Minor/Repaint: Movie Rescue Ratchet with G1-styled head

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by KYQ, Aug 24, 2007.

1. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Heya all, I'm back with another attempt at a small custom! I got Rescue Ratchet some weeks ago, and I adore the deco of the robot body and vehicle mode, but really disliked how the Movie head looked in G1 colours.

So I decided to take matters into my own hands, and after many hours of sanding to make the head look more 'Ratchet-like' (not to mention the joints for the head being totally different and all) and struggling with limited paint resources, here's the result!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With hands:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tech specs:

[​IMG]

2. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The head looks great but the hands sortof throw everything about it off. As is he still doesn't seem very ratchet-ey as he's a hulkingly monsterous bot (in a cool way). I debated between getting movie and G1 painted Racthet for a while and I eventually decided on Movie colors because the design just doesn't mesh well with his G1 persona. Plus if they ever make Classics Ratchet he'll be completely unique in my line up.

Though regardless, nice kitbash! Any thoughts of doing the 'reverse roofrack wings' mod as well?

3. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The head looks great but the hands sortof throw everything about it off. As is he still doesn't seem very ratchet-ey as he's a hulkingly monsterous bot (in a cool way). I debated between getting movie and G1 painted Racthet for a while and I eventually decided on Movie colors because the design just doesn't mesh well with his G1 persona. Plus if they ever make Classics Ratchet he'll be completely unique in my line up.

Though regardless, nice kitbash! Any thoughts of doing the 'reverse roofrack wings' mod as well?

4. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Yeah I did realise that the movie body makes him look like he's been on steroids and all :D . But then I thought since the BT/Alt Wheeljack looked more buff too, I could accept a more 'buff' Ratchet as well.

The claw hands though, yeah, I wish I could change, but that's a bit beyond my ability for now. Maybe soon...

Not sure about this 'roofrack wings' mod though? I've never heard of it?

5. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Yeah I did realise that the movie body makes him look like he's been on steroids and all :D . But then I thought since the BT/Alt Wheeljack looked more buff too, I could accept a more 'buff' Ratchet as well.

The claw hands though, yeah, I wish I could change, but that's a bit beyond my ability for now. Maybe soon...

Not sure about this 'roofrack wings' mod though? I've never heard of it?

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    that looks great! I didn't think it would.

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    that looks great! I didn't think it would.

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks wickedly awesome. Where did you get the head from?

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks wickedly awesome. Where did you get the head from?

10. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Nice! I was expecting a decapitated Rachet, but was pleasantly surprised.

11. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Nice! I was expecting a decapitated Rachet, but was pleasantly surprised.

12. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Thanks for the comments :D ! I basically beheaded my extra Binaltech Prowl (it was kinda messed up already due to a botched up attempt to glue his mirrors back on), and sanded the crap out of it.

Don't worry folks, my real BT Prowl is still unharmed :D .

13. KYQ

KYQ The MSG Man

Thanks for the comments :D ! I basically beheaded my extra Binaltech Prowl (it was kinda messed up already due to a botched up attempt to glue his mirrors back on), and sanded the crap out of it.

Don't worry folks, my real BT Prowl is still unharmed :D .

14. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    wow, that's cooler than I thought it would look! Nice work.

15. fastballspecial

fastballspecial SAY SOMETHIN'!

News Credits:
    wow, that's cooler than I thought it would look! Nice work.

16. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

He does look nice next to Wheeljack...

Anyway, out of the box his Roofrack can attach to his back to make this faux wing like set up. There's a simple mod where you just carve out a nich in the same hole that's provided, just on the other side, so his roofrack can rest the other way with the lights handing over his wheels and shoulders. It's a simple little trick that can be done in five minutes with a decently sharp knife, but I think it gives him a much better look then the standard back facing wings or forearm grabber looks he normally has.

Though I can't provide pics, the hole in question can be found on the inside of the piece that flips over to reveal his head. Kinda hard to miss, should already be in the instructions.

17. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

He does look nice next to Wheeljack...

Anyway, out of the box his Roofrack can attach to his back to make this faux wing like set up. There's a simple mod where you just carve out a nich in the same hole that's provided, just on the other side, so his roofrack can rest the other way with the lights handing over his wheels and shoulders. It's a simple little trick that can be done in five minutes with a decently sharp knife, but I think it gives him a much better look then the standard back facing wings or forearm grabber looks he normally has.

Though I can't provide pics, the hole in question can be found on the inside of the piece that flips over to reveal his head. Kinda hard to miss, should already be in the instructions.

18. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is GREAT! I wanna try! If I can figure out the hands, and find a prowl head, it's on!

19. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That is GREAT! I wanna try! If I can figure out the hands, and find a prowl head, it's on!

20. icanfly

icanfly Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I was thinking of getting this to do a similar mod. My movie ratchet has the same head on it but was gonna paint it the yellow/green to match the body, sort of a meld between G1 & 2007 ratchet. But that head might now end up on this body, & I can turn other ratchet into First-Aid perhaps. Any other ideas??

JL