Movie Toys : Buy Now or Wait?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    There seems to be a decent amount of speculation that certain movie figures will be re-released with updated paint, or in some cases, in larger sizes. That said, I'm wondering if some of the collecting veterans out there think it could be worthwhile waiting to pick up some of these figures.

For example, some people are claiming to "know" that Leader Megatron will likely be released with more accurate movie colors that actually match. And there seems to be murmers that Bonecrusher could be released as a Voyager size, while Brawl, Starscream and possibly even Blackout are supposedly coming out as Leader sizes later on.

I have no idea if there is any confirmed truth to it since it's all interweb ramblings, but obviously don't want to buy figures like Leader Megs ($70.00 CDN) if we're just going to see better versions later.

Any input or advice not of the smartass variety? :) 

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If you wait, you're unlikely to loose out, Movie toys will be everywhere for months.

However, Brawl is the only one that's actually been confirmed as a leader class toy.

The larger Boencrusher appears to be nothing more than an error on the part of HLJ, Takara are mostly offering Hasbro movie toys in the same packaging with a sticker on the box .The confirmed exceptions so far being some small changes to '74 BB and the FABS being offered in different packaging.

Leader Class Blackout is wild speculation at this point, perhaps born from peoples disgruntlement with it's size. Hasbro are already being fairly ambitious offering 3 Leader class toys for a line which will last 7 - 8 months at the outside.

Even with a more movie like color scheme, Megatron would still be fairly close to what it is now. On top of that, the the paint required for such an 'improvement''
    may be fairly delicate. (See Cyb Galvatron) Hasbro have purposely stuck with a more flat grey finish on Leader Prime, i'd be surprised if they do otherwise with Megatron.

Part of the confusion about repaints may have resulted from forthcomming repaints of Starscream and Ratchet.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i'm sure therell be a shitload of movie toys even later down the road.

4. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Plus, I expect many of these toys to hit clearance aisles hard once the movie is past.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's when I'll get the expensive ones.

I can't wait for Ratchet's repaint. I plan to get both, then I'll have the movie accurate one, then repaint the white one into Gorgian C.A.C.C. ambulance colours!

6. DeceptiKreep

DeceptiKreep Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    buy them online

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm buying some of the exclusives, and a few things that might be harder to find later (for example, Legends). I'm headin' to Botcon, so I'm still saving money for that. By Thanksgiving, all of these toys will be Buy-1-Get-1 or clearanced, so I'm content to wait.

Oh, and I got Leader Prime. Too cool to pass up.

-Tony!

8. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only leader class digures I want is bonecrusher and brawl aside from megs and optimus.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    No reason to expect that. This is an on-going line that will likely last longer than the movie is in theaters.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

It depends. Movie Deluxes, Voyagers, and Robot Heroes I would suggest buying now, because there are a few more waves of those still due to come out later, and some of the ones out now will probably not stay in future case assortments so it will be hit or miss which ones you can get later if you change your mind. Exclusives, obviously, you should buy as soon as possible if you want them. Most other stuff seems like it's available in enormous quantities and you can probably buy at your leisure when you're confident it's the one you want.

11. Runamuck

Runamuck Swindle Knows Best

News Credits:
    I agree with KD. Some of the toys you might lose the chance of getting if you wait too long. That is the way it happened with some of the Classics and some of the Cybertron line.

12. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    if you buy at target now, you'll be saving some money now. 17.99 for voyagers and 19.99 for robovision prime. and 7.99 for deluxes!! right?or 8.99, i dont' remember, either, that's saving more money than usual. WERD!!!

13. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    It is? Since when? I figured it'd be like other movies - big release before the movie, then some more trickling in to go along side the movie, then slowly trickle down to nothing, go on clearance. Then when the movie comes out on DVD, toys will ship again, for a little bit, then clearance again.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    since it was revealed that they're doing repaints of the figures like final battle jazz, G1 starscream, thundercracker, and a new leader prime deco. that extends the line to at LEAST four waves, which is longer than classics ran.

15. meetoblivion

meetoblivion aka chazzy

Ebay:
    That's one thing to look at yes. However, wave 1 and 2 is mostly out already. I figure 3 and 4 will ship together as well.

Plus what does 3 and 4 have?

DX G1 Jazz
    DX 08 Bumble
    DX Dreadwind
    DX Arcee
    DX Longarm + the other autobot from the game
    VO Prime
    VO Megs
    VO StarScream/Tcracker/G1 Ratchet/someone else
    LDR Brawl
    LDR Prime Redeco

If you look at the cross sells on the shots we've seen for arcee/longarm/08 bee, they show who they're cross selling with. I honestly think that's it.

16. bw_rhinox

bw_rhinox Well-Known Member

For most people it is just fine to wait for a more detailed or more acurate colored version. But for me I will be buying all the versions that come out.

17. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

Don't forget... this IS supposed to be a trilogy.

Since that's the cool thing to do these days.

New movies usually mean new characters means new toys. And honestly? I can't wait. Bring em on!