2D Artwork: Movie Starscream's Head Redux

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by timshinn73, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Yeah man, very nice.

2. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    One more try:

[​IMG]

Made changes to the mouth, chin, eyes, Cut back on all the red, blah, blah, blah...

Hopefully it's a tad better than before. Could be time to go in a new direction. Thanks for taking a look!

3. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

timshinn, that's really great work. I love what you're doing with the helmet and the eyes, as it still fits into the film's design aesthetic. I would recommend breaking the nose up more, as it is such a prominent single piece. Also, I would try separating the panels Infosaur suggested even more, so that they could physically move individually to make different facial expressions. I'm trying to think of an example of this, but I'm not sure if it's ever been done before...

4. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

^^ Radical example? "Helping Hands" from Labrynth ^^^

5. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Had to google it to refresh my memory, but that's a great example! Cool!

Revise #4:

[​IMG]

To be honest, I like version 3 a lot. But I also know that versions 1 thru 3 aren't the best designs in terms of realistic CGI animation potential. They are just too solid and cartoony. This 4th version is a bit closer to what I tried to do in the Megatron Redux thread. More segmented metal plates that can be moved independently to allow for maximum articulation. It still has a lot of old school Starscream in there. It's just not so "shoe box with eyes" like so many of the G1 cartoon faces were. Granted, those faces were that way because it was on a budget and had to be hand drawn and 2D animation allows for a lot of cheats. I'm not knocking that. I love it. Economy and design go hand in hand in a lot of cases.

I think this is a valuable exercise for all of us. We're just having fun here with Starscream. I've made a lot of revisions based on the feedback I recieved to better meet the wishes of a large group of people here and at several other boards. Did the changes sway some folks? Yes. Does this very G1 heavy design please a lot of folks? Yes. Do a large group still find this design "not enough" either in "G1-ness" or in "new direction-ness" or do some just dislike it altogether in terms of a live action film design or because it'sjust not what they want for whatever reason? Yes.

The point is it's hard to get 3 people to agree on anything, let alone thousands (if not millions) of people to agree on what is the perfect design for a fictional killer robot from outer space that transforms into a fighter jet.

All I'm saying is that if we, as fans, can voice our opions in a mature way, with respect and friendliness, change can take place. Usually for the better. Not always, but nothing is perfect.

Am I happy with all the TF movie designs I'v seen so far? No. Have some of the designs made me downright upset? You bet. Am I going to see the exact TF movie that's been in my head for the past 20 years? No way. Do I like some of the designs so far? Yes, and I make sure I say I like them. That's the kind of feedback that can make a difference. Suggestions to improve designs we don't like can help too. We don't have to loose our reason in the process, though.

Hopefully, we've done just that here just messing around with a pic of Starscream. And hopefully, the movie designs will improve with our constructive input as well.

6. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I dunno man, maybe it's the shape of the nose, but the more you tinker with it, the more it looks like Michael Jackson to me!

7. AutobotSDG

AutobotSDG Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"You don't want to mess with me Megatron, because I'm Bad!"

I'm sorry... I had to do it... I was seeing the same thing.

I don't really care for the new head that the proto for Starscream has either, but I just can't see a typical seeker head based design on the new body either.

Maybe that's just me though.

8. Lord Megatron

Lord Megatron FFFF

The fourth one makes him look like he has a moustache.

9. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument Of Destruction

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Handle):
    The fourth design brings it home for me. It looks sinister and real, yet brings home the Starscream we know and love. Te full body mode could use some work. Don't really like all the gray.