MP-01 Convoy Question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ectocooler, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ectocooler

ectocooler Well-Known Member

Is there a way to tell if it is a first release, and does it matter? I bought the figure in 2006 or 2007 off of eBay and the seller said it was a first release but I'd like to be sure in case I need to sell it to pay off my debt.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

2. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    From Transformers: Masterpiece - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^

Nice info but I think the OP was asking about the difference between the 2003 release and the Takara MP-01 reissue:2c: 

As for me, I have no idea. Some MP reissues fix fragile parts but I don't remember MP-01 having anything easy to break.

4. Willocrew

Willocrew Well-Known Member

I think it does not matter. So long as ur MP01 has no QC issues that some of the re-releases have then ur fine.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I don't recall an actual reissue of that ever happening. Could be wrong though.

6. ectocooler

I'm pretty sure they've done second and third runs of the original MP-01 (I should clarify that I'm not talking about MP-04 or the Hasbro releases). Online retailers would get huge restocks from Takara after being sold out for years.

I should also note that the box is still sealed so I'm not able to tell from the actual figure.

Thanks for the help guys

7. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    If you got it in 06 or 07 and it's MP-01 and Not MP-04 it's most likely the 1st run. If you got it last year it might be the Final Edition. (That has markings on it denoting it as such.

8. Kuma Style

Kuma Style Toy Photography TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    He was looking at how to distinguish what one he has for resale purposes, and what I posted shows all of the differences between the MP-Prime releases.

At least that's how I read it? I dunno. Doesn't what I posted answer what you stated as well?

9. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got ya! Back when MP-01 was WOWING everyone, he skyrocketed in price.

So, in typical Takara fashion, they reissued MP-01 a year or 2 before MP-04. I don't remember the exact time frame but there was a reissue.

Kinda like how they reissued Henkei Rodimus a couple of months ago. Just one of those random, out of the blue reissues

10. ectocooler

I think it's a first run, but I was hoping there was some way to be 100% sure. Like if the ISBN would give it away or something. I'd hate to advertise it as being something it's not.

Exactly. I'm pretty sure Takara has been doing reruns of MP-01 without making a big deal about it, and now that you mention it I remember the restock was around the same time as MP-04 came out. I think they might have even reissued MP-04 once as well. [Edit: This might be what I'm thinking of for MP-04]

But judging from the feedback here, it doesn't seem like anyone would care.

Thanks for the help!

[Edit] I think this is what I'm talking about and they even address that it's a straight reissue.

11. PoweredConvoy

PoweredConvoy Randy of the Allspark

News Credits:
    There is likely a date stamp at the bottom of the packaging listing when it was produced.

Randy

12. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not only second or third run for the 1st version of MP-01,am sure they may have done numerous run on this piece, that is why the reason how come online retailers still able to get so many pieces after years of being sold out

13. Jaicen

Jaicen Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Indeed, every 'run' has a unique date code on the bottom. If it's a rerun to coincide with MP04, it likely has the chest fix, which in my opinion is the superior release.

14. ectocooler

Interesting... this date code, can you help me find it? All I can see is a copyright 2003. If it was a reissue, would it have an updated year? Here are a few pics I took.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Off topic, but this is the first I've heard of a chest fix. I don't exactly stay in the loop. Does the original Hasbro release have the chest fix? And what exactly needed fixing?

15. OptimusScream

OptimusScream 5 SECOND LEADER

News Credits:
    It's original because of the red Takara sign instead of the blue takara tomy one

16. REMINATOR

REMINATOR Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From your box images, it appears to be the original version. The code matched my original MP1 box image. I said appear because MP1 was reissued a couple of time and they may have the same box/ text/ color/ logo. Also, I don't recall whether those early reissues happened before or after the merging with Tomy. The after one is easy to tell because you can see the blue Tomy logo.