP-04 How do I tell if it is used or double taped?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Golgo-013, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Golgo-013

Golgo-013 The Professional

Do any of you collector experts know how I would tell if this MP-04 is factory sealed or used?

Does anyone have any pictures of how the packaging looks right when you open the box?

Well, I thought I got a pretty good deal on ebay.
    I bought MP-04, BTA-01, and BTA-02 for a very good price. They are all supposed to be mint in sealed box.

Well, I just got them and every one of them is double taped. The BTA-01 box flap is bent as if it had been opened. So I emailed the guy asked him about it. He said there all double taped from the factory. The MP-04 is double taped on all 4 spots on both sides.

It seems very unlikely that all 3 of these items just happened to be double taped from the factory, especially the MP-04.

Can any of you guys help out before I open these?

2. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I have to say that none of the Takara stuff I have imported has ever been doubled taped in the fashion you describe.

The only thing close to that I have had was with my MP-03 and MP-04 that were both sealed in durable plastic around the box, but were still taped on the box itself under the plastic. I chalk my instance up to really good packing.

3. Golden Age

Golden Age BATTLE BEAST

It could be a pain but I say you should return em.

4. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Sounds like a liar to me. I say return them for a refund.

5. Golgo-013

I can return them, but he won't refund the shipping I paid or the shipping I pay to send it back. So I'll lose a total of about $50-60.

Then if he is a liar, he might just claim that the items are not in the condition he sent them in and not refund my money. Because he has to recieve the item before I get the refund.

Damn ebay, its such a scam, but that's my own fault for using it.

I might just be better keeping them, but it sucks because I wasn't going to open MP-04.

6. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

**Nevermind**

7. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I don't have MP-04 but my MP-03 was double taped (one tape on top of another) and my came straight outta the Takara shipping box from Digital-Toys (ordered 8 sets)

8. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

A lot of takara stuff is double taped. I think almost everything I have got from them is doulbe tapped. My MP 01 and 03 are, my Twicast , most of the BTs and BTAs all are. so I think it is just something they do.

9. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Are the items in condition? No sign or wear and tear? If its in good condition then keep it and save the trouble of refunds. Just be careful next time on what you're bidding for in eBay. We'll that's just my two cents. : ) Just like you said, it's a pretty good deal or is it?

10. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    A customer just contacted me about a retaped MP-04...I wonder if he just saw this thread!

We did have a MP-03 and MP-04 opened and inspected at customs, but those cases were marked and the opened items were pulled and put in my office. The opened items were not retaped by customs. Since we order by the case it almost certain that any MP-03 or MP-04 that is double taped was done by Takara.

Off the top of my head, I would say some of my recent e-Hobby and BTAs purcahses were double taped by Takara, but the packaging was still minty.

The seller in the first thread should have clearly indicated that the packaging was jacked up, even if he was selling a MISB item at reduced price.

11. Golgo-013

Thatnks for the help guys.

My MP-03 was not double taped and I only have 1 or 2 Binaltech out of 10 that are double taped. And when I say double taped I mean the first tape seal is broken of course.

The BTA-01 is rough and torn on one corner and the bubbles on both BTAs are really rough. Sunstreaker face has a gouge and scrape, could be factory. That stuff I don't mind cause I was going to take them out and I can fix the face. The MP-04 box is good condition besides double taped looks fine, but I wanted to keep that one MISB, so I wonder if I would have problem if I resale.

The main thing is I don't want to open them and find out there is a bigger problem, from the look I got a feeling that they had been opened.

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    What difference does it make? It may as well be a brick in there if you're NEVER going to open it and you're not planning on selling it.

Never could understand the whole "OMG the tape is cut!" mindset.

13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    What's the big deal about being double taped? So what if someone put another piece of tape over the already existing one? As long as neither piece is cut, I don't see the issue. I've had many reissues ( both Takara and Hasbro ) come double taped from the factory. I don't know why it happens, just that it does.

14. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I never had anything double taped from Takara, or Hasrbo even and would be wondering the same thing if I did. Especially 3 at once.

If it were me Id open it for inspection and double tape it back. Since it was already double taped to begin with. If you find something missing or messed up, then you can get midevil on some buttox

It's probably no big deal, but yeah we collectors pay too much for our goodies and like to ensure we're not jetting juiced in any way. I usually find myself being too paranoid at times though when there's really no worries.

15. Golgo-013

Yeah I could be being paranoid think I'll have to open them for inspections. Galvatron, one of the pieces of tape is cut on every item. And Moonman, I was thinking about maybe selling the MP-04 in the future, that's the thing.

16. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Takara themselves may reopen a small percentage of toys after they roll of the production line for quality control purposes. I know Kenner did it back in the day.

(Yes- quality control and Binaltech Asterisk and two phrases that AREN'T usually connected.)

When they're ALL double-taped, i think it's pretty safe to say there's something up.

17. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

I think 2 or 3 of my BTs were double-taped (as in first tape was cut and a new one was put over it). According to my regular BT provider it came that way from the factory and is part of the inspection routine.
    Now I don't have any way to be sure of that of course, but in all cases the toys themselves were factory-mint.

18. Golgo-013

I opened the stuff. Everything is in good condition no problems or missing parts. But all 3 of these figures have been removed from their twist ties and bubble trays. MP-04 and trailer have been removed from there twist ties and tray and then twisted back on. I guess there is no real way to know if stuff is double taped from the factory or someone else.

No harm done, ended up with MP-04 out of the box. I'll just have to take some pictures. QC on this MP-04 is rock solid. The red paint on metal is off, besides that nothing, very tight fit on everything and paint.

19. TSFC

TSFC Banned

My Galaxy Force Master Megatron was doubletaped out the wazoo. Plus with BBTS sending me one of *THE* shittiest boxes they had, I automatically thought it had been opened, and resealed.

Come to find out that it hadn't. The figure was perfect C-10 dead mint, along with all the inserts.

EDIT: Golgo, the bastard ripped you off then. Problem is, as you mentioned you'd lose about $60.00 on the shipping. Plus you couldn't prove it to him (he won't see facts.)

If they're that much of a problem for you, try reselling them yourself and see what happens.

What happens to be the seller's name? This way we can learn to avoid him.

One more note: An excellent eBayer is Akitoys. I bought an assload of G.F. figures from him, and it was well under what I'd have paid at other stores and shipping was super fast.

20. Golgo-013

Do you think if MP-04 has been out of the twist ties that it is definitely not factory sealed? Like I said everything looks to be in perfect condition, but i don't know.