2D Artwork: Movieverse Blitzwing Concept

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Shockscream, Jul 8, 2009.

1. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    Attached to this post is my concept art for a Movieverse Blitzwing. Included is the robot mode, tank mode, jet mode, head detail, track detail, and hand/claw detail along with a tech spec and bio.

Method

Each mode and close-up detail was drawn by hand and then scanned into Photoshop for some finishing touches.

The robot design draws inspiration from previous versions of the character of Blitzwing as well as other characters both within the Movieverse and outside of it that share his alt modes. The head is based somewhat on a Xindi-Reptillian from Star Trek: Enterprise mixed with elements of other Movieverse robot heads. Notable influences on the head design are Ratchet, Megatron, Blackout, Frenzy, and Starscream.

The tank mode takes inspiration from existing tanks used by military forces around the globe as well as concept designs for future tanks and previous Transformers with tank alt modes.

The jet mode was constrained by having to incorporate elements of the tank into its design. I used somewhat "blocky" jets as an inspiration, notably a concept design found on Google for a new fighter jet for the Iranian Air Force.

Transformation Details

The tank tracks are divided into two sections. The forward sections become the shoulder stacks of the robot while the back ones become the legs. The jet's engines are concealed behind retractable panneling while in tank mode; in robot mode, they split in half around a ball attachment to form the feet.

The shin sections act as axel-like devices while in tank mode and compress into the back tracks while in jet mode.

The arms form the tank's turret. While in jet mode, the arms/turret connect to the underside to form cannons. The wings are concealed recessed sections behind the tracks when in tank mode. In robot mode, these are stretched outwards to allow flight if necessary.

The jet's nose is hidden on the underside of the tank mode and this forms the chest in robot mode. The robot head is recessed behind the front panneling of the tank mode. This separates in half to form shoulder shielding for the robot mode.

Embedded within the front tracks are swivelling missile lauchers that can be deployed in robot mode. In jet mode, the front tracks fold down on either side of the turret.

The cannon on the turret can be retracted. In robot mode, the claws/hands can generate and focus a high-intensity electromagnetic pulse that deactivates non-Cybertronian technology.

Bio and Tech Spec

With insufficient Energon available to the Decepticons to allow the birth of the army of hatchlings, Megatron must turn to other methods to reinforce his ranks after his defeats. He seeks out the Qunitessons who, in exchange for Megatron stealing the Matrix and handing it over to them, agree to supply the depleted Decepticons with an armada of identical soldiers built to Megatron's exact requirements. Megatron requires a soldier that, like himself, can attack the human-Autobot forces from both the ground and the air. The Quintessons provide him with the Blitzwing Line. Capable of assuming terrestrial tank and jet alt modes, the army of clones fulfils Megatron's desires. The Blitzwings swiftly become the front lines in any Decepticon attack as Megatron knows that he can always have more built. They are the perfect warriors -- loyal and willing to fight -- and with them, Megatron believes that he can end the war against the Autobots and conquer Earth once and for all. However, the Quintessons are not stupid and are as cunning as Megatron himself. Each member of the Blitzwing Line can be remotely accessed by the Quintessons and used for their own ends...

Strength: 9
    Intelligence: 6
    Speed: 9
    Endurance: 7
    Courage: 8
    Fireblast: 8
    Skill: 6

Faction: Decepticon/Quintesson

Additional Details

Blitzwing was chosen thanks to renewed appreciation for his character thanks to (belatedly) coming to appreciate Transformers Animated. As triple-changers have been suggested as the next direction for the Movieverse, I sought to design one and fit him into an idea of having a cloned army provided by the Quintessons that has been playing out in my mind for a few weeks.

Thanks for taking a look.

Update (15 July 2009)

Just added a plan view for the tank and jet modes from above, below, side, front, and behind angles. This shows where all the parts go during the transformations.

Also included is a drawing I call "March of the Blitzwings" showing two members of the Blitzwing Line just before a battle. This was originally done just for me, but seeing as it gives a nice close-up of a head and torso I have decided to include it. Also, it shows my concept of Blitzwing being a series of clone Transformers akin to Megatron's Seeker clones in War Within: The Age of Wrath.

As with the concept art image, these were originally drwan with pencil and pen before being scanned and played with in Photoshop.

I have started a plan view for the robot mode, but there's something a little flat and lifeless about it (best way that I can think to put it). Not sure whether I should post it here or not. What do you think, should I put it in or not?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  2. tehCal

tehCal wherever you are i am not

This is one of my favourite designs so far. Great job.

3. Shockscream

News Credits:
    Thanks. Glad you like.

4. Shockscream

News Credits:
    Just added three new images to my concept: tank and jet plan views, and a picture of two Blitzwings in robot mode.

Should I add the robot mode in plan view?

5. jonatron26

jonatron26 Well-Known Member

he should be able to shoot lightning from his wings! blitz= german for lightning for those who dont know

6. maninthebox94

maninthebox94 Banned

stunning man, love the whole idea and art. :thumb 

7. urang0o

urang0o Member

what a lame transformers

8. ChrisIzDaShiz

ChrisIzDaShiz Banned

It's ok

9. Shockscream

News Credits:
    Thanks to everyone who has taken a look. I am now in the process of improving it.