Movie Racing Set Coming to UK in June

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Voiceroy, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    UK slot car manufacturer Scalextric is releasing a Transformers The Movie racing set in June, according to UK site Pocket Lint.

The set will feature 64:1 scale transformable movie versions of Bumblebee and Barricade that will "flip up to reveal the robots and the arms come out and allow you to play Battlemode to knock the other player off the track."

The site adds that "the track will feature a circular roundabout and a crossroads and have an character underlay that features scenes from the movie and the two characters in full robot form."

This set is slated for UK release in early June at a £40 price point, but Scalextric also has "potential plans to do more sets with more characters however only if the film is successful and a follow-up movie is released within a couple years."

Scalextric has a product listing up for the set, but unfortunately no photos or additional information is available currently.

Scalextric has previously released micro sets based on Batman, The Simpsons, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles properties.

2. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh damn, that sounds cool.

3. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Definitely cool. I really hope it gets a US release. The original Tyco TF racing set is still one of my top favorites in all of my TF collection, at least for nostalgia's sake.

I remember the time my brother and I laid down like a 12-foot line of straight track on the back porch with a ramp at the end just to see how far we could launch those little cars. They freakin' flew right over the fence into the neighbor's yard. It was awesome.

Good times... good times.

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sounds great.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Awesome news! I REALLY hope we get a US release for this, I have always wanted the original Tyco set. If we don't get this here, I will definitely attempt to import it.

Frontpaged and credited! :thumb 

6. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Wow, and it's only the tip of the iceberg... we will really be FLOODED with new Transformers next year.

7. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

thats sounds like fun wrapped around lols.

and where can I find info about these Tyco ones of old?

8. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    They still make slot car tracks?

9. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Well, I linked one source in my follow-up reply, but here it is again:

http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0644/

However, that one has a sarcastic slant to it. Funny though.

Here's a more informative source:

http://www.tfu.info/1985/Decepticon/Terc/terc.htm
    http://www.tfu.info/1985/Autobot/TERC/terc.htm

It pops up on ebay periodically too, for between $20-100+ depending on the condition of the set. CLICK HERE for some pics from a recent ebay listing.

10. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    They not only still make them, but it's become popular enough again that there are places in many malls and shops where you can pay a few bucks and race slot cars against other people for cheap plastic prizes.

The one in the mall I used to work at was very popular--on weekends, it was like an hour's wait to race for just a few minutes.

It's also a great hobby to share with your kid... if you're into that sorta thing. Definitely makes one feel more masculine and adult than playing with toy trains, but that's just my small-minded opinion. Although if they made a functional Astrotrain toy train set, I would so buy that and play with it and make little "Choo! Choo!" sound effects as it ran around the track.

On a related note, anyone else recall this piece of TF toy history?

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/news_images/4176_11084_8.jpg
    Also see: http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrains/id55.html

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damnit...I had been looking for one of those.

Take a small break from ebay and miss out on a great set at a great price :( 

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Well, I'd say make me an offer, but I've been debating for years on whether or not I want to sell mine. The original packaging rotted away, but the set itself is still in great condition and still works after 20 years! It's something I'd really like to share with my kid, if my wife and I are ever able to afford one.

Of course, by the time I have a kid to share it with, he/she will probably say, "What the
    @#$%ing @#$% is this lame @#$%, dad? Can't we go outside and ride the lightcycles instead?"

13. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Great another race track set I have to hunt for. :lol 

Sounds really neat indeed. Can't wait to see pics.

14. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Excellent news. I have a set of the Tyco cars loose. (and a set MIP) I wonder if they'll be compatable.

I hope they offer some of the other bots separately. The way I hear it, there's suppose to be a match set between OP and Bonecrusher.

I have three of the Trains sets. I still play with that one from time to time. I hope we get them offered to the US market again.

15. turk128

turk128 Well-Known Member

If these are the same tracks with the power supply inside the tracks themselves, then I don't see it coming to US any time soon. You can smell the lawsuits a mile away.

I'd love for them to make a mini-RC toy out of Transformers, thou.

16. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Scalextrix is making a 1/64 slot race set? I thought they only did 1/32. I'll be damned.

We might not get the sets over here, but we'll most likely get the cars. I'll have to keep an eye out for them, at my hobby shop. They should look pretty cool, cruising around my Tomy track.

17. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If it does indeed come out in June, I can see if I can bag one and bring it over for you to Botcon.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    1/64 would be part of their Microscalextrix line, and the price would bear that up.

Their little sets are pretty sweeta actually, I was given a Batman Begins Micro set a while ago (my past birthday I think?) and its pretty cool. And because its smaller, you get more bits to go around the track to make it look more dynamic without forking out loads.

The big sets are very nice though, and have developed loads in the last few years, lap counters, lane changing, and a digital setup so that more than 2 cars can race at the same time, even though there's only 2 lanes. A friends Dad got one for Christmas and he's been pimping up his Digital set!

19. Driftbot

Driftbot Well-Known Member

oh man i used to have the old one!

i was actually looking for pics of them last week for something in FTGD, but i forget what for.

good find! so nostalgic!
    i hope the new set is equally awesome. i probably wont buy it, but its still cool that kids are finally getting a taste of the coolness we got to play with.
    at this rate, saturday morning cartoons might even get good again!

20. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

Go Go Marketing Blitz!

Seriously, I want to see pics of these things. The fact they actually transform is a nice bonus.