moving/ storing help

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Dayvcon, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Dayvcon

Dayvcon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    hi, i will be moving to a new house in about a month and i need help.

1, does anyone have any tips on storing tf's so that they will get to the new house o.k. (its a hour drive away)

2, any tips on keeping dust away from the tf's when i start to display them?

3,And when storeing/displaying the Tf's with batteries (g1 omega supreme, g1 shockwave) should i remove the batteries?

4, is there any way to keep shockwave's hose from cracking(or any tf's tires in that case)

Thanks for any help and God Bless,

Dayv

2. omega knight

omega knight Chibi lancelot launch

News Credits:
    put the big ones in frist and puut em all in alt mode

3. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

1. Transform them in such a way that as few pieces as possible are sticking out. This may mean some freaky hybrid form. I personally have my entire collection on display, and I'm not an MIB guy, so when I moved I used plastic tubs and some bubblewrap and just put them in the car with the delicate stuff instead of in the uhaul.

2. As for the dust, the only way that's going to be prevented is if you have a good sealed display case (or at least one with doors). I bought the Billy bookcase from Ikea. You can buy glass fronted doors for it, as well as lights that go in the top and middle shelf, and glass shelves to go with. There's also other modular things like height extenders and junk, and depending on the size of your collection, you can buy enough of them to cover a wall. They're made to be able to line a wall as a unit. If there's an Ikea store near you it might be cool to go and take a look. The only downside I've found is that they really need the wall bracket with the doors. It's fine if they're closed, but it'll fall over when they're open. Plan on getting some molly screws to put in your drywall.

3. I've always been told batteries can corrode, so I've kept them out of my stuff most of the time.

4. Check this link out for the tires. http://www.dakroland.com/tires101.html The guy frequents these boards.

4. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got a bunch of the free Priority mail boxes from the post office. Not super huge but packs well. When I put figures in it, I stand them up in the box and fill the box. this way there really isn't any weight on the figures to bend or break them. Fill it enough so they don't slide around but don't overfill it.

5. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I bought a bunch of big plastic pins (rubbermaid or sterilite or something) for mine. For the G1s, I put all the accessories in bags (like 6 bot's worth per bag) and leave those to put on top. Put down a layer of either bubble wrap or peanuts on the bottom, they either wrap each peice in bubble wrap or just pour the peanuts on. Energon and other recent stuff I just laid gently into a large tub without packing material- I figure it's plastic so there's not as much chance of paint chipping. Oh, and the tfing them into their most compact state is a good idea too.

6. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hey, congrats on the move. Having moved myself many times over the years (being a military brat) setting up in a new house can be alot of fun. (specially if it's bigger than the old one)

As to your questions let me take a crack at'em.

1. Ziplock baggies are your friends. Specally if the toy has loose parts. They're cheap so I'd recommend 1 toy per bag. This prevents scratches, chipping, dings and lost parts. Store them in a strong box or bin so if something gets set on top, it won't crush anything.

BTW, expect at least one toy to get messed up. It allways happens no matter how careful you are. That way if it does, then you won't get quite as upset. (unless it was your personal favorite) And if it all comes through with out a hitch, then you can breath a big sigh of relief.

2. Sealed cases. Either a whole display case or single cases. I use clear card cases for most of my smaller figures and larger sport/model cases for the bigger ones.

3. If you're not going to play with the toy, it's best to pull the batteries. It's a good rule of thumb. You wouldn't believe how many Trypticon or Sky Lynx's I've seen ruined because of 10 year old batteries still sitting in them. (it's not pretty)

4. This one is a bit tricky as not everyone agrees on what is the best method. I've always used armor all in very small amounts. The trick is keeping the rubber from drying out. (avoid using alcohol) However, if it's already cracked or coming apart, then there's not much you can do about it except to replace the part.

Again, congrats on the move.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 one with the Force TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    one tip i have for all accessories is a clear fishing tackle box. Get one with a lot of layers. That way you can organize weapons and missles etc by type and geration. I use some for my stikfas and TF stuff. Works wonders...

8. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

1 - I just put them in a plastic tub. I'm no MISB collector.

2 - Put them in a windowed closet.

3 - Remove the batteries to avoid leakage and dammage to the toys.

4 - Put some "Rubber Renew" stuff of them from time to time to avoid the rubber from dryiong up.