MP-03: The Aftershock

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Phorpus, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

So, Masterpiece Starscream has been out now for a few months, isn't being produced anymore (so I hear), and is beginning to shelfwarm in Japan.

I've yet to purchase one because there has been overwhelming and lengthy essays on its faults, such as the weak plastic (Especially at the wing joints and flaps), easy stress marks, rubbing off of paint, peculiar color scheme, etc.

So I currently amassed enough excess money to indulge in Starscream but I wanted to know how yours has held up after a good breaking in period, no pun intended. For a detractor, would you say it's worth it if handled well enough or would it still crumble after transformed a few times no matter how nursing you are?

How has this figure held up?

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm in the same boat. I'm holding off.

3. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Other than a few loose joints and the annoying rub off shoulder stripes (neither of which are a big deal) he's held up just great. I've transformed him numerous times with no signs of breakage or even stress marks. I've been pondering the idea of unloading him, but certainly not because he's a bad figure or there are any problems. Just might need the money...

4. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Hold off, the Takara screamer is nice, but he's fragile. I'm terrified on transforming mine again for fear of breaking the thing. He does make a pretty jet mode though.

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah I'm hoping to find one for cheaper at BOTCON.

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Just make sure to store it in a safe place. Last Botcon SW.CA spilt a bottle of cranberry juice or something all over the dresser where I had my stuff stacked and he didn't tell me about it. Consequently, my Screamer box was a soggy, juice ladden mess.

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    :lolol 

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    that's awesome! please tell me what evil brotherly-love retaliation insued?

9. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

my mp03 came with a few stress marks here and there. Also he came with the same face. I just transformed him once, took some photos and returned it back to the box and to my safe storage.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    There are a LOT of problems with MP-03, so if you haven't bought it already, don't convince yourself that you should just to have it. Between the stress marks that show up after one transform, the inablity to stand on its own in a lot of cases, the overwhelming QC problems, the bad paint job, the fact that it's SO delicate you don't even want to transform it more than once or twice, etc etc etc., it's a pile of overpriced shit that most people end up using as a jet model display more than a Transformer masterpiece figure... which makes it kind of self defeating since you're paying for *Starscream*, not a model jet.

I'd say hold off and wait to see if Takara decides to re-release it. Even if a new version is just animation accurate colors with no upgraded tweaks on QC, at least it'll finally look like Starscream, whereas the current one is more or less just a sea green figure that transforms with the TF name on the box.

Personally, I'm glad it's not selling well in Japan either. Maybe the message will finally get through to Takara that they seriously dropped the ball on this one, both in terms of accuracy (ie: what collectors actually wanted out of this masterpiece as opposed to what the designer wanted) and abundant quality control issues.

11. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    Mine has held up just fine. I havent noticed any stress marks, but because of the words of caution that I read here and elsewhere while I was waiting for it to arrive, I was very delicate with him anytime I transformed him. That being said, I've tf'd him a number of times, each time being careful not to put too much stress on certain areas.

I have had some of his stripes wear off his shoulders, but I really dont like the stripes anyway, so I really dont care.

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll eventually get one as I collect seekers, but I know I won't TF it more than once.

13. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

I'm keeping my hopes up that Takara will eventually release an anime accurate version.

14. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i'm holding off for a 35% sale at bbts or bill's, personally.

15. Such Heroic Nonsense

Such Heroic Nonsense No!

I have the Mega SCF of Screamer on my shelf and that's the way it's staying.

[​IMG]

Screamer.

[​IMG]

Weiner

16. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Yes. The trick however is to get one that was put together correctly.

17. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    mines got a couple stress marks [nothin major]

that and one of the hinges on the wings is cracked. it hasnt like fell apart though i am leary about transforming him too much

i still love him tho <3

*edit*

oh and after a few minutes of just spacing out, i finally get your sig pic redline
    HAH

>_____>

18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I have a couple minor stress marks from normal usage. I mean, nothing looks like it's about to break or anything. I even bumped my desk a while back with my knee and he fell off the display stand, hit the top of my desk, then my computer, and then my hands as I caught him. Not a scratch on him.

19. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I keep mine in his box and don't take him out to transform that often. I don't regret getting him, but I wish I'd waited to see if there was a better deal on him going. No QC issues but that's becuase I avoid handling him whenever possible.

20. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I TFed mine twice, didn't see any problems, and he's been in his box ever since. I'd say wait for a repaint; I mean it can't get much worse in terms of color, right?