Heavy/Scratch: Movie Starscream WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by iDarkDesign, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Crefigz

Crefigz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    thats a very cool and accurate mod. I like how you did it, its like the best Starscream mod I've seen.

Its awesomely accurate, best is its articulated. When are you going to get it painted ?
    I can see it will turn out great based on the mod.

2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    Update Time!

[​IMG]
    It's a fresh hand! Zombie decepticons! I added the fingerguards, and some more detail. I might redo the inner details for the forearm as I'm not yet happy with the result.

[​IMG]
    Different angle

[​IMG]
    Now with added upperarm armor! That and the shoulderguard. It retains it's full range of motion.

[​IMG]
    Now this is convenient. Even for me! You easily notice everything that is either scratchbuilt or modded as the colors are off. I started detailing the jetpack but it's not finished yet. I added the big toe-armor and I modified the top of the head a bit.

[​IMG]
    Different angle. I haven't yet started on the details for the launcher. I will start that shortly!

I will be adding more details to the body too as it seems a bit too bland for my liking. I will try to keep the transformation in tact (Challenge!) After all is finished.... paint job!

iDD

Attached Files:

3. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    Man i can't wait to see it painted as it looks like a mess this way (colors)!

4. OptimusPrimal13

OptimusPrimal13 Dutch Radicon

This is going to be great, dude. Screamer FTW. :rock 

5. Crefigz

Crefigz Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Wow ! Its the best and you're making it even better.

6. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Wow. Awesome mod there on my fav TF1 movie character. Keep up the good work !

7. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy Crap - and here I thought I did you a disservice by posting pics (started worrying that posting more detailed pics only scared you off this bad boy), but now I see it only fueled you passion for the project...

Excellent.

You keep besting yourself by making this the most amazing custom of SS to date.

8. iDarkDesign

News Credits:
    Good to see I've got some fans :) 

Not much to update: added a bit more detail. But still not really making progress. I think that when the launcher is done I will have to call it a day and start painting. I can't really make this thing anymore accurate without giving up the alt-mode.

I wanted to add the third toe but before I want to transform him to see if it fits. If it does I'll have to do all 6 toes (to have them be the same instead of one standing out)

I wanted to add some detail to the body to keep up with the detail on the jetpack and the arms but I can't really add any parts as it is all in the transformation. I hope this won't be as obvious when it's all painted.

[​IMG]
    Anyone have any ideas how to make this any better? I might be staring myself blind at my own ideas.

[​IMG]

iDD

Attached Files:

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    the rocket backpack has turned out REALLY nice.

10. closetrat

News Credits:
    Sad to see this one finished, but know it will be a tremendous weight off your shoulders.
    Anxiously await the final details & paintjob - can't believe how great he looks now...

11. closetrat

News Credits:
    Just a thought: with the job you did on his hands, I'd figure you could craft this...

How about adding a foldable triangle panel to his wings?
    This way, in bot mode, they'd stick up as high (& correctly shaped) as they should... and in alt mode, they'd all but disappear...

Mind you, I don't have this figure, so I'm not sure whether this is even possible, but thought I'd throw it out there all the same...

This would make his back look all the more better - especially if you puttied his wings to make the backsides solid & added light details to carry the idea...

Tried making a pic, but only have MSpaint at work; but hopefully, it'll serve at least to get the idea out there...

(the rectangular part represents a folding arm, like the ones that shape the wings for bot mode, maybe this could be added using the spring-loaded pins from a watch strap...?)

Attached Files:

12. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

Holy triple posts, Batman!
    iDark: This is looking very nice.

13. iDarkDesign

News Credits:
    I get the general idea. Looks pretty good considering you used MS paint.. :s

I was looking into putting the wing to solid. Or covering it with a thin layer of styrene. BUT It just doesn't look right. It would on a G1 custom but not on a movie bot. The movie bots are so distinctly made out of moving parts that you can almost look through the robot at certain parts. It's the look I tried to achieve for the arms.

I have used (among LOTS of others) these two reference pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only then some really high resolution ones.

So I see that the wings are bigger in the animation model. And I do think I could pull off your idea but I'm not sure if it would look right. Because if I did that I should almost have to cut the shoulder-wings off too. And then the thing just doesn't transform anymore. I will look into it though. Thanks for the input and the sketch. It's very welcome!

iDD

Attached Files:

14. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The details you did on the thrusters looks awesome. Must have been a bit tedious.

15. closetrat

News Credits:
    Maybe they could be another part that's an addition... kinda like the thrusters & arms...

16. iDarkDesign

News Credits:
    I actually copied the hinge the original wings have. It works and it looks great. Thanks! I'm not sure yet if I will implement the wing in the transformation or that I will just add a pair in robot mode which need to be removed for transformation. Either way it's a new challenge. And I like a good challenge :) 

*edit
    Here are the pics of the first assembly and some comparisons :) 

[​IMG]
    I used some paper to see how it would look.

[​IMG]
    First wing on one hinge. I need to connect the wing to the original wing with the same hinge without it showing on the outside. If that works I will keep it. If not; I will go for a removable version.

[​IMG]
    Compared to the animation model

[​IMG]
    Overlay :D  Very happy about this!

iDD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  17. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    It'd be awesome, if you were able to implement it so it transformed :D 

18. closetrat

News Credits:
    Wow... you jumped on that idea quick - looks like I managed to squeeze a splinter into your mind afterall (awesome!)...

Love how this looks on the figure & hope you can still make it transform - to keep with your rules; plus, I have one more suggestion (but this is probably the last one I'll add...).

To make the back wings sell better as the wings & not have the tailfins over-power them, I've always thought it looks better to rotate the clavicle-wings down at an angle, so they follow the contours of the frame (check out Crefigz repaint) -- granted, this would put them at a non-movie-accurate configuration, but it would help the back wings be more pronounced...

Just an idea, but I'll let you know if anything else comes to mind...

19. iDarkDesign

News Credits:
    I used to transform him that way. I would fold the tail fins underneath the chestpart. It works really well and I think it was designed that way. But the animators wanted the wings to stick out or something. So since the movie was out the wings stick out. To be totally accurate the wings should be angled up and forward. But from Starscream's perspective this would block just about half of his sight! He would only be able to see straight forward and not notice what would happen to the side of him.

I'm going to cut the tail fins a little more to replicate the straight lines used in the actual F22 Raptor (google it! it's awesome!) Maybe even scale the whole fin down just a couple of millimeters to achieve a better looking bot-mode.

iDD

20. closetrat

News Credits:
    Yeah, I did see that last night, but as it was roughly 3am, didn't know if I was thinking clearly...

Did see that you'd marked off the top tab & feel the tailfins could be trimmed down a good bit to look better.