Movieverse/Bayverse

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by kidnicky, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kidnicky

kidnicky Well-Known Member

Why is it people need to spout stupid fan terms like "Movieverse" or "Bayverse" to describe characters or events from TWO movies in the same series?
    The first uses of "universe" made sense,such as the Marvel Universe. Since there's hundreds of comic book series Marvel puts out that are (mostly) all connected,when you speak of them as a whole,it makes sense to say "Universe". Ditto for DC. Star Trek,even would be fine.
    However,it makes no sense in the context of Transformers.
    "Movieverse",asides from being a cutesy made up nerd-word,refers to only two movies,one of which is a direct sequel to the other. The only other works that would fall under that umbrella are video games that mostly tell the same story as the films,and comics/novels that are either straight adaptations,or prequel fanboy bait noone connected with the films would consider canon anyway.
    The worst part is the overuse on this and other TF boards. I'd tell you to make a drinking game out of it,but I don't want to be responsible for your death.
    There's NEVER any reason to say this stuff either,except to give the impression through text that you have an unshaven neck. Any time you would want to use the word "Bayverse",its just as easy to use a real word,such as "movie" or "movies".
    Examples:
    "I hate the movieverse designs!!"-"I hate the movie designs!"
    "I hope the next cartoon is set in the Bayverse!"-"I hope the next cartoon is based on the movies!"

So why do so many people on here insist on using these terms? Here's a hint:If you'd be embarrased to say something IRL,you should be embarrased to say it online.

2. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    If someone types 'movieverse' or 'Bayverse' or 'Bayformers' and you read it, you know what it's about, so you can't honestly say "it makes no sense in the context of Transformers". It's a fan term, nothing stupid about it. It's a label among the boards that immediately identifies what you're talking about, something that keeps me from typing Michael Bay's movie Transformers Optimus Prime when 'Bayverse Prime' or 'Bayformers Optimus' will do just fine. Fact is, there's been a movie before Michael Bay came along, and just because some don't care, or don't care for it, those of us that do respect it (even its stupid parts, something those that love the new live action/cg Bayformers can relate to) like to distinguish.

And I just shaved yesterday, for the record.

Feel free to find something else to be bothered about. Seems like a barrel's being scraped, to me.

3. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

It's cute how you think you can stop the widespread use of a fan term.

4. Autobot X

Autobot X Too broke for 3P and MP.

Giant transforming robots from space. That's stupid. But we love it, don't we? Trying to bring logic to Transformers, anywhere, any time, is like trying to drain the ocean through a straw.

5. kidnicky

If you're trying to shorten what you have to type,how about "Movie Optimus"? That's shorter than any of your suggestions.
    It's pretty clear that by "movie" you mean the live action movie,since the eighties movie (which I do "respect",well, as much as one can respect a movie) takes place during the events of the G1 cartoon. Optimus (or anyone else) in the cartoon movie is just the same ol' G1 Optimus,it's not a different canon.

Oh,I'm well aware I can't stop it,but reading this drivel so often was driving me up a wall,so I vented.

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I think you'll find that a lot of fans do take IDW's comics as canon for the "universe" that the movies occupy. I've never read them myself, but I do think they help give more scope to the world that the movies take place in.

In any event, the movies exist in a universe entirely separate from any other Transformers continuities (although Takara may have found a way to work it into G1 by now :rolleyes2 ). I think that alone would justify the "-verse" suffix.

7. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

"Bay Optimus" is even shorter.

"MB Optimus" shorter still.

If you're going for brevity, aim for the shortest possible choice! Which in this case would be "MB OP"...course, people might mistake if for 'Masterpiece Prime' (MB, MP, close enough to misread on quick scans).

So, you should be suggesting 'Bay', I say! Or just RotF, since people can figure that if you're talking about "RotF Jazz" then you probably mean 'movieformer' Jazz.

8. SlyTF

SlyTF Banned

Thank you! I was just asking the same question myself, why dont people just call them, movies?

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    You sir, have won the thread.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I dunno. People just type that sort of stuff. They probably don't even give a rats ass when they're typing it. I usually just say movies, or ROTF when I mean the second one in particular. I rarely see "Bayverse" used to be quite honest.

11. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    cause it actually is a transformer "universe". it has several comics to go along with the movie, and even has two prequel novels. it is different from the other continuations, so it makes it own continuation.

12. Vexza

Vexza Nerdicon

Why not? It makes sense and people know what it is. You don't like it? That sucks, but we can't change the world.

13. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The OP lost all credibility with me when he brushed the movieverse comics aside.

14. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I hate that term too just like I hate "geewunner".

15. kidnicky

I'd be shocked if Bay,Orci,or Kurtzman (sp?) even knew the comics were published,let alone considered them even remotely canon.

16. Covenant

Covenant Mr. Roboto in Disguise

Ebay:
    Thanks, but I'm going to stick with doing the thing that has absolutely nothing wrong with it, other than apparently bothering you a bit. ;) 

17. kidnicky

Apparently your concern was with having to type too many letters,just trying to help you out. :) 

18. Mospeada

Mospeada Since '84

News Credits:
    Topc ndz les suck kthxbye.

19. Nemesis Liger

Nemesis Liger Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't see what really wrong with it.

I think it helps to cut down on confusion mostly. I mean there are numerous incarnations Optimus, and Megatron so I figure I'd be getting the point across much more clearly if I slapped Movieverse or Bayverse infront of the names. Maybe it's silly, maybe it's annoying, but I think it does it's job just fine. ...Sure, I could get creative and put summin' like "live action movie Optimus" or "2007/RoTF movie Optimus" "CGI-ifed Movie Optimus" but I'm lazy sometimes so I put Movie/Bayverse.

20. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Personal preference. I don't mind the term "Movieverse" but can't stand "Bayformers."

I however, want to commit bodily harm when people use "geewun" or any form of it.