Heavy/Scratch: Movieverse Shockwave

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Obliterator999, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    shockwave-wip-01.jpg shockwave-wip-02.jpg

Hey guys, this is my first serious project to make a custom figure so any feedback, advices or suggestions would be like gold to me. That being said, let me explain my general idea. Not too long ago I was going through a box of TFs I meant to sell and stumbled upon TFTM Payload. I really love the robot mode of this figure and its drone head is very reminiscent of Shockwave. So instead of letting this little gem go to waste I decided to make something out of it.

However, this toy suffers from three MAJOR problems.

1) very loose hip joints which causes the toy to constantly fall over
    2) a giant pole of doom sticking out of its back
    3) an atrocious looking alt mode

So before going anywhere else with this project I need to rectify some of these problems. The first one is easy enough, some glue on the ball joints does wonders. Second issue is the claw gimmick that needs to be removed. The problem is I can't just take if off and toss it aside, one end of the main 'beam' has the truck grill attached to it and still needs to be there when converted to truck mode, and the other constitutes part of the chest in robot mode. So I need to keep parts of it intact.

shockwave-wip-03.jpg
    shockwave-wip-04.jpg
    shockwave-wip-05.jpg

These pics show where I intend to make cuts.

In the meantime, I'm thinking hard about what can be done to improve its alt mode. I'd like to see something similar to RotF Scattorshot's armored rammer for the front of the vehicle. There's also convenient pegs on the side of the truck (to which you attach the arms to in robot mode) that would allow something to be fixed to either side... Guns, missile launchers, oil tanks? I'm undecided. Also, I'd like to devise a *very* large cannon for the figure to somewhat pay homage to the original G1 Shockwave gun. This would be more than likely attached to the roof of the alt mode. One problem I have though is that I don't have a very extended knowledge of accessories that would be good to use for this nor do I own many spare parts. Hopefully you guys can suggest things.

shockwave-wip-06.jpg

Well, that's it for now! Let me know what you guys think!

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Cool idea for Payload.

3. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Sounds like a real challenge with the claw gimmick. I would simply try to incorporate it into Shockwave's robot mode. Try to somehow make it into a blaster.

4. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Great idea! In the first pic you seem to leave some of the claw in place (front of the vehicle). Would it be better to remove it completely and glue the grille instead. If you could do this, you would have room for a giant laser to store underneath the vehicle. As far as I remember, the arms of Payload tuck away under the bonnet, so maybe you could even manage to have the gun permanently attached to his arm without partsforming?

I don't have the toy inhand, so my suggestions might be impossible.
    Good luck with it!

PS: Payload DOES NOT have an atrocious alt mode!!!! :wink: 

5. Obliterator999

Obliterator999 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Haha, I just find it really boring is all... It needs to be made more baddass! ;)