Movie Stars - Article for TFsource

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    One look at our Source Interviews with the knowledgeable and perceptive collectors we’ve had the pleasure of talking to, and you’ll be left in no doubt as to the impact on the collector’s market of Michael Bay’s live action Transformers features. A host of new fans have been added to the community, the waning interest of some long-time collectors may also have been re-ignited (certainly my own in 2007 to some degree). With more movies on the way, it seems as good a time as any to pay tribute to a small portion of the best figures to come out of the Movie-verse line of Transformers.

Warning, opinions included! ;) 

Movie Stars | Source Blog <- CLICK TO READ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the best
    Maz

2. hoosierdaddy04

hoosierdaddy04 The Lord of Diecast

Nice article Maz, they are some of the best modern transformers to date, side for MP's, that is. However, I noticed you missed one of my favorites, Skids. Terrible character in the movie great HA toy.

3. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Great article. I love the Human Alliance line from the Bayverse toys (save for the twins; I hated their characters so much I just plain refuse to get them on principle alone). They look great with Leader Optimus Prime, Sentinel Prime, Ironhide, and Starscream (I'll have to pick up Brawl and some sort of Megatron sooner or later).

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that's basically my movie collection in a nutshell (also leader jetfire for prime) ha barricade and leader brawl are on the someday list

5. Timesynch

Timesynch Go For Broke! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, forgot about Jetfire. I have him but he's still MISB along with DOTM Buster Prime. Not sure if I want to open them (but I probably will once Fans Want It releases their FWI-03 Jetfire parts XD).

I agree with the OP that the HA (and Leaders) are damn near MP quality. All that's really missing are the polish and finished details (MP-M01 Starscream comes awfully close, as does Buster Prime and the upcoming APS-01 Striker Optimus). I'd be hard pressed to sell them. The Scouts, Deluxes, and Voyagers and Cyberverse, probably, some day, but the HAs and Leaders are stand out representations of the characters.

6. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I think I must have been influenced by his character in the movies, which I didn't really like at all. I wasn't a fan of the goofy head sculpt either. The proportions and vehicle mode always looked good though, I'm sure I would have enjoyed the toy itself :) 

All the best
    Maz

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Very nice article Maz. It's good to read about a different side of your collection from time to time.

The Human Alliance line is pure win for me personally.

8. wildfly

wildfly Right notes. Wrong order.

News Credits:
    The Twins are such easy targets, there's almost no fun in hating on them.
    The Deluxes were pretty lacking toys, imo.

Human Alliance iterations..... turned out pretty well i thought.

9. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

i genuinely like the ICTs.

sure one of them won't stand up, and they look ridiculous, but they're easily up there with ejector amongst my favorite movieverse toys.

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I really enjoyed this article, being a fan of the Human Alliance toys. :thumb 

11. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Cheers mate, although there really aren't that many different sides to my collection these days :lol  Just Diaclone (Joustra, Finnish or otherwise), the 4 Human Alliance toys you saw and Binaltech. The other tiny bits and pieces (JRX, Six speed Minicon, Mex Prowl & Smokescreen) you can see gathered up in other bit-part articles like "Forgotten Corners".

I expected a lot from the DOTM Human Alliance Soundwave, but was quite disappointed even when I saw it in person, so I never bothered adding that to the four you see above. It's the only other one I would have considered.

However, it wouldn;t have mattered to me how much of a wreck a Human Alliance Dino would have been, that would have been bought on pure principle. I am guessing such a release is completely out of the question.

I had the pleasure of meeting Mercedes Benz's merchandising head at a car event in Austria last year and she was really excited by the DOTM Mercedes-based toys that they were releasing, but her constraints were so tight that she could not reveal prototype pictures or information before release, such were the car company's strict feelings on the matter. She even got to be on set for DOTM once or twice. I should think with the kind of exclusive merchandising/licensing deals that Ferrari have in place with video games and scale model companies, Dino is due to never be represented properly.

All the best
    Maz

12. Superquad7

News Credits:
    I've yet to purchase a HA Soundwave, but still would like to do so at some point.

The extra bit of Mercedes trivia is such a great nugget of info. It's such a shame that it wasn't featured more prominently on the toy shelves. I can't even get started on Dino . . . . *sigh*

13. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Yeah, the lady from Mercedes was a lovely person with great enthusiasm not only for the Transformers stuff but also the tie-up Mercedes had with Sony PlayStation's Gran Turismo 5 competition, the reason we were all there, what an awesome job she had. Initially she agreed to let me do a short interview with her which I would have submitted to TFW2005 news, but I think she discussed it with her superiors that evening and they preferred her not to say anything about the upcoming toys (it was July 2011).

She just was able to tell me that Mercedes were fine with Soundwave being evil because he never directly killed anybody, that appeared to be their only condition for the use of the SLS AMG. She seemed quite proud actually that Mercedes were given a famous and prominent character in Transformers mythos/DOTM as Soundwave.

God I wish she would have allowed me to do that interview :(  However, now that the toys are on shelves, maybe I can chase her up on that again...

All the best
    Maz

14. Superquad7

News Credits:
    That would be really cool :) 

Also, since you and I are fans of Alts/BTs as well as HA, what are some of your thoughts on the comparisons/contrasts of the line? What would you have liked to have seen in either line?

15. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Hmm, actually maybe not, just dug through my emails and found this...

"I very appreciate it and it gives me even more motivation for my work when
    I see your dedication to e.g. TF ... and the more sorry I am that it won´t
    be possible to provide you with prototype picture after market launch
    neither ... we just do not have the admission to do so. Even more because
    contractual partner is not me but our affiliated company who handles the
    licencing for us."

It won't stop me asking :) 

Apart from one photograph of the Bumblebee next to my BT Smokescreen in vehicle mode, I've never carried out any sort of comparison. I've always kept the two sets of toys completely separate because in my mind they aren't related.

My passion for Binaltech comes purely from G1 nostalgia and a love of motor sport and performance cars etc, my love of the Human Alliance toys comes from the movies sparking my imagination, and the accuracy and complexity of the beautifully-represented toys. I see that they are both based on sports cars and both of a mini-Masterpiece level of quality, but that's the only common thread to me. They're from different universes, so I tend not to mix the two :) 

Having said that, I love the bulky and highly robotic look of both lines, I was never able to fully get on board with the more humanoid proportions and limbs of toys like Car Robots Prowl and Sideburn, lovely as those toys (and base vehicles)were. May also be why I don't want to buy an HA Soundwave.

:lol  the more I think about it, your idea of comparing BT and HA sounds more and more obvious, they're both 1:24 scale so large enough to eclipse the simplicity of a deluxe or G1 car, but small enough not to be a massive standalone figure and still fit beautifully into a 'set'. It's very easy to see why these HA toys appealed to me having been such a massive BT freak.

All the best
    Maz

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. Superquad7

News Credits:
    :ev:  Do eet! :) 

Yeah, this is why I asked you, and especially since many of us who are into both lines compare/contrast them and even integrate them together. Human Alliance was the reason I bought a leader Ironhide figure from DotM as well, since it scales decently well with the HA figures.

While Alts/BTs are strictly 1:24, HA does use a bit of leeway, ringing up at around the 1:25 scale. I have a 1:25 Concept Camaro model kit and its wheelbase is nearly identical to Bumblebee.

My interest in comparing/contrasting the lines is they share enough similarities to do so, but they're different than many collectors make them out to be. I really think that many who were so hardcore into Alternators/Binal Tech were so starved for variety that the HA filled that void at least to some degree. Also, one of the things I find very interesting with the evolution of toy technology in just a few short years is that the HA figures are a fraction smaller in alt mode than the Alt/BTs, but they're able to transform and expand in much larger robots!

One of the things I like about both lines that you touched on is that they're all cool cars, and it taps into that car fan in me as well. I think that's another reason that I'm inclined to compare/contrast as well as think of ways to integrate them. The integration also taps into a part of my imagination that forces me to make sense of such integration. I end up having to create different personas for them (HA Sideswipe ain't "Side Swipe", yo! HA Bumblebee isn't "Bumblebee", regardless if we didn't get one from the Alt/BT line [and don't get me started on Alternity Bumble!]!).

I also know of some collectors who use the HA line as a sort of "movie Masterpiece" filler, if you will. Such a display would find a collector using the HA line along with some of the leader figures and such as well (like RotF Optimius Prime).

As for Car Robots/Robots in Disguise, you need to be converted! :D 

17. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    This is absolutely quoted for truth. The HA toys immediately stood out as head and shoulders above everything else in that range or in recent years for me. They were beyond voyager toys and I actually preferred them to some of the leader figures I had. Certainly any of the leader Animated, and the leader toys from Movie 1.

I loved that line, genuinely. I still have my JRX giftset and I always lusted after a Super Fire Convoy, RiD Scourge and CR God Magnus. I even bought a gaggle of Spychangers at the time.

I just prefer the more mecha-feel of the HA/Alt/BT aesthetic than the humanoid Car brothers :) 

All the best
    Maz

18. Dormamu

Dormamu I am Broot.

News Credits:
    I just think of the trouble that Superquad7 and I had to go through to get HA Mudflap, or that I had to get an HA Soundwave from Ebay in order to complete my HA collection. The series is really in effect, a love letter to 'M.A.S.K.' or 'StarCom' in how the robots in effect become playsets for the human figures. Particularly in the ways that they included some dynamic feature for the human to interact, whether it was Bumblebee's back cannon perch, Frenzy's chest sniper position on Barricade, or Roadbuster's shoulder guns.

There were a lot of characters that should have been included as part of the line, I think there was a missed opportunity. If there had been more budget available to the HA line, we would have seen more vehicles. GM was giving them full range to use the vehicles that were part of their lineup. That gives them Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, and Daimler/Mercedes. But that's because they were stuck by the amount of money that it takes to request licensing from a car manufacturer. Granted, there were some gimmes, like the Blackbird, which is licensed under Lockheed. I think the idea of a Transformer being something realistic is what the movie achieved. Real world vehicles that could interact with humans.

Alternators was a lot like that as well, with even more accuracy. And they had Ford, Subaru, Jeep, Honda, Acura, Mazda, Dodge, and Toyota/Scion all on board. That's huge, and a lot of vehicles that could have been created as well. All they were missing was Volkswagen. I had wished that when Alternators were being released we would have Grumman, or even NASA to sponsor official vehicles. An Alternators Astrotrain? That would have been genius.