Heavy/Scratch: Movie Starscream WIP

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by iDarkDesign, Jan 30, 2009.

1. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    So with the two recent Neoshifter arm upgrades (By Crefigz and Limewire) and my Xbox RROD, my buddy OptimusPrimal13 pushed me back into customizing a TF again. I picked up a Neoshifter from the local toyshop and I started assembling my Starscream arms. When I had the arms on it just didn't seem right. He was still missing a lot. So I decided that I had to start my first scratchbuilding with enhancing the arms and improving the figure.

You can view my WIP pics here

First I added a balljoint to his neck. I had some leftover gundam bits (actually a lot of leftover gundam bits) from which I salvaged one. Drilled a hole into the body, dremeld a nice bit out of the head and presto!
    I sunk the balljoint into the body and I nicely sanded and evened Starscreams neck.

I decided that just using the Neoshifter hands wasn't good enough. The hands look all wrong. I will have to bulk up the upperarms later on.

Next I whipped him up a small gatling. This was made by reconstructing a small piece of the neoshifter, some styrene and aluminum tubes. I'm refining the body with some more styrene and putty. The gatling can be easily removed or attached to either arm. It uses that lego-technic peg)

When I read Reign of Starscream, he uses this wolverine type claw. Actually the same claw/knife can be found on Brawl/ Devastator. So my Starscream should have one too. Very basic shape and I used another piece of the neoshifter.

My shot at giving Starscream some proper movie accurate hands. Not finished yet but the basic idea is that I cannibalized a doc Oc figure and am constructing the hand from bases up. 3 fingers and two thumbs on each hand! This way his fingers can move/grab/point/whatever.

You can see the weapons fit perfectly but the arms are in dire need of some bulk! I'm also planning on giving him the 'jetpack' Jet exhausts he carries around on his back in the movie/ comics.

Hope you like! There are more WIP pics on my picasaweb album. Critics and comments are more than welcome!

*EDIT* I added new pics. the arms are coming along very well and I started work on the exhausts for the jetpack. The connection to the figure is now somewhat crude but I will refine this. What do you think of the figure so far?

iDD

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  2. rikkuluverx2

rikkuluverx2 scout

News Credits:
    looks good.

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
  4. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

very nice mods, the neo-shifter arms look really good I don't imagine you'll need to do much more before they look just right.

edit: the RROD, way harsh man, had it happen with the xbox here recently, there are some mad video tutorials out there for fixing it and we had a go at fixing it, but no luck. seems a common problem.

5. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    Looking good so far :thumb 

I too loved the Neo Shifter arm mod so much that I did it to my Movie TCracker....that I went out and bought, just so I could do it.

6. bongzoe

bongzoe Banned

really cool idea cant wait for the finished product. uh will it still transform?

7. OptimusPrimal13

OptimusPrimal13 Dutch Radicon

Looks good, Bro!:rock 

8. ThinkTank Customs

ThinkTank Customs TFW2005-Citizen

News Credits:
    good work, awaiting for the final product :) 

but one thing: my name is LimeWire - only the Toy i made, wa snamed NightScream ;) 

9. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This looks awesome - but I'm worried too, what will the ALT mode look like w/ all the mods?

10. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Don't worry. The alt-mode won't suffer a bit (not any more than it does already) The arms can be disconnected at the elbows and the jetpack will be able to come off all together. I don't mind a little partsforming. Though if the choice has to be made I won't mind sacrificing the alt mode completely. I never display them in alt-mode anyway :) 

iDD

11. Vincymon

Vincymon Well-Known Member

That is very impressive ! I'm really digging this man. The pics you sent of the arm parts, make this thread especially fun, it 's almost like we can see you building it.
    Keep us posted man. With the smaller 'neoshifter" arms this thing may even be better than the 2009 deluxe class starscream. !

The new deluxe class starscream appears to have very stubby legs, but this looks like it won't be a problem for you, since you're using the 2007 release.

12. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    That's the coolest about Radicons. Seeing customs come together. I like the WIP pics more than the finished galleries. I love to see how my fellow Radicons come up with connections and use everyday objects as accesoiries. I get a lot of inspiration from all of you! I will try to upload some new and better pics tonight. I will have made progress with the hands and forarms by then.

iDD

13. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For arm bulk, may I suggest small pieces of cut-to-fit styrene as arm panels (this will allow you to control their shape easily, as you can cut & file them to suit your tastes...).

You could also try "odd" materials like painted & varnished cardboard (there was this one Bumblebee I'm sure we all remember...) or a milk jug/carton, whatever...

You'll probably need something like rubber cement or an apoxie to make it bond to the arms, but then it should be a cakewalk...

14. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Updated pics & write-up!

iDD

15. Terrorcon_King

Terrorcon_King Has Gone Transmetal

News Credits:
    Now thats a heck of a mod!
    i totally like what you have done!
    its really looking awsome!
    i especally like the thrusters on his back! :D 
    i want me a pair of those arms!

16. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    wow!!...you're really tricking those arms out!!...the hands look friggin saweet!!

That jet pack is pretty snazzy too :thumb 

17. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    DAMN! Why could Hasbro give him hands like these? He looks great!

18. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dude! I know! i was looking at these and looking at the ones I got, then at the Doc Oc I have in the fodder box, then back again. I might crack!

Graet Job on these so far iDD, Hell of a bar you are setting for movie seekers.

19. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    wow, thanks for the feedback guys! To get such kind words from all the custom-kings is very encouraging.

iDD

20. OptimusPrimal13

OptimusPrimal13 Dutch Radicon

OMG. You're freaking me out. :jawdropper:  :drool:  :bowdown: