Moving a collection abroad

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by dsn1014, Nov 29, 2011.

1. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

Hey folks,

I've been collecting for a good 21 odd years now and I'm finally finishing up in education. And when that's done, I plan to follow my partner out of the country. My collection has never really done anything except get bigger and I don't know what to do with it.

Are there options for exporting a butt load of toys safely? Or would it be wiser to cash out and start over again? Are there shipping services beyond mail I could consider?

I'd be moving from Ireland to the States. Whether it's a permanent move or not I dunno. Just looking for thoughts if anyone has had to do this before.

So many boxes...

2. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Personally i would bring it. Depending on how you travel you may be able to bring them otherwise i would go to your shipping services such as mail and if you have UPS or the like and see what the best most cost effective option would be because i am sure it would be cheaper than starting over.

3. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Are you shipping any other then yourself plus toys to the states? Furniture? Or anything else? Then you could consider a shipping container at €1300 plus some change. At least that's the going rate from Rotterdam for a 40ft container. Fits a large car plus some tires.

Otherwise there are companies specialized in moving furniture etc. abroad. Maybe write them a letter.

With 21 years of collecting you must have a collection that numbers in the hundreds at least. 12 years accumulated me with 21 standard moving boxes filled with toys. (moved last year)

good luck in the states. With this economy you are going to need it.

iDD

4. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    Depends on your collection. The quality and sentimental aspect of it.

I'd say sell the common and replaceable stuff. Take the cash and buy new in the states.

Then move only the rare, irreplaceable stuff. Its a lot of work, but hopefully decreases the attachment to the unnecessary collection pieces.

5. microclone

microclone Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ive moved my collection overseas 3 times, even though movers say 'we have to pack it' what i did was pack my collection in smallish boxes that were themselves packed, nothing was broken or missing. I wouldnt let the packers actually pack loose toys for eg, things will most likely get damaged then, even boxed figures I prepacked because as collecors we are especially fussy (i am) about keeping stuff as mint as possible.

ps, your collection could also grow exponentially in the states, the lack of import tax on toys is especially nice.

6. dsn1014

True that. Thinking about selling I don't see how I'd be able to shift it for a good price as international shipping may frighten off potential customers. And then going to a dealer to off load in bulk may also hurt me on the value too. But lets be realistic I'm not gonna retire off what I get regardless.

Ideally this would be how I'd do it and I should do a bit of research into it. No, no furniture, just lots of bots. Can't be any worse there than the state of affairs here really.

There's a thought, if I pear it down to the "necessities" it may make the issue a smaller one. But really I would prefer to avoid getting rid of any.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

7. dsn1014

My mountain of boxes could become a larger mountain of boxes with that in mind, but it certainly sounds a wise choice. That'd be a fun week organising them, a good chance to play with them all. They're all packed up at the moment, so I've never had a chance to photograph them all, a perfect chance to as well. I'll look into where to find shipping boxes online then. Thanks for sharing your experience :) 

They'd certainly be cheaper than what I have to pay for them now, not to mention the odds of me finding anything at retail are drastically improved.

8. Optimus Bruce

Optimus Bruce Human Germ

I work for a freight forwarder/logistics company, and you have 2 options which are air freight or ocean freight.

Air is obviously quicker than ocean, but you pay a relatively large amount compared to ocean.

If you have enough packages to load your own 20 or 40ft steel shipping container this would be your cheapest and safest option and would ove on the ocean, but would by no means be cheap.

If you have an amount less than a full container load, you can still ship your goods by ocean using an "LCL" service. This is basically when you have your goods loaded in a container by a shipping company, which contains goods for a number of other shippers to fill the dead space.

I personally would not recommend this method for anything you're emotionally tied to unless you pay for a true and proper professional packer to put your boxes into a sturdy outer pallet for shipping. While the containers are loaded professionally, the space is limited so expect your goods to be loaded on top of.

If your amounts are smallish, airfreight would be your safest and probably oat cost effective method as when sending small amounts, "minimum charges" often apply, and by LCL these minimum charges usually mean it costs slightly more or at least in close proximity to the air movement.

The main thing I'd stress with this is to buy and pack all your toys yourself as to a packer their just another item to bung into a box.

9. dsn1014

Wonderful information, thank you very much :)