Movie toys Glowing Eyes: Do you care?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Axel990, May 27, 2011.

1. Axel990

Axel990 Lord of Unicorns

News Credits:
    Hey, this is something thats kind of been a thought in the back of my head for some time, and I was wondering if anyone else had the similar thoughts. As we all know, a majority of the movie toys (I'm not sure about toys from other Transformer lines) feature translucent blue or red plastic in the back of their heads and form eyes for the characters. I was wondering if anyone really care if they had the feature or not.

Granted, with the right lighting, it gives a pretty nice effect. I find that it is most noticeable on DOTM Shockwave, since his toy has the massive one eye. But other times this effect doesn't always show. The colored plastic being used by Hasbro, although translucent, is still too dark for any light to get through from the back of the head. Also, some toys don't even feature this effect at all, and replace the translucent plastic with a solid color (like ROTF Long Haul for example, or ROTF Bumblebee).

So what do you think? Do you like have a few the toys having the ability to have glowing eyes? Or would you prefer if Hasbro just used solid colors to fill in the eye sockets? Whatever your opinion is, please feel free to post it here.

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As long as it works, then I'll take lightpiping over nothing, any day. I have issues with the feature when it's cast in such dark plastic (Movie 1 Ironhide, as an example), that the feature is useless and deadens the eyes. But on the other hand, the feature works brilliantly in other figures, and I wouldn't want to part with it in the least.

3. It Is Him

It Is Him Well-Known Member

I wish we had light piping back in the 80s. It's such a simple and clever feature of new toys.

4. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I was under the impression light piping was more prevalent on non-movie toys? Either way, I'm a fan of it

5. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    Light piping or gtfo.

6. jerryitus

jerryitus Transformer vacuum

I also seem to think that DOTM is the first movie line that has really had any decent light piping (like Shockwave). Although some of the late molds from HFTD like Axor/Lockdown were pretty good. I also have to agree that regardless, I'm always a fan of it.

7. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Working lightpiping or not, translucent plastic is a much better imitation of robotic eyes than solid painted plastic.

i'm sure some late g1 figures (european exclusives at least) had wonderfully working lightpiping. (autobot's eyes were being red as well)

8. Sideways77

Sideways77 some garbage is okay

News Credits:
    I love lightpiping.

But I was dissapointed with TFTM Landmine. He had four eyes, ready to be lit, but were painted over. Hasbro is so cheap.

9. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I sure wouldn't mind if any TFs have the glowing eyes effect. It would sure make them a whole lot more cooler.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Even if it's not good light piping I prefer translucent eyes at least. Painted eyes just look so... half-assed.

11. sideswipe88

sideswipe88 Stig's Asian Cousin

News Credits:
    From an angle Roadbuster glows quite well

12. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I love it when done right. I really don't like it when a figure has light piping, and then Hasbro goes ahead and paints the eyes (WFC Megatron, HFTD Terradive, etc.). Those cases are just a waste of light piping.

13. Toxicon

Toxicon Banned

News Credits:
    Lightpiping looks amazing when done well, and it usually is, for the most part. Painted eyes are okay if they're bright enough, like on ROTF Soundwave, for example.

Also, Leaders need lightpiping desperately. The dead black eyes are fucking pitiful and bring down the quality of the figure for me.

14. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In some cases, the toy is designed with the lightpiping in mind, and may be used for potential redecoes, but it doesn't work out for whatever reason. For Megatron, his translucent parts are purple to replicate the game art, so they had to paint his eyes red to compensate. But they could always restore the feature if they feel inclined.

Other times, it's just designed the same way as a light-piped piece, whether it's an intended feature or not. RotF Bludgeon, for example, has a separate eye piece, but it's the same grey plastic as his upper limbs. It's not that there was a dropped light-piping feature, it's just that having the eyes as a separate piece gives them better definition, and allows them to be painted without slop screwing up the rest of the face.

15. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    OK, I think I understand it a bit better. Thanks!

16. Suchus Prime

Suchus Prime Well-Known Member

I dont really care to be honest

17. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

When lightpiping is done right i love it! DOTM Voyager Megs has some nice lightpiping and it just looks great when i actually have his cloak off.

18. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    Why is it this thread makes it seem like lightpiping is a relatively new thing for the line? It's been around as long as I can remember, starting back with Beast Wars. Wouldn't be surprised if it was around before then even.

Hell I remember some old Star Wars figures (like the Jawas) had it.

19. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I like it quite a bit. I'm not crazy about the look a figure has when it has an abandoned light piping feature, though.

20. Kaiwera05

Kaiwera05 Soundwave Enthusiast

Ebay:
    I effing love light piping. It makes pictures and just general posing look so much more badass.