2D Artwork: Movie Style Grimlock Triple-Changer

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Sso02V, May 6, 2007.

1. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Tried to think of a way for Grimlock to still be a T-Rex and be "in disguise" and came up with his protoform landing at an excavation site that uncovered some fossils.

Based on a Caterpillar D11 bulldozer (but the only reference I had at the moment was a D9, so there are some differences)
    T-Rex Mode
    Robot Mode

I think now that I have the designs I'll try a movie-style character sheet, maybe add some detail to the head design

2. Bigd

Bigd Autobot

so far...... cool. waiting for final details

3. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That’s an interesting idea. A lot of people want Grimlock in the next movie (assuming there is one) and I thought having him turn into a dino would be silly, but I can see something like this working.

4. chaosbringer_00

chaosbringer_00 I am indescribable.

Genius. No other word for it. That and extremely well done. This is the perfect way to have Grimlock with a realistic alt mode. Are you gonna make any pics of his third mode?

5. Sso02V

News Credits:
    The original idea was to have it as just the bulldozer turning into the T-rex, but somewhere along the line I decided to go all the way and give it a true robot mode too.

I hadn't thought of drawing the bulldozer mode, but since there are a few changes made to the design (armored treads and wheels, no ripper or front scoop) I could try and squeeze it into the character sheet

6. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

This is a great idea for the movie. I can see where a T-Rex mode would be useful too, but not a good hiding mode. This solves that. He can hide in bulldozer mode and chomp down on decepticons in Dino mode. They transform again and kick ass in robo mode.

7. Sso02V

News Credits:
    I haven't nailed down any armaments yet, but he definately has his dino mode fire breath. I was thinking of giving him back the ripper and front scoop and making them into a sword and shield, but there's nowhere for them to go while he's in T-rex mode

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

I really like where you are going here. its a really good idea but to be completly honest I do NOT like the colors so far

9. WallOfMetal

WallOfMetal Well-Known Member

I love the T-Rex mode. The head looks really fierce and aggressive. The treads on the tail with the cab on the back look fantastic, pretty inspired stuff. He actually comes off as a Dinobot/Constructicon hybrid. The robot mode is a bit bland though, IMO, he lacks features by comparison. I would add some stuff, like bringing up the treads to ape the "shoulder wing" look and try and get the cab into the chest.

10. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

I can dig it, great work.

11. Sso02V

News Credits:
    The colors have been a bit of a hinderance, since none of Grimlocks traditional colors would help him in disguise as a bulldozer.

The cab on the back is a throwback to his G1/Diaclone version with the fold-out seat. I originally tried configuring the treads so they looked like his "wings" but they're just too large. Made him look far too top-heavy. The treads do serve a purpose other than dangling on his back in bot mode, as they can rotate around and lock over his arms using the drive sprockets to make them a sort of grinding pair of boxing gloves.

thanks, I still have a few bugs to work out.

12. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

Keep up the good work. :) 

13. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    I could live with Grimlock looking like that, only question is the size diffrence between both the Bulldozer and T-rex modes...

14. Bumblejazz

Bumblejazz Autobot

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'm really liking this.

15. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

The choice for a bulldozer be due to the RiD Grimlock I suppose? It's an interesting idea, though you'd probably want to do something about that big bulldozer dinobutt.

Don't know, it seems a bit overly complicated. An alternative origin would be using something similar to that used in TF Animated; Though in this case you could opt for robotic dinosaurmodels at some Natural History Museum being scanned.

Because if you do Grimlock, what would you have to do with the other Dinobots? Just Grimlock would be a bit of a waste, tbh.

Still not a fan of movie style anyway.

16. Sso02V

News Credits:
    "wise fwom your gwave!"

yeah, I've since abandoned my construction vehicle origin in favor of just having him as an alien robot remarkably similar to a T-rex, just as Scorponok is remarkably similar to a scorpion.

I redid this, in this equally old and musty thread

one thing to note is that dozer-grimlock I made before the movie came out, and APC-grimlock after.

17. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    SWEET! Those are very interesting designs.