Movie Views from a guy who has been away from TFs for a while

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Superion33, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Please excuse my pretentiousness of starting my own thread regarding my opinions on the movie. I know there have been thousands of reviews by many before me but I do have one difference in that I have not read any other reviews or opinions on this movie. I have been out of the US since April and missed out on much of the buildup to the movie and the critiques afterwards. I was fortunate enough to get back to the US for 2 weekends and saw TF at that time. I have been a HUGE fan of TFs since they came out (even during the dark ages of the early 90s). I was a HUGE fan of the Beast Wars series (mostly for an excellent plot and good ideas). And am a huge Alternators collector. Ok, enough with the Intro.

On the whole, I would say TFs was a bad movie. Mostly because of the lack of a cohesive, enjoyable story. The main problem I had with the movie was its disjointed story-telling. The scenes were random and many were un-necessary. There was little character-building with the bots or the humans. And finally, the shooting with the close-up, shaky scenes often left me wondering what I was looking at.

Ok, one by one. The main problem I had was the plot. The random flashback to an old grandpa somehow tripping over Megatron in the ice, and then somehow Megatron's most important information imprinting on its glasses was ridiculous. I mean, c'mon... Why not have a more believable plot? Frankly, the 80s cartoon had a better way of uniting the TFs and Spike with the oil-rig scene, rather than a cheesy scene involving Sam's parents and the TFs peering through windows. They could have done the movie much better had they done away with those horrible glasses altogether. What WAS The point of the glasses anyways? Was it used to locate Megatron or the CUBE? Either way, when Megatron imprinted the glasses, wouldn't the glasses have wrong coordinates to locate either Megatron or the CUBE since the US govt moved both from their original locations at the time of the glasses imprinting? I consider myself somewhat intelligent and still fail to grasp the idea of the glasses.

Next, what was up with the random extras? What happened to the army guys? Were they really necessary to the movie? Or the techies? Or the random, fat nerdy dude? With the Decepticons weapons, all the army guys should have been mince-meat. They didn't at all develop Josh Duhamel's character or the other army guy at all. The same goes for the Techie group. They could have had a normal techie discover all of those things and used the valuable time to develop other characters or the story. No need for the scene in the fat, nerdy dude's house, the interrogation room, or the room with them fighting Frenzy. They already had the "hot girl" in Meagan Fox, why the need for another random girl? Why not more, Decepticon-Decepticon, Autobot-Autobot, or Decepticon-Autobot dialogue? The TFs amounted to nothing more than brain-less bodyguards and evil mutant monsters.

The last thing I had the problem with was Bay's shaky camera shooting and his close-ups. I had no idea what I was looking at and it often made me WANT to stop looking because it was so nauseating and confusing. When you have mammoth robots with thousands of characters, the LAST type of shooting you need is close-up shaky scenes. Maybe a panoramic would have been better to be able to appreciate the depth of the carnage and the strategies involved.

There were many more qualms I had with the movie, but those were the ones that stuck out the most in my head. I intentionally stopped reading comments early on so as not to bias myself against the movie and gave myself a month after the movie to let it truly sink in. Any comments or critiques are welcome.

2. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i didnt think the gov moved the cube. i thought it was too massive so they built the dam around it.

3. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    You are correct. They moved Megs to the location of the cube.

4. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I agree with you on pretty much all counts. I think you bring up some essential problems with the movie... the real failing of the film was not it's deviation from classic G1 elements, but simply the fact that it was a poorly-made movie with regards to writing and direction.

The glasses are what Hitchcock called a "Maguffin"... a plot object that really is meaningless, but serves to set characters in motion. To a large degree, the Allspark was a Maguffin as well... it was just a -thing- everybody was after, and served as a Deux Ex Machina device for defeating Megatron at the end... that's about it.

I was a bit confused as to whether the glasses were to serve as a map to Megatron's location, or the Allspark's (or both). At first I thought they moved the Allspark to the dam location, then build the dam to conceal it (which seemed dumb), but I suppose it makes more sense that the Allspark landed at the dam's future location, excavated, and then concealed.

In any case, the glasses eventually did prove to be irrelevant, as they were never actually used to locate anything. It was the Sector 7 guys who eventually brought all the characters to the dam themselves.

I believe the excess characters were Michael Bay's attempt to capture the broad feeling of a classic disaster movie. Often such films follow disparate characters on multiple fronts to give a sense of epic scope to the crisis. Also, maybe as another nod to Hitchcock, who also frequently populated his films with quirky, distinctive bit parts... characters who bafflingly had little to do with the main story, but who still stood out from the background.

Unfortunately, despite these possible intentions, I felt that the ensemble cast and quirky sideline characters were largely ineffective, distracting, and frequently annoying...

Meh. Glad to see that those who disliked the film are not all raving haters... but this thread will still likely become a fire zone soon enough. :) 

zmog

5. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The Autobots did use the glasses to find out where they needed to go next, and while its an exceptionally weak McGuffin, it did give them a reason to head to Nevada (as they were still in California at the time) and be there at Mission City.

6. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

The awful direction (constant switching to slow-mo and back again, and zooming back and forth) is what made me steer clear from 300 as well...and Battlestar Galactica.

I just wish modern action movies would drop the MTV-style camera work already.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It was The 2nd greatness movie ever!

1986 always #1.

8. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Yea, I pretty much agree with you on almost everything. Their were too many unneccissary human characters running around, and the Decepticons were nothing more then random monsters. And oh god...the shaky cam. I definately agree with your perseptions of the movie, but it was still better then what I was expecting. I just hope that in the second movie, they correct the mistakes of this one.

9. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    The movie had Michael Bay written all over it (beleive me I know - I've just spent the last 4 weeks studying all of his movies for my last English 3B assessment). His camera work, which is rather distinctive, was used to the max in the movie.

The largely irrelevant side characters all reeked of Bay. The slow motion, big explosions, car chase, and especially the score were also vintage Bay.

Whether or not you appreciated these things is a matter of personal taste. Honestly, the movie's plot has got more holes that a deluxe sized swiss cheese. The camera was annoying at times, and I can see how the humour grated with some of the people here.

But at the end of the day I loved the movie. Why? Because I'm a stupid paradox is why. Top of my English, Economics, and History classes, but I love my entertainment to be completely mindless. This is why I love Bay. If you were going into the movie expecting a cohesive plot, believable characters, and the entire thing to make sense, then of course you'd have been rather disappointed.

On the other hand I enjoyed it for what it was - entertainment for the masses. Bay is a blockbuster director, he markets to the lowest common denominator of cinema goers - those that just want fun, which Transformers provides by the bucket load.

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed, and to be frank he must have done something right because most people on here have seen it more than once (myself included - hell I even studied it!). In my opinion there could have been no one better to direct Transformers than Bay (Dont listen to me! Im biased, Bad Boys 1 and 2, and The Rock are amongst my all time favourites).

10. Turnpike

Turnpike Brawl is my bee-otch

11. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

12. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    it was pure entertainment. I enjoyed the hell out of it

just like how Resident Evil 3 is pure entertainment (to some, but i'll pass)

'nuff said

13. Sparky Prime

Sparky Prime Well-Known Member

Optimus explains in the movie Captain Witwicky had accidentally triggered Megatron's navigational systems which imprinted the location of the Allspark on the Captain's glasses. The Allspark was explained to have been located years later by Sector 7's founders and Hoover Dam was built around it in order to hide its energy signature from anyone else who might come looking for it (not to mention it was so massive they probably couldn't have moved it anyway). Megatron was then moved to this location for further study. So to answer your question, the point of the glasses was so the Transformers could find the location of the Allspark.

And personally, I thought this was an awesome movie.

14. Otispq

Otispq Elocution Onymous

News Credits:
    You like popcorn? If you do then you should like this movie, cuz that's what it is...just a popcorn flick. Some mindless summer get out of the heat fun movie with big action, big boobs and big robots. If your more into wine and cheese, well the Fall Oscar season is fast approaching.

If this movie had been made first and the animated one second, people would be saying the same things about the animated version as they are now saying about this one. The movie rocked despite all of its flaws, which are many. But so do the Star Wars movies that have plenty of their own flawed moments.

My point is just relax and be grateful we even got this movie.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Michael Bay created a movie that was both resoundingly successful with the general public AND well-liked by the majority of fans.

We can debate the finer points of what "proper" filmmaking ideals it supposedly failed to capture until we're infuriated with one another. Ultimately, though, we might do better to think a bit more "big picture"... and recognize/appreciate that as a direct result of the success of this movie, the Transformers franchise is the healthiest and most secure it has ever been.

In light of all those things, it's impossible for me to see the film as anything but exceptional.

16. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

17. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

18. Timmy 76

Timmy 76 Well-Known Member

I agree, i think the story was a bit shabby but i did enjoy the film as a whole and i also agree that i have read some threads from people that think that transformers is the greatest movie ever made, it simply isnt, all it was supposed to be was an enjoyable 2 hours some people were disapointed and some (like myself) were satisfied. it could have been so much more but it wasnt we have what we have so what are you gonna do! i say sit back and enjoy the ride.

valid point about reading things before hand though. i did and got all the points in the first viewing so i dont know how a new comer would see it and i also think that anyone who comes out and says they didnt like the film is blasted way to easily. some deserve it with ridiclious reasons for not liking it and i think now youve explained it more have probaly the most reasonable thought out issues with the film i read.

:thumb 

i loved it though!