Movieverse toys and onscreen accuracy

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by mattjy22, Jul 4, 2011.

1. mattjy22

mattjy22 Active Member

Now that it's most likely that this movieverse is finished with, pending a reboot, probably with new designs, or at least major updates to the current ones, I thought I'd let rip with what I've found most disappointing with the whole movie series.

Although the films themselves could've been better, particularly ROTF, I never expected them to be cinematic masterpieces, and for the most part they delivered. But I love most of the robot designs, and part of what intrigued me about the toys when I was growing up was working out how they transformed before I owned them. In most of the other series, the cartoons were based on the toys so apart from being a little more polished, they were almost exactly the same.

The problem with the movieverse is most of the toys don't transform like the CGI models so you can never really find out exactly how they transform. Obviously the onscreen versions have thousands of moving parts and this can't be replicated, but a couple of figures like ROTF leader Prime and Sidearm Sideswipe indicate that something close can be achieved.

The dual model kit of Bumblebee shows just how the panels of the car move to form the robot, with parts of the front forming parts of the legs and parts of the rear forming his back. I'm sure it wouldn't be simple, but not impossible either. Of course I expect cost was a major deciding factor, but what was really responsible was bad planning. I remember an interview with a designer from Takara saying how he'd designed a toy for TF1 then watched the movie and thought 'oh that's how it transforms!'. How did no-one have the sense to get the cgi model designers to liaise with the toy designers so that they could at least know where the major parts move to?

It might have cost more initially for them to produce screen accurate toys, but in the long run all they would've needed to do is produce remould/repaints for the core characters for each of the three movies. They could've saved some of the cost by not including the gimmicks such as Automorph, Mechalive and Mechtech. Collectors would be happy as they'd have something screen accurate and new characters/repaints would provide Hasbro and Takara with collector income, plus I can't believe for a second that any child, even with the richest parents, has all the toys from all three movies, so if the same basic Bumblebee mould was released four times (classic Camaro, TF1 upgrade, ROTF upgrade, DOTM upgrade) any kid getting a toy at any point over the five year period would still get their favourite character, while the collectors get an accurate set of figures that have a matching aesthetic.

Anyway, whinge over, just thought I'd get all that off my chest! hehehe

2. MikeDiaz

MikeDiaz Well-Known Member

MechTech Deluxe Starscream, HFTD Leader Starscream, and DOTM Leader Sentinel should up there with Leader Optimus and Sidearm Sideswipe.

I'm sure Hasbro goes through hell to create screen-accurate counterparts of Bayformers. Each design is so complex.

And you have to keep in mind that the original G1 toys came before the cartoon. In this case, the actual CGI Transformers were designed prior to their toy design. It's just so much harder.

3. ThisGuy

ThisGuy True Leader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm still looking for the perfect movie megatron.

4. LesterX

LesterX Banned

DOTM megatron WOULD be the best, if not for the shoddy paint.

5. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    Dude, are you aware that they transform differently each time?

6. mattjy22

mattjy22 Active Member

Well I pretty much said about everything else pretty much being a case of the cartoons being based on the toys. The Starscreams look good but they transforms differently from each other and I'm not sure either transforms like the cgi model, not least because they pretty much maintain their size in both modes whereas the onscreen version gains width to lose height.

7. mattjy22

mattjy22 Active Member

They might not transform in the same order, but the same bits move to the same places