MP-01 - Is it really the ultimate Convoy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Nightrain, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Since I promptly placed my pre-order for MP-01, I began thinking about the comparisons between that and the various other incarnations of Convoy.

As a toy, as in, something you actually play with, MP-01 has the size to destroy any other Convoy. Yet, it takes 10 minutes to transform, as opposed to 30 seconds with any other.

But as a display-only piece, is MP-01 adequate? Or do the others contribute something that MP-01 simply can't?

And if it is only a display piece(assumingly robot form), then wouldn't a non-transforming, articulated action figure of the same size for half the price serve just as well?

2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

actually, i still think the ultimate convoy is the original, every other one is just a new incarnation of it. actually i think the ultimate convoy, is Optimus Prime, *which to me is a far better name!* he might be big, he might be loaded with details, he might look a lot more like the show, but there is one thing it does not hold a candle at all to the originals, and that is the fact that you mentioned... it takes 10 freak'n minutes to transform! how the heck can you possibly expect a kid to be able to play with that thing? and have it fight and destroy other transformers? it is a toy after all. to me a transformer should be able to switch modes pretty quickly, which is why i love the original a whole lot more. and will always like it more, plus it is the on that set the standards for all generations after it, it even set the standards for master piece himself! so, the original optimus prime is king! and masterpiece is just the jack.

3. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I LIKE that it takes "ten frickin minutes" to transform... afterall, thatIS the whole point to a transformer ;)  I mean it. other than having them on display, I like to occasionally transform them. its not FUN to pose them, it looks great afterwards, but I spend a lot more time transforming toys than I do posing them. its the catch of the entire genre.

Andy

4. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

yes but then when you're playing war, it's such a pain! :lol 

5. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i would say, yes.

it has the size and heft.

it has the poseability.

it has the accoutrements.

it still transforms, regardless of difficulty level.

its got the touch, its got the power, yeah.

6. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I've never taken 10 mins to transform Masterpiece prime, do you handle it with extreme care? It's not the THS Hybrid series, you can go a little faster...

7. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Originally, the cars were meant to be display pieces, just like models. This is evidenced by a Diaclone commercial that features, almost solely, Jazz. It seems that around that time, the Porsche was a big deal. You weren't buying a character that happened to turn into a Porsche, you were buying a kickass Porsche that had the bonus of being a robot.

Basically you were buying really cool cars, and if you were ready to play with action figures, you could quickly access them. That's where the disconnect between children and collectors are in regards to Masterpieces and Alternators. Collectors, including myself, tend to like the intricacy and challenge of more complex transformations. I believe children just want to have their action figures, armed and ready, at will. Those are generalizations mind you, I'm sure it varies greatly.

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    but I'm referring to Transformers, not Diaclone, they're really two separate lines, even if most of the original transformers were borrowed from the Diaclone line. They've always been marketed about their transforming ability, hence the whole more than meets the eye tag line.

9. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    In terms of being a toy that kids can play with and enjoy, I think MP Prime is a bit much. He's likely a bit too heavy and way more complicated than they'd enjoy dealing with.

If we're talking about a collectible piece, than yes. He's the best. He's big so he'll draw attention, great details and articulation, he transforms, he's got a freaking light up matrix... c'mon, nothing else out there is even close to that.

10. GALVATOM

GALVATOM Well-Known Member

20th Anniversary Prime or MP1 Convoy kicks ass. For me he has set a new standard for Transformers. He makes Galaxy Convoy look like a McDonalds toy and he makes Mcdonalds toys look like dog terd. For me he is the Ultimate Prime and will be hard to top!

11. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    He is pretty good, but he's not perfect IMO. For that he would have needed bigger legs, now he just seems out of proportion. But he's still one of my favourites.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

With his fine detailing and modern craftsmanship , you'd think he'd stick out like a sore thumb in a group of G1's, but he pretty much adds to the vibe instead of making it look a little off.
    He's not awkard looking in a group of Primes since there are so many versions of him.
    In a group of G1 Primes he looks right at home.

Good thing is he's pretty thin with nothing hanging off anywhere, so if needed he easily tucks away in a back corner and tall enough to turn the head to face wherever, without being blocked.

These may give you a hint of what to expect-

With some G1's . He looks pretty good with PM Prime
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/Generation%201/display_shelf2.jpg

With AA Primal
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/Beast%20Machines/AAMpPrimes.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v148/loebig/Beast%20Machines/Misc10061.jpg

Or there's also a themed collection thread which has a few Prime collections posted for more ideas, here
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=94594

G1 Prime will always be at top for me, but if we're talking Prime incarnations only, then Yes, MP -01 is the ultimate Prime. IMO He'd be my first choice to show some adult non -transfans If I wanted them to take interrest.
    I would probably disagree with that If Iv'e never actually held him in my hands.

Only thing the others can contrubute that he can't is nostalgia, but not for long.
    Plus he has rubber tires.
    You can get the MP trailer for around $50 now. Then his Alt mode also makes a nice ultimate Convoy. Or atleast instantly recognizeable as Prime

13. UDontKnowSith

UDontKnowSith NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Hell yes he's the ultimate Optimus Prime. I don't see why people are complaing about "10 minute transformations". I can transform him in half the time it takes to transform any of my Alts.

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah...the beauty of the G1 toys were their simplicity...where the gimmick was just "transforming". One has to admit that the toys (alternate modes) were good for its time.

As for MP Convoy being the "ultimate" Prime...hmmm, I would say close but not quite. E.g. overly complex transformation and being too top heavy are some of its flaws...

15. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

To me he is the ultimate convoy. I love that mold!

16. Sledge

Sledge Well-Known Member

He is the ultimate for now. It really shouldn't take long at all to transform him. It takes me more time to transform the LOC Soundwave than my 20th anniversary Prime.

17. dgblast5

dgblast5 Well-Known Member

I have yet to place my pre-order. Here is my chance to get him and yes, I think he is the ultimate prime.

Just wondering, what would you chose? The MP-01 or the UK Hasbro release one? I really don't care about the shortened smokestacks, but the MP-01 has that nice box, as opposed to the Hasbro one. But I like the black gun in the Hasbro one more. Both are same price for pre-order on BBTS..

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the original optimus prime is my favorite transformer. none of the other versions of the original optimus prime can hold a candle to the original in my eyes. they may have more accessories, they may be more posable, but for the original, you had to use your imagination a lot. it pretty much forces you to. plus, its the only version of the character that has a massive line around it that it can interact with, and not be out of scale.

19. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He is still easier to transform than some alternators. I have the Hasbro, I think I will pre-order the Takara, just cause I think the name Convoy is cooler.

20. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

At 1st I though he was difficult to transform...now after having him since he was released I find him pretty simple. It takes me about 2 minutes to transform him, and yet it STILL takes me 15 min to transform Alt Grimlock and Wheeljack! Damn Mustang molds are impossible..I always forget how to get their arms back in.

I think he is the ultimate convoy/Optimus Prime. He looks great, and even better with the MP trailer I got for him. Nothing better then a giant G1 Prime :D 

As for which one to get? I would go with the MP over the hasbro version. That is what I have. I passed on the 20th anniversay Prime in stores so many times. THe short stacks and ugly battle damge really turned me off. I didn t want a "damaged" prime...I wanted a Prime that looked like the day he was created.