Movie Real Gear - Longview

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by My03Tundra, Jan 21, 2007.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I love beating everyone to the punch, and getting something new. Normally I'm the last one to get anything.

Alright, enough gloating, time to share. First of all let me thank eBay seller SPX_TOYS. Somehow he has connections to the test shots for the figures. Sure, you'll be paying a price for them, but I think in some situations the price is worth it. Longview is one of those situations.

Longview's alternate mode is binoculars. Not any simple pair of binoculars, but one of the high-end digital image enhancement models with a seperate flip up digital viewfinder. Yes, that is right. The piece that forms the robot mode chest flips up and has what looks like a small screen (not painted on the test shot version) along with small directional buttons. Very nice detail.

From a sleek and futuristic set of binoculars comes one short and strong robot. Longview's robot mode is really cool and he has broad shoulders and "thick" arms. His head has a single visor and reminds me a bit of Cybertron Red Alert. He has a "traditional" face meaning an identifiable nose and mouth. Thank goodness that not all of the "movie" figures' faces look like the business end of a blender. The only thing that mars an otherwise perfect robot mode is lateral articulation or outward movemnt. His shoulders are on ball joints, but his arms can only move in a limited manner. His elbow articulation allows for up and down movement. He has hands, but they are solid fists. He can't hold any weapons. His feet though have a broad base and allow him to hold quite a few cool poses.

Initially I had reservations with the figure because of his alternate mode. Come on, binoculars? But then again, we've seen cassette players, microscopes, and everything else now. I have Longview a solid A and I can't wait to get the other Real Gear figures!

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Nice. That line looks pretty fun.

3. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Oh, does it. I can't wait for the cellphone, game system, camera and a few others. If they are all of the quality and detail of Longview, I'll get them! It doesn't hurt they'll be at the basic price level. I plan on getting each one of the $7 figures, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Blackout, Barricade and Starscream. The toys look, in my opinion, a LOT better then the CGI models.

4. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Any chance we could get some pics of him with other TFs? A pic with Classics Rodimus (size comparison) would be pretty cool.

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    sweet. you should take pictures showing off his poseability.

6. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Great to hear that the toy is really cool. :thumb 

Ditto on wanting to see some comparison pics and some pics showing off his poseability.

7. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Okay, give me some time (a couple of days) and I'll get some!

8. LoserBroadside

LoserBroadside Your ship just came in.

Does Longview's binocular mode actually work like a pair of binoculars? Like Preceptor? Because that would make him awesomer.

-LB

9. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Alright, here are some images of Longview. Hope y'all enjoy!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    You can look through Longview, but he doesn't magnify anything. He is more of a "role-play" kind of toy that happens to transform.

11. MagiRanger

MagiRanger Banned

Ebay:
    Thanks man, you rock.

I'm impressed with the bot.

12. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

wow, I knew he was a basic, but damn, he's tiny!

13. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Yes, he is! I could see his current size being his actual size if he and the other Real Gear guys are in the movie. I think it'd kick major butt to see small Transformers running about, small enough to fit into a humans hand. Small robots, or Transformers of ALL sizes makes since. Smaller guys can get into more places, like the rumored movie scene where Frenzy (really Barricade's engine) infiltrates various places.

To me, robotic symbiotic relationships make since. The smaller robots like the Real Gear guys can get into smaller areas on the bigger guys and do damage in hard to reach places. They could also do the opposite and work like macro-robots and repair areas where Ratchet can't get into. I doubt the first movie will play into such mechanics in detail.

From the toys themselves, without delving into the leaked script (which I refuse to read, don't want to ruin the movie) we've seen Blackout carrying around Scorponok, and Barricade with Frenzy. I'm wondering if any of the Autobots might have similar counterparts, but unless it is in toy form, I doubt it will be in the movie.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i want him now :( 

15. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

cool. i have a testshot of my own on the way

16. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

got him today. really coll and packed with articulation. in theory you could fill him with greebly stiff so it would be realistic if you dissasembled him. it seems most people post pics with the alt mode upside down since the way his sticker(yes sticker) with crumplezone is mounted it looks like it flips down not up. a+

17. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

Very impressive bot. Not big on the yellow, but for this bot it works. And like you said it's nice to get movie toys that don't look like GWAR costumes. My Real Gear gang are so becoming honorary Classics on my shelf.

18. lastmaximal

lastmaximal Hellspark

News Credits:
    REAL GEAR LONGVIEW: the Cybertron Philippines review

We had the good fortune to get our hands on a test shot copy of Real Gear TF Longview. Some initial thoughts here. Feel free to ask questions or for specific pics! I'd provide a closeup of the awesome headsculpt if I could only figure out how to focus the camera better... but everything else oughta be doable. :thumb sup

ALTERNATE MODE
    Longview takes the form of a very compact pair of binoculars. The edges and underside are mostly black; the top center panel is yellow, as are the undersides of the viewscopes. The name/brand LONGVIEW is printed on top of the binoculars, with an Autobot symbol in the center of the top panel's front half. Metallic slate blue interior frames surround the viewscopes -- which, interestingly enough for a fairly complex figure of this small size, work. The viewing holes line up front the rear of the binoculars to the front, although whether they actually magnify anything is anyone's guess [bottom line, you can see through the channel created].

TRANSFORMATION
    simple but interesting, and satisfying. The viewscope trunks become the lower legs. The thighs have holes in them that line up with the viewing channel when all folded up. The forward viewing panels becone shoulder panels, while the sides of the binoculars become forearms with fold-out fists. The top panel flips around on an arm that also brings out the robot head.

ROBOT MODE
    Poseability is pretty good, although this test shot copy seems to have some loose joints. Has a neck swivel but no waist, ball joint shoulders and hinge elbows. No wrist swivels, just inward folding joints. Universal hips [loose on my copy], hinge knees that can fold both right and wrong ways. Toes can point or bend forward to flat.

OVERALL
    This is a worthwhile figure that increases my anticipation for all things Real Gear. Smaller than I expected [altmode], but taller than I expected [robot mode]. Should be a definite lock, if the final release has tighter hip joints.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To the feedback forum you go

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Isn't there a thread for that toy already?