Movies by which you judge others

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Optimus Sledge, Nov 5, 2009.

1. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

If you're anything like me, you rock too much to have to deal with people who annoy you. But how to weed out those people, or to determine who is worthy of your attention? Of course, as you're like me, you're a frigging genius who has read the thread title and determined the answer: movies.

So, to cut a short story long, what films do you use to judge other people and how? This ISN'T a "name your favorite film" thread. You might put forward a truly awful film that tells you something about people. So let's kick off with an example:

Equilibrium. I fucking love this film. Came out a couple of years after The Matrix and suffered from reviewers apparently not seeing the film and deciding that someone in a black coat with a gun must be in a Matrix ripoff. Screw those guys. This film rocks with great action and a plot both more interesting and less riddled with plot holes than The Matrix.

How do I use it to judge others? If I find someone saying the plot didn't make sense, or that they thought it was stupid that character X showed emotion, I know I can safely ignore their opinions on films and probably everything else.

So, what films do you use to make snap judgements?

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Oh, I like this.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Hunter S. Thompson's most brilliant book brought to life by Johnny Depp and Terry Gilliam. It's funny, it's depressing, and the social commentary displayed in the film is both refreshing and scary at the same time. Regardless of the drug content, I honestly think if someone does not like this film, then they haven't watched enough movies to truly appreciate cinema.

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Signs- I roll my eyes when people think the movie was supposed to be about aliens

4. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If I throw a Big Lebowski or Fight Club quote out, and someone doesn't respond or acknowledge in some way, that person probably isn't worth my time.

5. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you DO NOT talk about Fight Club!

6. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    If they said ROTF was a great film. ;) 

My biggest one though is when people say The Wrath of Kahn is just a stupid Star Wars ripoff.

7. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Anyone who doesn't acknowledge that "favourite film X" is a piece of shit. YOU CAN LIKE IT. That's fine, but don't tell me it's not fucking garbage.

People who like the Star Wars prequels.

People who think that the Empire Strikes Back isn't the best Star Wars film.

I am also highly suspicious of people who don't like Cohen Brothers movies. Especially No Country For Old Men. If they tell me "duuuh but the end is garbage" they need shooting in to the sun.

8. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    For me, that one's tied with Return of the Jedi. Both great films though.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

You have been judged.

10. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

When people tell me that Natural Born Killers is an awesome movie. Yeah, if you drop acid.
    Or when people refuse to watch/don't like Schindlers List because it is not in color. :( 

Chuck

11. Optimus Sledge

Wait, what? Who the fuck would try and claim that?

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Equilibrium is fucking awesome. Still, the bad guys could be a bit more smart. The last scene with Preston gunning several guys armed with assault rifles was a bit weird.

13. Optimus Sledge

Yeah, if by weird you mean AWESOME.

14. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I have two.

Casablanca. I am astounded as to how many people I come across have never seen this film.

Cool Hand Luke. "You can't eat fifty eggs." If they look at me like they haven't a clue what I'm talking about, they've been judged.

15. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Oh yeah, it´s an awesome scene make no mistake. But I prefer the last part where he fights the sword guys and kills them all in the blink of an eye. That or the shotgun scene in the first part.

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

This seems to be a growing trend lately, allot of the last favorite movie thread was like looking at a graveyard of credability.

I find it particularly amusing that ROTS has somehow managed to blag "good movie" status just because its marginally less shit then the other two.

17. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

That's probably me first in line for the ole sun rocket then. I get the ending, I get what they were saying with the ending, I get the point of the movie (its in the title after all) I just personally don't think it worked as well as everyone else seems to. One ticket for the Sunrocket please. :lol 

Gotta be honest, it is both weird AND awesome. Awesome in that it's one of the best Gun-Fu ass-whuppings ever filmed but weird in that those poor Sweepers actually tried to fight Preston. Personally, if I saw Christian Bale strike a Gun-Kata pose with akimbo fully-automatic pistols and give me THAT look, I'd throw down my G36K and run screaming in the opposite direction.

I also run screaming in the opposite direction from people who like Jane Austin adaptations. I'm a philistine, I know.

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If I throw out a Princess Bride quote and you don't get it, you have been judged.

19. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    People who think Gladiator is the shit and haven't even glanced at Ben Hur can go suck on... I don't know, something nasty.

20. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't really use movies of someones knowledge thereof to judge people(for example, I have a friend who hasn't seen any of the BTTF movies as well as The Original Star Wars & Indiana Jones movies who I really need to sit down & make him watch them Clockwork Orange style one day), but if somebody said that they saw Citizen Kane & thought it was a stupid movie then I know there's no reasoning with them.
    I like the prequels :(  Maybe it's because I didn't grow up with the originals, but I don't understand the universal hate for them. I mean yeah Jar Jar is stupid & Anakin may not have lived up to expectations but there are cool parts to the movies that outwieght the bad for me at least.