Movieverse's plot

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shadow25, Nov 1, 2009.

?

Story depth?

1. Keep it simple and minimal.

18 vote(s)
    26.5%
  2. No story at all, just two hours of robot carnage and Megan Fox.

9 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. A deep story that makes good use of the lore.

41 vote(s)
    60.3%
  1. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Something that I was thinking about...

ROTF surely had a more elaborate story than TF1, but I found TF1 more enjoyable. I think it was because the more simplistic, even generic story didn't really restrict the action or humor. In ROTF the story itself was pretty weighty so much humor felt out of place. Of course, all of the story elements of ROTF were not tied together very well at the end, and a lot of threads were left opened or unexplained.

So, do you prefer a simple, basic story ala TF1 or a more complex story, like ROTF, even though there's a possibility that story won't fully/properly be told?

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I really like both movies, but the first one's story can definitely seem too simplistic, and RotF's can definitely feel too complex at times.I think that if they could make a story about half way in between the simplistic plot of TF1, and the uber complex plot of RotF, that it would pretty much be the perfect story that they could come up with for another sequel in the Movie universe.

3. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just want robo carnage

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    Both lore and Robot carnage ........ and Megan Fox.

5. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I want a semi-complex, watertight plot with lore in it. You know, like Animated or Beast Wars. Can't say this is a lot to ask for.

6. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    i ACTUally enjoyed both films, but ROTF would have been more satisfying if there wasn't all those jokes, that would have helped it be more serious.

7. Shadow25

News Credits:
    I agree in a different way. I think humor is a plus for the movie, but in this case it hurt more than helped because the jokes contrasted too greatly from the serious plot. I'm actually starting to think that maybe they should tone down the plot's seriousness rather than the humor (not so much as to make the movie a total farce, though, TF1 had a good mix).

8. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I loved both movies.
    I have no doubt I will love the 3rd one as well.
    Only thing more I could ask for, would be a bit of history..primus, unicron, maybe something with nemesis prime.
    If they bring in Ultra Magnus I'll scream like a little girl after shaking hands with the jonas brothers.

9. protocida

protocida Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You might as well have your wish granted.

10. Awesomus Prime

Awesomus Prime I rise, you fall.

News Credits:
    I still think that the Writer's Strike was to blame for all of the loose ends. And I really don't see anything "complex" about ROTF's plot.

- The Decepticons are after Sam, who has a map to a Cybertronian MacGuffin imprinted in his mind. They want the information to power a machine that can destroy Earth's sun, supplying them with a wealth of energon.

- The Autobots, of course, want to thwart their evil plans and protect Sam as well as the rest of mankind.

- Optimus Prime is killed while protecting Sam.

- The gang follow the "mind map" to Egypt with Jetfire, an ancient Transformer. He tells them of The Fallen, an evil Prime who only Optimus can defeat.

- The gang find the MacGuffin, which they must use to revive Optimus.

- [insert huge epic battle scene here]

- Optimus is revived and powers up using Jetfire's parts. He then abruptly ends the battle by killing The Fallen way more easily than he should have been able to.

- Megatron runs away.

- The good guys win!

THE END

11. Shadow25

News Credits:
    Except the Fallen was completely misused and had a really underdeveloped backstory and purpose.

12. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    How so? Jetfire pretty much told all of The Fallen's back story. And his purpose was to destroy mankind.

13. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Intersting. But I suppose a blance of both humor and seriousness would do just fine, it's just that Devs balls and Simmons arse, on IMAX was really pointless, and stupid.

You've got to admit that the first 20 minutes of the film was to marvel for, like Peter Cullen first says; "Our race have met before...", and then Soundwave; "Soundwave acknowledges..pursuer retrieve it!!" Those lines made ROTF very seriously toned, and I enjoyed it a ton.

Then, the lame jokes drained in after that.

14. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    ROTF had more of everything in it:

More robots
    More carnage
    More Megan
    It did more with story.

And it made more money.

I think they are going in a good direction, so spend more time eliminating script problems and call it good.

15. Ruthie

Ruthie Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, both TF1's and ROTF's plots were very straightforward. For TF1 it was Sam becomes entangled in an alien war when the TFs come to earth in search of an artifact that can lead them to their god-like power source. For ROTF it was Sam becomes entangled in an alien war again when the Decepticons determine he is the key to revealing the location of a machine that can re-energize their race. Very similar plots, but TF1 had far better execution.

Also, both movies had very strong themes, and I would say that ROTF had a stronger one. For TF1 it was growing beyond oneself to embrace the call of sacrifice. For ROTF it was forcing onself to rise above the occasion when hope seems nil. However, TF1 won the day because it better demonstrated the theme.

All of that is to say that I chose option 1; however, the issue isn't really plot, it's execution and theme. For TF3 Kruger and Bay need to bring the plot to life in a manner that forsakes the crudity and disjointedness of ROTF but advances the story with an engaging theme.

16. Shadow25

News Credits:
    I think the movie was (on its own merits as a TF movie) perfect right until Leo says "I think I know someone who can help: Robo Warrior." After that it just dragged and dragged until the end.

The college scenes with Sam really didn't drag; they really weren't long at all. The Pretender, while a little pointless, didn't seem over-emphasized. The pacing was solid, the jokes worked without ruining the tone, and the action was great. If only the rest of the movie continued that way.

17. Awesomus Prime

News Credits:
    The humor and the lighthearted approach worked very well for the first movie not because of the plot's simplistic nature, but because the first movie was an origin story. There was no use putting too much peril and intensity on the audiences shoulders when we still needed to get to know all of the characters.

However, for the third movie to completely work as a satisfying conclusion, the jokes need to be toned down drastically. The jokes in ROTF tended to screw up scenes that could have been very excellent without them. In fact, I think that if the humping, Devestator's balls, and Simmons's ass had been removed from the movie, the critics would have received it almost as well as the first one.

18. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

I vote keep it simple and minimal.

Just because it worked so well for the first movie, RotF, and G1.

Not that I wouldn't mind more complex story, but this is fine with me lol.

19. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Megan Fox with a Deep Story. Send her to acting school. :D 

20. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Keep it simple, or else we might get into the pointless-DC-Comics-retardry level.

With TF you dont need a deep story, just a decent one, what really matters is each character's relation and reactions to it.