Movie toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Alpha Prime, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Alpha Prime

Alpha Prime Ten Years Strong

Umm. i was looking at the designs for the tf movie tfs, and i was wondering, are the toys going to be able to transform? If so, how many pages long should the instruction manual be?

2. Windturf

Windturf Insane Ratchet Fan

My guess is that hasbro and co. are going to simplify the toys to make them less "machiney" and able to transform.

3. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Well, prototype images for both Blackout and Starscream leaked, which looks like they DO transform. They were both somewhat simplified versions, but had the same general layout and bot mode style as the movie designs.

So, yeah, most movie toys will probalby be simplified versions, with the possibility of more accurate and detailed non-transforming figures as well. At least, that's my guess.

4. nuopus

nuopus Well-Known Member

Ya ... and when did we have a G1 Transformers toy look exactly like their onscreen counterparts? Optimus didnt, Brawn didnt and Ratchet sure as hell didnt.

Its kind of a tradition for Transformers toys to be different than their on screen counterparts. Why should this movie be any different? But im sure we will get the croud that will be like ... "ZOMG if the toys don't look like they do on screen it will be total crap! I won't see this movie!"

5. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

In the case of the cartoons, they were made to help sell the toys. In this case, the toys will be made to help sell the movie, so to speak. That, and the fact that toy-making technology has moved on quite a bit in the last twenty-odd years, is reason to expect someting more like accurate to the movie. It'll be nice to see if they can pull it off, but I cant see them making a very accurate megatron that passes safety laws.

"You cant get a movie Megatron, son, you'll put your eye out!!!"

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

Ironic seeing as you can't get the original megatron in stores either >_>

The toy designs for SS and Blackout have already been leaked. They look similar, but are far more simplified. It's almost to the point where you can tell how they transform. A lot of the lil details and parts from the movie versions seem to have been blended into the actual structure of the figure, but it still looks very similar. Expect a lot of individual panels and ball joints on the autobots, or at least that's my guess.

7. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Er... the toys were pretty much spot-on as far as resembling the cartoons in Energon and Cybertron... I mean, minor details (such as faces, among other things) were different, obviously, but that's a limitation of CGI. ;) 

8. rayray40

rayray40 Member

Thats what I was thinking.

9. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Ya, and you know what? I have always lamented the fact that the makers of the show(s) and the makers of the toys could never make their product look like each other.

Sure, you might be citing "tradition", but I think that "tradition" sucks snot! Just once, I'd like the toys and on-screen version be identical. If you can't make a toy that transform the way they do on screen, then re-do the on-screen version to reflect the toy.

Just be sure they do a kick-ass toy, that's all. We'd still buy it.

WAL

10. paskal

paskal SHWOOOO!!

One of the first toy rumors was that there would be "Unleashed" toys that would have all the detail without transforming.

All I know is my credit card is going to be worn out after collecting all the movie toys.

11. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

You must have missed TF Cybertron/Galaxy Force, i gather? The likenesses there were spot on for most of the characters.

12. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

And RID and Beast Wars and Armada and Energon :D 

13. Ultimate Matt X

Ultimate Matt X Well-Known Member

You know other than joints and such for movement, I don't think the movie CGI models will be that drastically different from the toys. Sure the concept art looks out there, but they'll want to cut costs when they really get into designing the for the screen CGI bots. Definitely, they'll be more complicated than the toys, but I don't think it'll be thousands of parts like Bay has said before either. Maybe thousands of polygons. :) 

I bet the actual models in the film of Starscream and Blackout look more like the leaked figure pictures than they do the leaked concept art.

14. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Im sure they will Transform and not be to complicated at that. They will simplify designs for the youth and just to be simple..

15. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

Missed? No.
    More like passed up. However, if the toys were spot on to the show, then good for them.

Forgot about RID.

However, BW was close... BM wasn't close at all. You could count the toys on one hand that actually was the same as the show.

WAL

16. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

Thats because the MFE and Hasbaro didn't communicate too well while producing beast machines. As for G1, that was more of a lack of toy making technology really than anything else. As time went on the transformers toys became more and more like their cartoon counter parts to the point of near replicas with the latest shows.

17. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

That's because instead of facing the challenge, they changed the rules of the game; i.e. they made futuristic vehicles that looked like toys that would transform. Equivalent to facing an obstacle like a wall, instead of climbing it, you blow it up and make a bridge.

18. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

For G1, the toys came out way before the cartoon did though...

19. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

For G1 they fudged the robot modes a lot because the toys in robot mode didn't have a lot of, shall we say, proper proprtions or articulation. For Beast Wars they rounded off some rough edges, if you will, when the transformation forced the toy in beast mode to be a little bulky in the wrong places. And of course, BlackArachnia was completely off in both modes, no Tarantulas repaint there, no sir.

RiD and the minicon/Unicron trilogy brought us to the point that CGI models of the toys brought them 90% of the way there. The robot modes only needed a handful of joints added to provide a full range of human-type movement, and even then only with some of the guys.

I suspect the movie and its toys will be something like the Maximals in Beast Machines. The show gave them this whole flash-of-light almost morphing effect, but the toys had a standard transformation and still managed to look like the show models. No doubt the movie CGI transformations will have all sorts of little fiddly bits that the toys can't have, if for no other reason than the size of toys will limit that sort of thing.

20. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Just hope they don't go overkill with it like other movie toylines do.

Still too many Spiderman, Batman & Superman toys flooding the shelves. Not talking about the good ones, but all the gimmicky ones.