Minor/Repaint: Movie Prowl WIP Update 6/19/2008

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by optimusawesome, Apr 27, 2008.

1. optimusawesome

optimusawesome Well-Known Member

Finally taking some shape. My movie version of prowl.
    Ball joints to work the doors are a beeeeeotch!!!! and the light bar isn't a picnic either. Car mode looks more like a traditional police cruiser instead of a G1 deco. It's a Omaha PD cruiser scheme. Will post more pics including ball joint for doors when I get a chance.

Posted pic of what I did to the doors to not make them parts form.

Attached Files:

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    that jazz head works pretty well, maybe paint the lil gap between your two red paint aps red? That'd really complete the look. nice job, look forward to more pictures.

3. LegoNinja

LegoNinja Well-Known Member

That looks like a movie/classics version of prowl, who is whoefully undrepresented. Nice. I undertand you're ball joint door issue. I'm going to use stikfas parts so the door rotate off a ball joint from his front shoulder assembly that flips over the wheel...I'll make a small step step post when I attemt this...Do you have any then/now pics of this one? I'm rather curious to see how you made the doors attach at the back and let not 'part-form'. :) 

4. optimusawesome

I don't have pics at this point in time. But what it is is a rotateing ball joint attached to the underside of the roof section. I am still working out the kinks with it though. it interfears with the transformation a bit. I think I will have to re-shape the backside of the hips in robot form to get it right.

5. LegoNinja

LegoNinja Well-Known Member

Still looks uber swank :D 

6. optimusawesome

Sorry this took so long to post at least something as to how I did it. but here it is. New pic at top. Ball joints glued to doors balls and post screwed under the "cabin" and there you have it. g1 style doors on a movie jazz.

7. Wheel_Jack

Wheel_Jack pitying fools

Ebay:
    Nice little mod on that optimusawesome. :thumbs2:  Tell me you got more pictures coming up of this bad boy?

8. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Looking good, bro. Anny hope for rocket launchers?

9. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno where you could store them, unless you cut out a lot of the trunk part, and just removed them to peg to his shoulders or something.

10. optimusawesome

Thanks wheel_jack. I will have more pics as I get it more finished. I am still working the LED bar forthe blueberries and cherries. I have a micro switch that ic going to ne built into the roof so that I did not have to cut out the side windows like I have seen others do. I want to keep it as solid as possible. the alt mode will look alot less like prowl I am afraid. I never liked the way his alt mode was painted anyway. I feel it is more important to look like a G1 deco in bot mode. I am posting a pic of the color scheme also. Just try to imagine it on a solstice.

11. solidus

solidus Shivaker Jazz

Great job on that kitbash. Impressive and amazaing ! :)  Is it okay if you could post like a step by step pic or atleast a mini demo on how you did that door thing ? :)  Like what other toy parts can be used for that kitbash ? Any suggestion for a good adhesive ?

12. optimusawesome

Here are the steps I used to do this, Hope they are helpful for those that want to try it.

step 1. Remove doors and cut off mounting pegs.

Step 2. measure ball joints. (I used the balljoints/pivots from the minicon sub' s legs, forgot his name.)

Step 3. Mark hole placement on the underside of the "cabin" than drill the holes. (they have to be tiny holes for tiny screws otherwise they interfere with the windshield)

Step 4. attach balljoint/pivots to the underside of the "cabin"

Step 5. convert to carmode and test the action of the ball joint and pivot point. adjust as needed removing little bits of plastic. at this point test fit the doors as well I has to trim off part of the "hips" with a dremel to accomidate the ball joint.

Step 6. attach the ball joint to the door( I use crazy glue, have not had any breakage issues.) Leave to dry at least 2 hours.

This should be all you need to know. I wish I had taken pics of the process but I was stupid and didn't.