Movies Critics and Movies "fans"

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by exclusacon, Apr 29, 2011.

1. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Do you let a movie critic or movie fan, decide for YOU, if you're gonna go see a movie or not?

I ask this becuz, some people nitpick that a certain part isn't like the book or cartoon or comics.

I'm just glad that some of my movies are being made....a "fan" said that in the new DOTM trailer, becuz Shockwave wasn't purple, he wasn't going to see it.

WTF!

Do you care what others say about a movie you had interest in seeing?

Me? I don't give f.....

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Generally, No.

However, with movie prices ridiculously high even for matinees, I'm more inclined to read reviews and consider opinions, especially when it comes to deciding whether to watch the 2D or 3D version as those opinions have less to do with story and focus more on actual technical aspects. For example, I really wanted to see Sucker Punch IMAX in the theater, but after reading so much negativity about the film, I held off. It took two weeks for the movie to leave theaters. Oh well, I saved $40 dollars on that one. An example of where I should have listened to reviews was the Green Hornet. A decent movie, but the 3D was a waste of money.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Nope. If it interests me, I'll follow it. If I like where it's going, I'll most likely watch it. If I feel it would be cool to watch in 3D, then I'll drop the extra bucks.

Would rather follow my gut then bias fans or snobby critics.

4. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    nope. If I want to see it, I'll see it.

I do like hearing reviews, especially someone like Cinema Snob review a movie he just saw and describe it in detail. That I enjoy. Especially when it is a bad one.

5. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Movie critics never have a plan of movies. Most of the time, when they say a movie is bad, it is really cool.

But I choose for myself what I like and what not.

40 dollars? do you buy 4 tickets for every movie? or is your cinema so insanely expensive?!

6. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

As far as going to the theater is concerned, I will usually pay attention to the reviews of critics and the general public, as I rarely go to the theater for anything. If I'm truly interested in a film, but it just doesn't seem theater worthy, I can just Netflix it regardless of what anybody has said about it.

7. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The only reviews I tend to read are in local papers and whatever people on internet forums have to say - and that's purely for entertainment. I rarely let either influence my decision on what to watch. I'm generally informed enough on a particular movie to know whether or not I'll go see it regardless of positive or negative reviews. For example if one of my favorite directors has a new film coming out, like Jim Jarmusch's Limits of Control, and it gets completey panned by critics and fans, I'd still go see it because there's a chance I'll like it (I loved it). Alternatively, a movie like Cars could have the whole world fawning over it and I'd still have zero interest in seeing it. I'm pretty good at making up my own mind.

8. deathsheadx

deathsheadx Well-Known Member

no one, and i mean no one, decides what i watch but me.

9. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    This^
    I'm mostly like - ''BITCH! I do what I want!''

10. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    If the movie is based on a franchise or some other preexisting property, I place a certain degree of value in the views of critics who are familiar with said franchise/property.

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always read them to get an idea of what it's like, but if I like what's in the movie, I'll see it.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I will alwyas check out Rotten Tomatos after I have seen the movie to gauge my opions with those of the critics.

13. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I may consult reviews on movies that I am on the fence about. Sometimes I'm just curious what others had to say about it but that may or may not determine if I see a movie. There are some movies that I will see no matter what and I won't pay much attention to reviews. However a good overall consensus (for example - Thor) will relieve my fears (if I had any) and a bad overall consensus might dampen my enthusiasm for seeing a movie or occasionally make me decide to wait for DVD(Ex - Sucker Punch)

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't stand self proclaimed "film critics" or professional critics. No matter who it is, read or listen to enough of their reviews and they all turn out to be two faced and contradictory. For one movie they will appreciate carnage and explosions because that's what a high budget summer popcorn movie is supposed to have, than the next they will trash the same kind of movie for the same thing. I used to at least go off the word of some of my friends, but more and more they get influenced by all the online reviews they read. I have a friend who pretty much lives by RottenTomatos, and most of the movies I like don't really have a good standing on that website.

I still have a few friends I listen to but for the most part I set my own expectations. Did I enjoy Resident Evil 4? Yes. A lot. Was it rated well critically? Not at all. So, there's a huge issue where good scores doesn't really equal entertainment value all the time, and that's just another reason why I can't listen to critics.

15. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Great example. I loved that movie, thought it was the best of the 4 by far, yet I don't think I've read anything positive about it.

16. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    This

Although other factors like the cast and crew slso decide it for me as well.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    some films I'm gonna see no matter what, others I'm on the fence.

If I'm on the fence about it, then yeah, I will take outside opinion into consideration. It's the smart thing to do. Life is short.

Doesn't mean I won't have my own opinion on the matter once I've actually seen it.

Dude Green Hornet made far better use of 3D than most films do. Even though much of it was post-converted, they did a bang-up job and even came up with new inventive ways to use the technology. Totally worth it.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yes and no.

No if i really want to see the movie or if i say yes, i'l wait for DVD or when it's on TV.

19. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Preface this by saying that, with very rare exceptions (ie - the TF franchise), I don't go see movies in the theatre any more. The experience is just too unpleasant and expensive, especially when I can just wait a few months and watch a movie on my HDTV at home. So, this is more from the perspective of deciding whether to watch/buy something on DVD/BR than deciding whether to go to the theatre or not.

- Critics - If it's a movie that I'm uncertain whether or not I want to see, I'll check a site like Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic and get a general consensus of the critics' opinions on it. I don't read or pay attention to any one specific critic. While the critics do have certain biases, they usually know what they're doing and getting a general consensus screens out the specific biases of any one critic. But, as mentioned, I only do this for films I'm undecided on. If I have no interest in the movie, good critical reviews won't make me want to see it. If I'm interested in a movie, bad reviews won't make me want to skip it.

- Fans - Ignore them completely, because many of them can't come up with anything more than superficial reasons (eg - "OMG, Shockwave not purpull!") for liking or disliking a film.

20. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

No. Not now, not ever. I have this thing, I like to think for myself.

For example Ebert called anyone who enjoyed Battle: LA a retard and an idiot who should not have female companionship. In his world view, apparently I´m a retard because I loved the movie.