Movie Trilogy Optimus Prime buy or no-buy ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by transfan681, Feb 17, 2012.

?

Movie Trilogy Optimus Prime buy or no-buy

Poll closed Mar 3, 2012.
  1. buy him now

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. dont buy save up money

23 vote(s)
    74.2%
  1. transfan681

transfan681 Retired TF Collector

News Credits:
    i been thinkin shoud i get this guy or save my money for somethin eles ?

2. Cortexitron

Cortexitron Alternate Reality Patrol

I voted for don't buy, but if that rare "clearance" variant is still there in a couple months, I'll probably bite. ...I'm a sucker for a Prime with trailer...

3. Sludge

Sludge Forged to Fight username: Roybot

News Credits:
    That's almost exactly what I was gonna say. I voted don't buy. But if I see one on clearance I won't be able to resist.

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Isn't this just a regularly shitty movie optimus with a shitty trailer being sold at an even shittier price point?

... if the answer to my question is yes, then you probably have your answer. Well, unless you don't have prime or a trailer & want both then I guess, but eh. It doesn't seem all that special to me, especially in terms of paying premium pricing right now.

5. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'm really on the fence too.

Does the trailer do... ANYTHING? I've seen next to no details about it, haven't even seen it open. TFWiki doesn't even have a mention of this release.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    From pictures I've seen (Toy Fair?) the trailer doesn't do anything besides open up.

Anyway, my daughter has the Walmart version of the deluxe that comes with that set and I gotta say, he isn't that bad. Worst thing about him is, IMHO, the plastic feels of lesser quality than other deluxes. But the paint apps on that guy are solid. (She has the normal, more traditional paint scheme version.)

But he is a not a bad little mold. Screen accurate in alt mode and not too bad in robot mode (did we not expect a backpack on a deluxe?). Robot mode is fairly poseable and the transformation is a nice mix of complex yet easy and satisfying.

He not a perfect toy granted, or even the best example of a deluxe we've seen, but at the right price, him with a trailer isn't a bad pickup.

7. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

To be honest, the figure looks like the best DotM Prime available domestically. But at the end of the day, it's still Optimus Prime in a dull color scheme with a box.

... and yet I am still tempted. Huh.

8. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I might buy it for the trailer, to add to my current DOTM Deluxe Prime. He paints up really nicely:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

From pics I saw of the chronicle set it was built to hold Japanese DOTM happy meal toys.

10. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Posting my review on this guy as I type. As with anything else, its a matter of personal preference more than anything. If you are a sucker for a prime WITH a trailer, then I'd say get him, but if not, I would at least wait for a sale. At $30 he is a little pricey. I actually like the deluxe OP as a figure, but thats just me :2c: 

Oh, and the trailer opens in a weird way from the side. The back door opens in the normal fashion.

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Guess I'll have to watch your Ramjet video in the meantime, then. :) 

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  12. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I like the Deluxe Optimus. He's very posable and is in scale with a lot of figures (like Deluxe Bonecrusher), just needs some paint.

The trailer, though, just doesn't do anything interesting, much less warrant buying Optimus again.

13. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, I'll probably wait for a sale if I do, but that trailer is shinier than I thought, and the way it opens could make for a nice backdrop when shown from the outside. Like, I still wish the deluxe prime was as nicely detailed as the single pack ones (especially in the wheels being painted because the alt mode is basically the selling point here), but its definitely not as bad as I thought initially, and it might be worth getting on sale like you said. If nothing else, it might be a nice trailer to use on the RID Voyager Prime, especially since I think that one looks really great in alt mode, and maybe even on the RTS deluxe.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    The trailer Optimus has less paint aps than the regular one? Wow, that's just sad.

15. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    That is one beautiful paint job Goaliebot.

16. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    Thanks! :D 

17. ex dtw2003

News Credits:
    Not just a little less either, like the preview photos from Toy Fair were showing.

So unless the toy that's pictured in the news thread is a factory error, it has a LOT less paint. Gone are the hood flames, though it does seem to have a bit more silver. Just weird.

18. Nightwind

Nightwind Aka Dusty Bottoms.

I'm thinking of getting him just to have a cheaper alternative to purchase a trailer for my Classics Prime. Still will have to see it in hand before making my decision, though.