Moving your collection.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by seali_me, Feb 20, 2012.

1. seali_me

seali_me Dakilang Mandirigma

Last night it took me hours to box most of our stuff and left my collection untouched. I'm planning on transforming every single one of them in alt mode to minimize damage and losing parts. I got my bubble wrap, newspapers and boxes. I barely touch my Alternators and Binaltech toys. I don't want any of them to lose its sheen. I'm afraid I don't have their individual boxes anymore and the bubblewrap will cause marks on the sheen.

Any advice or experiences moving your collection?

2. grimster

grimster Well-Known Member

just the obvious.

Take your time and make sure to pack weapons and accessories together with the bot. I made the mistake of putting all loose weapons and parts in a bag once, and now i cant for the life of me remember what goes where. Needless to say, i have quite a few bots not ready for battle...

3. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    for alts, i wrap them in soft shirts, making sure any buttons or anything is far away from them, instead of marking the sheen, it polishes them slightly lol

4. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    All my regular Transformers got put in large Rubbermaid bins, they all got moved twice, no padding whatsoever, no damage at all. Even my expensive Macross, SOC, Brave Gokin, etc. toys were placed in large Rubbermaid bins or stiff cardboard boxes, with some bubblewrap this time, again, no damage at all.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just put them in a box. They're not fine china. Unless you're planning to kick the boxes around a lot, they'll be fine. I've moved several times & never had anything get damaged.

6. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    See when I moved about 5 years ago, all of my shit (save Depth Charge & Quickstrike) was already stored away (in alt mode) inside a big plastic tub. I had one for Transformers & one for Power Rangers, so these were actually very easy to move. The shit that wasn't was basically my lego that I failed at having not get smashed, even though I put all of this stuff in the back of my car instead of letting the movers at it. Like, I had space anyways, so why not?

[​IMG]

Here's a pic I took about half way here. Not like you can see any of the toys, but eh. :) 

7. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    When I pack mine, I use a large baggie for each one, with weapons in a smaller baggie, and bubble wrap the lining of the storage box. DON'T use cardboard boxes. I learned my lesson the hard way a few years back.

8. Zendai

Zendai Minicon Addict

I wrapped mine in Paper towels. It worked for me.

9. seali_me

Did some of them get crushed during the move?

10. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I used everything from paper towels to regular towels. The baggies are good advice. I moved most of mine in plastic totes. I tried to avoid using cardboard boxes. Lots and lots of padding for your loss figures!

11. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Advice for Packing Transformers/ Displays for Move

So after my wonderful experience of the last two plus months, I got a job and will be moving. So I ask the experts here for any advice on how to pack my guys for the big move, 100+ plus miles to another state. Any bit of advice given is appreciated. I just have my car, and will NOT let a moving company touch my stuff. ( bad experiences from the Military- I hate JPPSO!)

12. seali_me

13. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Wrap anything that feels Fragile in Bubblewrap. IF it has an altmode that it can transform into and it isn't Prime Megatron, Movie Megatron, or Movie The fallen, Transform it into vehicle mode before packing it away. Put all heavy figures on the bottom of the box (Make sure the bottom of the container STAYS the bottom of the container) and if you're putting many die-cast figures into a case, ALWAYS double-tape the bottom of the box (If you're using Cardboard Boxes) unless you fancy your heavy toys tearing open the bottom of the box and breaking as they hit the pavement.

14. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Invest in some of those big plastic bins (Sterilite, Rubbermaid) as well as some ziploc bags. Use towels and/or bubblewrap to wrap loose figures and put all loose weapons/parts/manuals in the ziploc bags.

15. optimusfan

optimusfan Kill your heroes Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'll merge this with the thread listed above as it's not that old.

The advice here is solid otherwise. I moved just over a year ago. Each figure was transformed into whatever mode I considered less fragile, usually the alt mode. They were then each individually bubble wrapped, with any unsupported or fragile pieces supported with rolled up bits of bubble wrap. Lastly, everything was packed up in some of the heavy duty Rubbermaid containers.

It took between 32-40 hours of solid work to do, and my collection is pretty modest.

16. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, this. Honestly, they're designed for being knocked about by kids. Your Binaltech stuff, Masterpiece, your 3rd Party stuff, take a bit more care - but mainline stuff will be fine.

17. MetalicGrunt

News Credits:
    Thanks for all the advice. I was just at home depot and saw some of those plastics tubs, and grabbed a few. My only things now is my MISB guys, as I just got all 4 of the Movie seekers. The funniest part of all will be having to take down my displays, disassemble, move, then reassemble. Damn, I feel like Johhny 5. No Disassemble!

18. Sweep

Sweep worse then vehicon drones

I used a couple rubbermaid totes, and bubble wrap I saved from all my BBTS purchases. Lace the bottom of the tote with bubble wrap, try to fit as many figures flat on their backs as you can without them touching one another, lace another layer of bubble wrap on top and repeat until you get to the top of the tote. I put it in the back seat with a seat belt on it, and just took as many trips as I needed too.

19. Alejandro27

Alejandro27 Well-Known Member

I moved from Los Angeles, CA to Tampa, FL I packed my figures in altmode in bubble wrap in big moving boxes. Not a single one got damaged. All my classics and G1 figures were pretty much lose wrapped each one in it's own bubble wrap. My MP's back in the box wrapped them in 13 gallon trash bags in the moving boxes and not one box got damaged. It's all about packing them with care. I can't tell you the hours it took, I swear the most time consuming of the packing was my collection lol

20. MetalicGrunt

News Credits:
    Once Again, thanks for all the good d.o.p.e