Movie Toys and what to expect

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Joe Moore, May 24, 2006.

1. Roller

Roller Keep on rollin'! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I expect them to be similar to the "classics" line.

I also expect re-issue Optimus and re-issue Starscream to be re-re-issued since the movie may spark some nostaglia for people who remember the cartoon but aren't already collectors.

2. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Hmmm maybe I should go retro an get a TF lunchbox.

I'm pretty much using a cooler everyday for lunch.

I haven't had a lunchbox in years.

3. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Here is what I see:
    The traditional basic pricepoint will be omitted, Sigma Six and Classics have shown you can start a line a premium and retailers will take it. Instead, a LoC style line, going on up from there:

$5- Human GI Joe style figures/ mini version of core movie characters

$10- Nearly all Transformer figures plus a few cameo/non film repaints

$20- "deluxe" cars and bigger figures (like Scorponok and Devastator)

$30-$40- Grand poobah Optimus Prime with Trailer and Megatron.

I also think we'll see Classics continue as a revamped Universe line with a smattering of new molds, further adding to the $10 and $20 Pricepoints

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I just realized how many different lines are coming in 2007.
    Movie line, Titanium, Alternators, Whatever show is on CN.

We are getting spoiled.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I don't believe there's going to BE a show next year. So you'll see, Classics, Movie, Titaniums, and Alternators.

6. Lazerbeak

Lazerbeak Keronian Ambassador

Going by the pattern set by EVERY movie toy-line in the past 20 years, I see the following happening:

- We'll get human toys (which is to be expected), with strange, oversized missile launchers they never used in the film. Think back to Jurassic Park.

- We'll see DOZENS of variations of the same character. Think "Glider Attack Spike!", "Stealth Warrior Optimus!", "Battle-Damage Megatron!" and "Water Assault Carly!", among others.

- We'll be recieving many non-standard toys. Beachballs, lunchboxes, roleplay-sized renditions of Optimus's rifle (with ooze-blasting action!), and yes, maybe even pyjamas. Which is actually rather cool.

Now obviously, I have no way of knowing if this will or won't happen, but considering how many summer action movies followed the same trend with their toys, it seems quite likely.

7. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

I'm thinking if there are human "dolls/Action figures" that are released as part of the line, then the Transformers will obviously be engineered to interact with them.
    Something makes me think of Action Masters for some reason.

8. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

"Water Assault Carly!" has so much potential for bad jokes :D 

WET T-SHIRT CONTEST!!!!!!

9. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

i think about 12 megatrons and 21 optimus primes with one or 2 of the other characters in each store, that sounds about right. oh and only 1 of each of those primes/megatrons will be in the right movie colors, which of course will always be sold out, so the rest will be shelf warmers because no one wants bed-wetting megatron.

10. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Look at most every other movie toyline. They offer the same characters at a variety of price points, with a variety of special features. Hopefully they will have one price point reserved for Alternators - style figures, but given the quality of movie-related toys the past few years, I am largely expecting cheap crap.

11. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't know what to fully expect, all I know is that whatever comes is probably going to drive all of us crazy, especially the completionists.

12. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I expect a lot of figures based on the humans in the movie.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Things I expect:

Human character figures.

Multiple price-point robots, but only for Optimus and Bumblebee. Everyone else gets one. Mayyyyyyyyybe Megatron gets an extra.

Possible robot characters that weren't actually in the movie (or were in the background) to extend the line through the DVD release, or maybe even through to a cartoon tied to the movie.

Anyone else expect the movie and it's toys to set the pace for TF lines for the next two or three years afterward, much like the Armada-Energon-Cybertron thing?

14. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

***Sniggers in perverted fashion***

Working on the basis that they'll want to drag in people who weren't really into buying TFs before, they'll probably be very straight forward transformations. Perhaps with strong emphasis on articulation . Think Cyb. Downshift...

One thing I am very sure of is that next year. Hasbro are going to make a HUGE push on TFs not just the movie line, but everything TF. The Hasbro version of MP Starscream will be announced, it will spearhead the expansion of The Alternators line.

15. Ger_Hankey

Ger_Hankey Now hiring evil minions

I don't know how much life is left in the Alternators line, to be honest. For one thing, with GM providing all the vehicles for the movie, that might hurt Hasbro's chances of getting lisences from other car manufacturers. As well as that, the main target market for Alternators would be older fans looking for updated versions of the G1 line, which Hasbro will be catering for with the Classics line, which (I assume) will cost them less to produce.
    If they concentrated on the classics line and a few more masterpieces for the collectors, I'd be happy with that

16. artiepants

artiepants #GoHawks

News Credits:
    I'd really expect about 3 scales ~ something LoC-ish, something 'standard line-ish' and something 'Alternator-esque'

I'm really hoping that with the rather limited cast we'll get, essentially, Alternator versions of most of them ~ a $20 1/24 scale line for the various cars and a $40 variable scale (i.e. 1/24ish for Prime/1/60 or what have you for Starscream) basically, higher end licensed versions.

bonus would be if the human characters got 1/24 figures (ala MASK figures) that coould fit in them... alternatively, if the human characters are compelling enough, i'd love some GIJoe style figures, could do a $5 pricepoint with those and LoC sized TFs

I expect we'll see a fairly standard breakdown of 'main line' figures like we have for the past 10ish years of Basics ($5-$7) Deluxes ($10) Megas/Voyagers ($20) Ultras ($25-$30) and leader/Super ($40)

edit: I really hope they don't eoverlly kiddifie things ~ the Cybertron line overall really seems a good benchmark ~ they managed to come up with TF schemes that were fairly simple and intuitive, but always seemed to have inovative ideas and unconventianal moves ~ i.e. Mudflaps Asymetrical scheme creating a symetrical robot...

17. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

I just want my Optimus Prime fists, thank you very much.

18. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Getting licensing from multiple companies may have been a tricky prospect, effectively they'd be advertising against each other in one feature.

It may even have not been Hasbro who pushed for the exclusive.

IIRC, when Hasbro started work on The Alternators line, General Motors said 'NO' (Tracks was at one point going to be a Viper rather than a Zo6), then said yes.
    This would suggest GM may want
    a proverbial 'Carrot'such as an exclusive of some sort.

Something to bear in mind; A live action Transformers movie is bound to be set in America, so it stands to reason that the cars in it should also be American.
    After all, they're meant to blend in.

Licensed toys aren't really a major concern for car companies. I doubt they'd withold a license from Hasbro simply because they have a grudge about a rival company who granted a license to Hasbro.

Also bear in mind, that since TakaraTomy
    and Hasbro are partners in designing Alts/BTs but that different cars are popular in Japan and North America, they can't really focus exclusively
    on speciffic manufacturers or types of car.
    (See Takara explanation for the RAM having to be Convoy)

'Older Collectors' Hasbro has been pandering to them since at least 2001. (RID) IIRC we make up 20% of total sales on TFs. We probably aren't 20% of the fandom however. Relative to younger age brackets we have much more money to spend on TFs and we don't have to ask an adult for it. TFs are a core Hasbro brand, and we are a major factor in the survival of that brand.

which leads on to this part....

Classics VS Alts; Classics aren't a replacment for Alts, they're not realistic scale models of actual cars.
    There's room for both. Alternators aren't going away for a long time, Camshaft may be dull as dishwater, but if and when you handle Mirage you'll see they''re still comitted to Alternators. They could've just phoned that mold in and it would've sold well.

Masterpiece: 20Th
    Prime was (probably) a once off. Starscream is not as iconic to the casual fan as Prime
    Selling a $80 Prime in America is one thing, $80
    Starscream is annother.

The somewhat reduced size on MP Starsceam suggests that Hasbro want to get the mold into a lower price bracket for North America.They have hinted at an expanded Alt line before, they wouldn't have mentioned it unless they had fairly definate plans.

Cost: I don't know how much it costs to produce an Alternator, but Hasbro keep a keen eye on production costs (see Cyb.Soundwave VS GF Soundwave) and if Alts were costing them too much to produce, they'd cut costs rather than scrub the line. Even if the line falters a little, the basic idea is highly marketable. Their ultimate goal would be to have people buying ALL their TFs, Alts, Classics, Movie toys.

...and aside from that if Hasbro were to scrub Alts there would be A LOT of very disgruntled fans.

19. Rattrap

Rattrap Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Im hoping that we get some toys that arent transformable, but highly detailed, and poseable, and possibly some transformable ones that show battle damage, with pop off arms and stuff like that, and of course the regular transformable ones. Some playsets/bases would be cool too

20. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

Ya, because you never see a Japanese car around.:rolleyes2 
    Even though this is a movie line, it's still a TF line. Any retarded gimmicks will be sabed for the human figures.