Digibash: Movie Ratchet Redux

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by timshinn73, Dec 2, 2006.

1. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    First off, I like the new Ratchet design. He seems to be pretty chunky, something the earlier Autobot designs lacked. The colors don't bother me. The face is a little on the generic, Guyver side for my tastes, but overall, I like it.

That said, I thought I'd do a quick revise.

[​IMG]

Nothing huge. Just adjusted some of the wonky backwards arm thing and simplified some of the upper torso kiddle. Also wanted to try a more G1 head in order to make him a tad more recognizable as the good ol' Ratchet most of us remember. Plus, I included a hybrid between my head design and the movie take for a "battle mode".

Thanks for taking a look.

2. MattMoylan

MattMoylan Well-Known Member

Face looks much better than the original. I'm not digging the fugly/creepy faces most of the movie TF's have. It's gunna make it tougher for people to see them as characters and not just machines.

3. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I actually like that face a lot better. We need more solid panels on these guys. I don't like the really "kibbled" designs.

4. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Well, looks good. but I still like the original design.
    Great work Tim.

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Now that's how Ratchet should look!

As I said in the other thread, Its not the bodies I mind so much but the heads just bother the hell out of me.

6. timshinn73

Ebay:
    I had to give my Ratchet pic the whitewash. Just a little G1 love goes a long way.

[​IMG]

7. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

THat is a lot better while keeping in the same style. It's different enough. The movie one is a little too different. To me, color schemes and faces are waht make the character recognizeable.

8. timshinn73

Ebay:
    Seems like G1 styled color schemes and heads would have made a lot of people very happy with the updated designs.

9. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    The face actually looks good, but it has a tad to many lines. Maybe simplify it a bit more, or use this guy's style: http://alienwurkz.deviantart.com/. The battlemask rules, though.:) 

And I can't decide which one looks better: The yellow or the white verson...The white looks a lot more serious and movie-fit, but it's quite boring. The yellow is a bit odd, but it actually gives him a bit of personality and life. Then again, I never felt anything for Ratchet in G1, so that probably also has something to do with it.

10. Wiggyof09

Wiggyof09 Well-Known Member

I think thati s why more people accept prime and BB and even Jazz over say Megatron and Ratchet.

11. timshinn73

Ebay:
    One more...

[​IMG]

Just added the Autobot symbols.

12. betetta

betetta guitar face

this is (at least) two times better than the one we're getting, if only those two thing would have changed in most designs (face/head & color scheme) the movie hating faction would have been way smaller

13. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

strange thing, I like Ratchet with the movie colors better, though the white one is a nice nod to the original. Man, would it kill the movie concept artists to ditch the "alien" aspect and revert to human proportions and the traditional faces? Because your refit of the face is just pure coolness, Timshinn.

14. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Much better!

15. Admiral Lilwall

Admiral Lilwall Lilwall Leader

with the new face, and the white, it looks infinitly better, stuff like this only shows that there really is no real reason why they had to step so incredibly far away the source. i mean yeah, change is most certainly needed for a live feature film, and in a big way. but i think everything they've done has been too excessive a change.

good stuff Tim, keep it up I say

16. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Each time you make one of these threads, I'm very impressed, and each time I think, "why can't YOU be the mecha designer of this movie?"

17. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Okay, first off - I LOVE that face MUCH more than the weird-ass, gross bug-looking one they used for the official design. Fantastic work.

However...I prefer the yellow emergency colors over the original Ratchet White & Red. I think it adds just enough "newness" to the ratchet design (aside from, obviously, the comprehensive redesign of the character!) to make him distinctly movie-esque.

...but he NEEDS that head of yours, dude.

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I agree with a couple of the other posters... for some strange reason, I do actually prefer the pukey yellow colour. Bizarre but true.

But yeah... what you've done here really demonstrates that the hater camp isn't as juvenile and rigidly G1 obsessed as the pro-movie camp would like to imply. We dont' all require the designs to be exact dupes of the G1 models. Many of us find this retrofit to be just what the "doctor" ordered. :) 

It also goes to show how completely unnecessary the extremes of the movie designs are. It would have been child's play to make more "traditional" renditions of the characters to this degree. These very minor cosmetic changes have made a world of difference.

While I would still like to see a few solid geometric forms in the robot mode, if this were the actual movie design, I would be much more accepting. It just manages to balance the new and "modern" with the familiar elements, to the right degree.

Nice work... now get to work on the rest of those movie-formers! ;) 

zmog

19. chubbzilla

chubbzilla One shall stand...

better than the original

20. Mr Ray

Mr Ray Well-Known Member

Looks good on paper but will it look good on the big screen =P Probally not i say.