Minor/Repaint: Movie style(?) Insecticon Bombshell WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by the (H)i(GH)con, Mar 19, 2009.

1. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

The second I saw this mold, I thought Bombshell... At first I thought It would make a good movie version with the head swap I did, which came from a Manga Spawn figure. I had to trim down the sides for it to slide down into the chest and make the hole bigger. I still have a few more minor things I want to do, including cutting the upper front lasers to make the eyes, but other than that, he's pretty much ready for painting.

The problem is.... Now that I look at it, I kinda want to put a more G1ish head on him and paint him in a more G1ish scheme (My original "movie" idea would be a dark metalic base coat, drybrushed with black/gunmetal and purple, as oppposed to what I would consider a more G1 paint scheme with just solid colors, if that makes any sense...)

Anyways, here's some pics of bombshell with his current (IMO) "movie" style head. I'd love to hear what you guys think. Maybe a different point of view will help me amake up my mind.

Attached Files:

2. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

Sweet..........

3. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Very clever!

4. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

I think you should do a mix of G1 and Movie style.

Like, big blocks of colour, but in a more faded sorta way, instead of G1's bright colours. G1 deco, faded or worn.

5. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to lie, I LOVE IT! :-D

Awesome idea, and the head fits perfectly.

I think this mold could also be considered an animated figure if you went for a more toon paint job.

I agree with Treadshot A1 that you should go for G1 colours, but more worn, faded, maybe drybrush some silver on so that it looks like the paint has worn away. Just imagine what his nice G1 paintjob would look like after a few years in jungles/swamps, and try and get that sort of wear/tear on him.

Lots of painters on here can describe it much better than I can, and they can probably make suggestions on actual colours and techniques too.

6. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    Great Idea!
    I love that head. Now that makes me wonder what other Spawn character heads would look good on Transformers. I'm always looking for fresh new ideas on heads for some of my TF's. Like I used a few Halo figures heads on my Alternators to do my Predicons I'm working on. Also using that StarWars TF was a new fresh idea that we havn't seen done yet.

Do you have plans to the other insecticons?

7. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    This is too cool....I never would have thought of this....nice eye for the unseen.

I like the head you have on him. I think it goes with the movie feel you said you were going for....I think what may be throwing it off a little is that the bot parts look more traditional than movie....

Still, I like it....looking forward to seeing him finished.

8. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I look forward to seeing more of this.

9. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

That's kinda what I was thinking... although it would be my first attempt at drybrushing, and I'm a bit nervous about it, I guess ya gotta start somewhere!

I have 2 more Spawn heads, 1 is Cyber Spawn and the other is the other Manga Spawn. I was gonna use them for the other 2 insecticons IF I can get them casted. As far as molds... I'll probably use the same mold for shrapnel, just with pinchers instead. But I honestly have no clue what to use for Kickback.... at first, I was thinking about using a Starwars At-AT to start, but now I'm not so sure. Makes me wish TF's came with a "try before you buy" option!

To everyone else.... Thanks for the comments! As soon as I get some paint, I'll finish him up and post some more pics.

10. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Very cool!

11. Auceps Prime

Auceps Prime Mini-Bot Leader

Ebay:
    For head casting you could try and get a hold of Darkov he's pretty good at that sorta thing. Plus he usually can get them done pretty quick and his prices are pretty good also.

12. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

News Credits:
    nice job

13. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

How can you actually possibly make a mistake when drybrushing? [/rhetorical question] It's not that hard.