Movie Prices Increase (Especially 3D)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by OmegaScourge, Mar 26, 2010.

1. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Will another $1-3 more stop you from watching it in 3D???

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Matinee FTW

I can't remember the last time i went to a full price show.

3. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've always tried to go to a matinee showing of any movie I want to see. Nighttime prices are just too damn high. As for 3D, I was considering seeing Clash of the Titans in that format, but now I think I'll just go to the 2D version and save the extra money. I doubt I'll miss very much.

4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Their going to price themselves out of business, the last thing you want to do in a poor economy is raise prices. Plus these days all you have to do is wait 3 months and you can buy the DVD for almost the same price.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Samere full price is out of whack! and i live near a smaller town ( Population under 10,000) so the ticket prices aren't quite as high here.

6. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The only movies I've gone to see at night at full price were both live-action TF movies and, even then, only once for each. Otherwise, anything I want to see, I go to the Saturday or Sunday morning matinee, where the tickets are only $5, as of last time I went to a movie. Anything much more expensive than that, unless it's a film I absolutely have to see, I'll wait until the DVD hits the discount bin and just buy it.

7. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The prices are already too high, and I say that not for my willingness to actually pay that much to see a movie but to pay that much to see a movie in poor, practically unsupervised facilites. Seriously, there's always someone doing something to hurt the experience for others. And their attitude of "we will push the bar on price until we see a noticable loss in sales" is a piss poor attitude to have. And if that's their public stance, I'd hate to see what they're plotting behing closed doors.

8. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Matinees aren't that much cheaper. I'm not going to give up my afternoon just to save $2. Ticket prices are already too high. Unless it's a big summer blockbuster, I'll just wait for DVD or On Demand or whatever.

9. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My girlfriend likes going to the night shows, but the way I look at it, I'd rather go see a 3 or 4 PM Matinee then while everyone is piling in for the 6 and 7 PM showing, we head over to the now not so crowed restaurants for a nice meal afterwords. Especially since going to a Matinee, we save enough to buy our drinks with dinner (soda).

The last time I saw a night time show was back when the 07 movie came out. KSA and I went back home to where I grew up and went to the local movie theater. It was full of retro fun, three screens, movie tickets were like $5.50 each and for about another $5 we got a large popcorn AND soda. And no this wasn't a second run theater either... there just aren't that many people where I grew up.

10. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

most times when there's a price raise, so does the matinee price...the old regular will be the new matinee.

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Matinees are all well and good besides two things- it still doesn't help the quality of the facilities and for those of us who work business hours we really don't have a chance on the weekdays. On the weekends I'm not going to base my day on trying to get to the movies early to save a few bucks a ticket anyways.

Business must be very good for them to think they can do this, and I guess I would attribute that to the new revenue 3D is bringing in. Generally when a business is doing bad is when they try to actually make the experience better to bring in more people. Well, they've lost my business for the most part and raising the prices isn't getting it back. They will make their money for now knowing that for at least a little while they can charge the premium price during the summer months and then MAYBE they will cut it back or just stay as they are once sales decline a little.

12. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    I will never see 3D. I only go in the mornings when it's cheap. If they raise those, then I'm done.

13. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    7 dollar coke CHECK
    9 dollar popcorn CHECK
    5 dollar candy CHECK

and thats just for one person.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Has anyone bothered to follow up to see if this actually happened?

I ask because I subscribe to the email list of one of my local theaters. In several years the only thing they have EVER sent out over the list was showtimes for that week, and the occasional notice for one of those special one night only concert event things. But this weekend they actually sent out a letter stating that the WSJ article wasn't true and that they were not raising prices.

I don't know whether it's just that chain trying to get a goodwill edge on their competition by not raising prices with everyone else or whether the article just wasn't true. Just thought it was interesting that people are raining hellfire and brimstone on theater owners over this article that might not even be factual.

15. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I glimpsed a story on cnn to this effect, so I'm guessing the story is at least partially true. Though it doesn't make much sense to me, I can't imagine anyone making the choice of 3D over saving money. That's just me, though.

16. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    and those aren't far off and thats why i have no problem smuggling my own Pop and candy in and sometimes popcorn or chips.

17. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

One time I went to the movies and when the movie started the guy in front of me pulled out a rack of ribs. It was awesome. I sneak in candy and soda all the time, but I'm not bold enough to try something like that.

18. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    awesome! i have never anything of that flavor magnitude either, i have considered smuggling in a burger and fries though.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, we'll see the 3D fad come to a crashing halt soon. I can see many people not willing to pay the extra $$ just for 3D & instead go to the normal 2D one. Of course the studio will never make the connection between less people going & higher ticket prices. They'll just assume people don't like 3D anymore & stop making those.

At my local theater, there is to night or matinee 3D ticket price. They are the same price no matter when you go.

As for concessions, I guess I can live without shoving food into my mouth for 2 hours. I just eat before I go or eat afterwards. For smuggling in food, I don't have a problem except when people bring in food that gives of smells. Someone brought McDonalds fries in one movie & the whole theater smelled like fries. Of course after the movie, I had to stop by McDonalds to get some fries.

20. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    At a showplace cinemas? That is hilarious.

Showplace has always been good with prices. $9.25 for lat showing, $7 matinee.