MP-04 Convoy Complete Differences from MP-01 Convoy

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by PoweredConvoy, Oct 6, 2006.

1. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    I plan on doing a full gallery with detailed pictures at http://www.cosmicrust.com in the near future, but I figured I'd let people know of the differences I've spotted in this figure from the original version.

First off, is obviously the trailer. I must admit it's nicer than I thought in most ways. The gray plastic is very nice, as is the stripe detailing. All of the little details inside and out are great. The trailer stand, the opening doors and ramp, the classic supports with extending support, and storage for the weapons are all great touchs. The lack of a Roller, and the simplicity of the command deck module are a little disappointing though.
    The Convoy's photon rifle is still gray for those of you who wanted to know.

Now for the differences of the actual Convoy figure.
    -First off, he seems to be a shade (just a bit) darker red than the original. But we do see this from time to time with figures of the same run, so I'd just chalk it up to batch differences.
    -The Energon Axe. Is very clear in the center, as oppossed to the more orange original and even more orange US version.
    -The windows. Are a lot more blue. This is not just a variation in plastic, as the difference in red can be explained by. Takara clearly used a different color, and it's much more blue. But still not as blue as the promotional pictures. Though a nice touch.
    -The matrix. This is probably chalked up to the different shade present on the windows. The matrix now lights up blue, instead of just white. The chrome is just the same (not like Magnus'). Not sure if the light is different (haven't explored it enough), but it definetly lights up blue (and the matrix's plastic is more blue) as oppossed to white.
    -His communication stickers. Now I found this to be the most exciting part, and I'll let the stickers speak for themselves (by the way the original had Bumblebee on the left arm and Starscream on the right, Magnus had Optimus/Convoy and a tech read out of some sort)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So how often does Grimlock prank call Optimus? I bet Prime's mad he gave Grimmy is cell phone number.

Though pricey, these little differences (blue windows, new stickers, blue light in matrix) make the money I spent on this version seem a little more worthwhile.

Randy

Edit: One more thing. The only thing I figured this figure would have different than the original is that his face plate sat higher on his face, which it does. MP-02 Magnus was the same way, so I figured MP-04 would be too. And thankfully I was correct as it looks better (to me at least).

2. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Thanks for detailing the differences.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    this is quite informative, but I don't quite think its something for the N&R forum, but more appropriately the Toyark :) 

4. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now I'm wondering what/who might show up on DVD 20th Prime's communicators.

Looking at my 20th Prime, I'm wondering why Prime's interested in talking to Starscream. Megatron makes sense in it's own way, since they often communicated for various reasons. Grimlock doesn't seem like a "phone it in" guy to me. :) 

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Cool, thanks for sharing. Anyone have any detailed pic's of this version with the trailer yet?

6. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yay! thank you

so is it worth it more to buy this one or the original? *or the hasbro reissue?*

i don't have any verison of this, so is it worth it more to buy this, or the original/american one, with and a trailer seperate? it's about the same, just about $20 dollars different. which is why i ask.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Suprised neither Hasbro or Takara has thought of sticking Elita-one's visage on one of Prime's screens.

Come to think of it, I'm surprised Grimlock's in robot mode on the screen pic. Most stuff I've seen from Takara seem to vastly prefer dino mode.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, thanks for the pointing out the various differences. I think its a nice touch that MP04 has stickers of Megs and Grimlock! By the way, are the windows of MP04 blue enough to hide the infamous "screws" that could be seen in MP01?

9. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    IF the cost to you is only $20, then by all means order the Takara one. The new Hasbro one has a blue gun and yellow paint aps on the head. NOT cool. Plus you get long smoke stacks as well. I also assume you are talking about the transformable trailer that comes seperate. If not, you should definately get the Takara one because it transforms. Though I can't see the new Hasbro Prime and the KO transformable trailer being $20 less than MP-04. That stupid trailer ( with the good stickers ) will run you over $100. Factor in the $70 for prime and MP-04 is cheaper at http://www.tfsource.com even after you factor shipping.

10. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    It's the same on the 20th DVD edition: Megatron and Grimlock.

11. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

Pretty cool, thanks for letting us know.

12. Deemer

Deemer Well-Known Member

My MP04 seems to have clear windows.

13. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    Interesting differences...

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

actually i was meaning the non-transformable trailer. but thanks for the info

is the official one bigger or smaller in any way? any one have a trailer comperison yet?

and i really don't mind the smaller stacks and such, nor the lack of chrome. how ever, the blue gun does bug me a little. does the movie prime have all the electronics still, of the original verison? does it still have some diecast?

15. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

The Japanese TF image board has posted comparison images of the 2 trailers:

http://transformers.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cgi-bin/imgboard.cgi

Another small question though, how tight his Prime's face plate? The original MP Prime's face plate sorta dangled ever so slightly downwards, thereby exposing his cheek bones a little bit. This was corrected with MP Magnus, and his face plate covered his cheeks and face properly. Is this the case with MP-4 Prime?

EDIT: Whoops! Re-read your first post and it answered my question :D .

16. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Thanks for the info PC. That Cosmic Rust is a great site btw, been going there for years.

17. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, I had no idea MP-04 had variations. o_o

That's just cruel to dump on completionisty folks.

18. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Aww jeez, you're making me want one of these now!