Minor/Repaint: Movie Ratchet

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by mampy, May 11, 2008.

1. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Here is my latest custom, Ratchet!

For this custom, I still wanted to go for movie accuracy, while taking more artistic liberties with some details that I think look good even if they aren't exactly in ratchet's movie CG scans (such as the chrome rims). I now have a complete line of movie-accurate repainted autobots! I will probably post group pics soon.

Credit must go to frenzy_rumble, Cheebs, JinSaotome, and one other Radicon (whose name I can't remember right now). This Ratchet repaint is heavily inspired by their work.

As usual, metallic parts were primed with gray automotive primer and basecoated with black automotive paint. Drybrushing and all other details were added using Tamiya Acrylics.

While taking pics, I noticed that there are still so many minute details on his alt mode that I neglected to paint. I will probably paint these in sometime soon.

Without further ado, here are the pictures. I only posted two in order to minimize this post's pic heaviness:

Robot mode:
    [att]6532[/att]

Alt mode:
    [att]6539[/att]

Check out my attachments below for other pictures, or visit my flickr page to see more pics of this and my other customs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22265209@N03/

Thanks for looking! I hope you like it!

Attached Files:

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    Awesome work here. You got the dry brushing down perfect. Looks very robotic and very detailed.

Ratchet was is my favorite character from the movie, and you've captured his personality great with your paint apps.

3. mampy

News Credits:
    Coming from you, man, that is a huge compliment. Thanks!

I personally didn't care much for Ratchet when I watched the movie, but I really liked this mold for all the little details they put into it.

4. dyingwill3rd

dyingwill3rd Life is a fabled mystery

Sweet, i did the same thing for my Desert Medic Ratchet's weapon

5. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    it looks awesome! You got the robot mode downright perfect with the 'liberties'. You need to fix him up a proper alt-mode paintjob though. Oh and get the reprolabels kit. This will upgrade the alt-mode a lot in accuracy.

lastly, you should try to hide the screwholes in Ratchet's shoulders. Sculpt in some A-poxy and mix up some paint!

iDD

6. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks!

I really do want to get him reprolabels, but I do not have access to them as of now (i don't have paypal to shop online).

I also want to cover up the screw holes, but again, I suffer from the inavailability of suitable hobby sculpting materials (sculpey, apoxie sculpt, etc.) in my country. The only epoxy I am sure I can find is the one used for repairing leaking pipes, and I don't wanna touch my TFs with that.

7. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thats a sexy Ratchet, his face is especially nice. Great job here Mampy.

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Nice, clean brush work.. Good one.

9. mampy

News Credits:
    Thanks! I think that the detail on the face sculpt is pretty good but doesn't show with the unpainted yellow/green plastic. The eye slits are also a little to small, or the left eye assembly just doesn't align properly on my figure. It kinda looks one-eyed in the pictures.

10. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah I noticed that eye in the third picture, oh well, not your fault.