Movie Prime's Alt Mode w/ Bay's Comments

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TriBlurr, Jul 11, 2006.

1. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

News Credits:
    If you are boycotting the movie, are you going to STFU and stop posting your mindless bashings?

2. brawn1228

brawn1228 Well-Known Member

This is Optimus Prime!

3. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Drat, outsmarted by a Lorry, I am disgraced

QFT

4. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    If that's actually it... those smokestacks are going to come up a little short on the toy........

5. bluestreak1701

bluestreak1701 Well-Known Member

could this be motormaster? Thought I heard at one point that he was gonna show up in the movie and have a chase with OP.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

For those still wanting the picture, it's still there if you click "Read More" on the front page article here. Click the thumbnail to enlarge, and then save it fast!

I might have liked a direct adaptation of G1 prime a little better, but I'm fine with this too. It looks tough, and it resembles Laser Optimus, but better. Prime has always had a bit of cowboy in him, so I feel the look is appropriate. This should be awesome just so long as the robot mode looks good.

7. Ravage1976

Ravage1976 Well-Known Member

I dont really mind the look of the truck could it do without the flames? Yes. Would I prefer more red? yep.

Someone mentioned that there wasnt as much of an uproar about Megs not being a gun, but then we have gotten fairly used to Megs changing alt modes and colour schemes while Optimus is nearly always a Truck except his occasional Fire Truck incarnations and even with those red is his primary colour.

I think people would take alot less issue with this model being used if they had kept to a more G1 colour scheme.

Take Bumblebee he may not be a VW Beetle but at least he is yellow. In many ways colour scheme and head design are what we identify with most more so than alt mode.

Take all the various homages we have had in Armada, Energon and Cybertron the alt modes have always been different it was the colour scheme and head desing that made Shockblast, E Rodimus, E Arcee, E Downshift etc.

Bumblebee from what we have seen is still yellow and his head looks similar to his G1 self. People would be alot more forgiving of this model truck being used if he has the appropriate colour scheme and head design.

8. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why o why

9. Acteon

Acteon Overworked

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a touch disappointed (the flames scream "overdesigned" to me), but then sacrifices were always going to be made with this.

I think the main problem here is that Transformers are iconic, much like Superman and Spiderman (previously mentioned in this thread), and if the look is messed with, then the icon becomes confused.

I'll go and see the movie regardless as I want to make my own judgements based on what I see on the screen, not a few snapshots. But if I genuinely don't like it and express my opinions at that point, I don't want to be told I'm a G1 purist or to STFU. Until that time, its all speculation. And I hope to be pleasantly surprised when the lights go down.

10. godsenddeath

News Credits:

That's news to me.

If that is Prime, i've no complaints about the look, although for reason, it gives me some small concerns about how Prime will be portrayed.

11. Darkprime

Darkprime Antigrav Singular Destron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Maybe teh flames will be ditched, but I doubt it. There's still a chance he will very much look like a prime in bot mode.

12. Llama G0d

Llama G0d Six-winged god of llamas

Well, if that design *is* what Prime's going to look like, then... I dunno, obviously the toy colours couldn't have worked, because they're a bit garish. But a muted red-with-silver-stripe look wouldn't have been too bad, I don't think, and closer to the more iconic paint job of a Prime cab (original, Powermaster, Action Master (well, kinda), Hero, Armada, Cybertron...). However, I'm not going to say it won't work, because just look at what they did with the X-Men. Were the film costumes anything like the classic comic costumes? Hell no. Did they work on that big screen? Hell yeah. So let's just wait until we see the entire finished thing in action...

The thing that puzzles me, and nobody else seems to have noticed (although I did only scan-read all eleven pages, it must be said - I'm supposed to be working ;-) ), is: He doesn't have a trailer! Is this significant..?

13. flamepanther

Well said.

I dunno about the trailer. From a movie perspective, I guess it wouldn't be "realistic" to haul something like that around everywhere unless he knows he's going to need it. I'm not sure how a mainstream audience would even react to the trailer popping open to effectively become a playset in the first place, you know? If there is a trailer in the movie, it's going to have to be a bit different from the toy versions.

14. godsenddeath

News Credits:

I guess If they follow the standard movie toy route, there'll probably be a 'with trailer' version and 'not with trailer' version.....(?)

15. Ironhide546

Ironhide546 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this could just be the truck that gets scanned, then he retains his original colors. never know

16. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Uh, everybody's ASSUMING this is it. How the hell do we know this positively for sure?

17. flamepanther

We don't, but if we assume it isn't, then there would be nothing to discuss! Also, Paramount/Dreamworks wouldn't have reason to have the image taken down so quickly.

18. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James The JUICE

Well if that is the actual Prime, I think he does not look too bad (except for the paint job). I probably will be the person who takes my nephew to this movie next year.

19. zzyss

zzyss Well-Known Member

It could just be a red herring. I mean they plant something and then take action to bring it down just to make it seem like it's legit. The people who mentioned the flat-nosed cab at the convention, plus I recall somewhere that Don Murphy saying that Prime would be flat-nosed at one stage.

But having said that, I also can't ignore the resemblance to that pepsi truck posted on the first page... if that will be the toy, then I guess the bot mode will resemble the toy's one.

20. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I sincerely doubt that's the real thing, unless it was unroute to a set and that the spy was a driver who took a pic of it.

But if it IS the real thing, then the only thing I'm complaing about is this: He needs to get rid of the blue flames, just behind the grill, and increase the red a bit more.

This colorscheme could enable a better Prime-look then a red-painted longnose would (I sure as hell wouldn't want an all-red Prime). The placement of the colors could correspond with Prime, and a flamejob could have been the only way to make it look believable.

EDIT: And I still think he's going to look somewhat like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y7zuP787vY&search=transformer