Moving advice! (To europe)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Optimus_Prowl, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    So I need some advice from some of our European members here on the boards. I am planning within the next two-three years to save money and move to europe for a while to pursue my acting career and gain some more experience across the pond.

Right now I currently live in California working at Disneyland Resort.

Im basically wondering what housing costs (Such as rent utilities and whatnot), job placement (Coffee shops or restaurants) and actual education is like over there (Like wheres the best area to study and apply acting talent there?).

This will be a huge move so Im giving myself a lot of time to plan and would appreciate any and all help in the matter, thanks guys :D 

2. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I lived in Germany for 4 years and Portugal for 15 months. If you think the cost of living is high in California, you haven't seen anything yet. You won't be saving money, I guarantee it.

3. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    Haha I kinda figured as much. I only really want to stick around for a year year and a half tops then move back to the states. But that could change once I go over.

Edit: also any numbers I can have to put things in perspective?

4. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Gas prices per gallon here are about what they are per liter there. With the weak US dollar, everything is easily 1.5 to twice as much, if not higher.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Transformers are at least double in price compared to the US.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just say u like kraftwerk n most germans will let u in.

7. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    Oh wow so I guess now is a good time to start saving haha.

I will keep that in mind :) 

:lolol 

8. silenth

silenth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First, say good buy to buying any TFs across the Atlantic.

Second, find a friend/relative you can stay with to save on housing costs.

Three, learn the language: learn atleast one foreign language.

Four, prepare to have the time of your life.

I did the whole post-college-find myself-by going around Europe thing. It was FUCKING great! I was broke by the 3rd month. But my ugly ass was able to meet/make friends. Italy and France were my favorites.

Most of all, don't be an asshole and be safe.

9. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'm in Germany and I have an apartment that's 48m² which costs me about 500€ every month.
    Gasoline is at 1,7€ per liter.

10. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you're in a decent European city you won't need to buy gas as you won't need a car. Public transport and/or a bike should get you everywhere.

11. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Where in Europe? Sweden's got a strong economy compared to other countries currently. Costs of living aren't much outside of the cities but in city they're pretty much like cities in the USA...way too much :) 

My own experience is dealing with getting my things over here. Not so easy as UPS doesn't come here and freight shipping is a bit overboard for my things.

The other thing, which I find absurd, is as an american citizen you are still required to file taxes in the USA. After a year, however, you can opt out of paying U.S. taxes and pay taxes in the country you live but you still have to file. The USA is the only 1st world country that still requires this.

Bikes are pretty well used here but they're pretty well stolen too so get a good lock. Gas is pricey. Some foods are actually cheaper here. In Sweden they cut beef differently so I still haven't tried buying any steaks because I have no clue what is what. English is the common language between the union but not everyone speaks it so be aware. You may not find things as varied as in the USA. I still want my dill pickles but they don't have them here for instance (and hot dogs taste like crap...yes they can taste worse). If possible try to live near an army base. I know , from relatives, that frankfurt Germany has a few american stores. For comfort food, I would still try to assimilate in the culture you live in.

I googled for expat sites that have forums. I think doing that will be more useful for the specific country you're going to.

Also talk to the consulate in your area for the country you want to move to.

IF you find a good shipping company that ships overseas in large loads for a good price, let me know. As is I'll be taking extra luggage next month to get more things of mine back here in Sweden.

12. Optimus_Prowl

News Credits:
    Sounds freaking awesome! And Yea I know I have family in Germany and prolly some in England but I have never talked to them haha will have to see if my parents know them at all.

These are good numbers I will save them thanks :) 

Sounds like a plan to me. Like say if I were to move somewhere near london perhaps?

This is a dam good post thanks for all the info. And yes I found a good website with a bunch of info on it but I wanted some first-hand knowledge from fellow TFW'ers haha. And Im think the main place im gonna try to move is the UK prolly england any good ideas about where to live there?

13. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Just an educated guess ,as I haven't been to England yet, I would think London. Seems to be a very actor heavy city.