Movie ticket prices?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by chrisr291, Jun 5, 2011.

1. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Is it just me or have movie ticket prices skyrocketed over the past couple of weeks?

I took my Nephew to see Hangover 2 last week; Total cost: $17.58

Same Nephew, Theater, X-Men: $24.57

WTF? It's not that big of a price difference but damn... I can get 2 Six Flags tickets at work for a couple bucks more:lol 

2. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That's why I go in the morning. 2 tickets to Hangover 2, 12 bucks.

....used to be 14 for 2 tickets at night. Those were the days.

3. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I miss $4 matinee and $6 nighttime tickets. Now it's $7 for the matinee in my area.

Just means I have to be a better consumer and only see movie that I feel are worth the price.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It really does depend on where you go, and nowadays, whether its in imax or 3d. Try seeing if there are any smaller local theatres you can go to, or drive-ins.

5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The closest theater is $8 for afternoons & $10 for nights. There is a cheaper theater but taking info account gas to get to it & back, its cheaper just to pay the higher ticket price.

6. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

Yeah,that's why I usually go to the afternoon matinees.It may only be a couple of bucks cheaper,but if it's the whole family going,it adds up.

7. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Matinee around me is $8.50 per adult!

8. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My theater offers $5 movies on weekdays (well Mon-Thurs) before 6 pm and on weekends and holidays before noon. I almost never go to a movie any other time.

9. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I saw Thor recently after not having been to the movies since Inception came out last year, and the cost was $24 AFTER a $6 coupon was credited. I thought the ticket guy made an error and asked him about it. It's not just bad movies that are killing the movie going experience these days....ticket prices are getting out of hand.

10. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yes Hollywood has noticed a drop in attendance. It doesn't help that if you wait 3 or 4 months you can buy the BluRay or the DVD for around the same price or cheaper. A Bad economy and higher prices doesn't equal sales like it had in the past. These days there are multimillion dollar video games, Home Video, Internet, Internet video (netflix,hulu,etc), cable tv with hundreds of channels, and various other distractions to compete for attention of viewers.

Also after a year 3D isn't as impressive to viewers as in previous yeas, so a movie with 3D doesn't automatically equal viewers in the theaters and many are turned off by the eye strain.

11. Seeker

Seeker Time Lord

Ebay:
    They are $7.50 for matinee in my area and it has caused me to really slow down in the movie going area. I can wait to see certain movies and if I wait long enough I may can check them out from the library for free.

12. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    3D ticket prices cost £6.45 for a daytime ticket and £7.35 for a late night screening, and thats only the child ticket prices, atleast thats how it is at the Vue cinema.

13. NSJ23

NSJ23 Binalternator Lover

if i'm not on a date i hit the $6 4pm evening matinee, but when it's a date (assigned love seating, over 21 area for adult beverages) i know it's a $60+ dollar trip. hell a 3-D kids movie with my daughter normally runs about $45 :( 

14. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Thus has been partly my reasoning against going to the cinema for almost the last decade. Once I add up ticket(s) price and parking (as my local cinema doesn't have its own parking) and possibly something to eat (although when I did used to go watch movies I'd bring my own food) I may as well just wait the short time for the home release to arrive and pay about the same price as a cinema trip and have a personal copy to watch as many times as I like in the comfort of my own home.
    My girlfriend loves going out to see movies though so sometimes my glorious cheapo plan is scuppered. :p 

15. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    last matinee i went to, cost me 9 bucks for a ticket, and then paid 8 bucks for a large drink and medium popcorn.
    i told the clerk at the candy counter that when going to the movies cost 30 bucks for one person, it better come with an inflatable date and wet wipes.

sheesh.

16. SlayerDarkCross

SlayerDarkCross -----------> ? TFW2005 Supporter

The Regal 16 by my house has 5$ Sundays

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Wow. You guys pay a lot for your tickets.

Super Saver shows before Noon Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
    $4.25

Matinee Shows from 12pm to 6pm
    $5.00

Children
    $6.50

Seniors
    $7.00

Students
    (with Valid Student ID)
    $8.50

Adults Evening
    $9.75

For 3-D Digital, please add $2.50 to every ticket

For a while I had a friend who worked the theatre so I got to see several for free, but even now, it's no where near as bad as you guys.

18. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mind the ticket price so much, since I always go before noon on weekends for the $5 matinees and eat before the show. The thing that generally dissuades me from going to see movies most of the time is having to deal with the other people in the theatre. If the theatre could guarantee me that I'd get to see a movie without other members of the audience talking, texting, shouting advice to the characters on the screen or generally being idiots, I'd gladly pay $10 a ticket. Since they can't, I'd rather just wait for most movies to hit DVD and enjoy them at home.

19. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I go before 6pm...its usually $6.50. I don't do 3D don't care how good it shows. Don't do Imax, where I go has a Monster screen. And my wife just signed up to this website called gofobo.com where we will receive emails passes for free screenings. Tomorrow we will see Super 8 for free...

20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    There were 2 of us for POTC4 and it was $22 for the 1 p.m. showing..not matinee prices, that's for sure..yeah, it was 3D..so an extra $3 per ticket of that. Still like some of you, what happened to the $5-$7 tickets?? :popcorn