Movie Prequel Novel Out

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TreKain, Mar 27, 2007.

1. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't know if this is news or not...

Ghosts of Yesterday, the prequel novel to the movie by Alan Dean Foster is out. Picked it up at Barnes & Noble today.

2. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    What connection does this have to the prequel comic? Does it cover the same stuff, completely unrelated stuff, or - indeed - stuff that contradicts the comic?

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Paperback or hardcover? I imagine PB, but one never knows.

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Hard or Paper, Price, Assuming the Comic/Manga Section? Image?

5. Signal Lancer

Signal Lancer Brave Soldier of Justice

News Credits:
    Paperback, $6.99, Sci-Fi section
    Publisher's page

I already picked mine up over the weekend. I recognize references to things that I've been told are in the comic, but since I haven't read the comic yet myself I can't say with certainty.

EDIT: Whoops... Fixed price. That's rather sad since I had the book and web page right in front of me...

6. TreKain

TreKain Made of Sterner Stuff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    $6.99 actually.

And I think its been stated that Hasbro is working with Publishers of both the novel and comics to make sure that not only nothing contradicts, but that it all works together.

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Primus and I just got back from buying ours, we will be frontpaging this shortly.

8. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Readily available at bookstores worldwide? Should I be able to walk into any Barnes and Noble today and pick it up? Thanks! :D 

9. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Deefuzz called borders yesterday and they said they only had 5 to put out today so he had them reserve two for us. When we got there we couldn't find them out on the shelves anywhere. They had ours behind the counter but the others were nowhere to be seen.

5 books for a store like borders seems really really low though. What gives?

10. 5m3rk

5m3rk Member

pre-ordered mine ... should be here today ... as for the comics - the first 2 issues rock ... hope the book/comics don't repeat each other ...

11. grayman

grayman The Alpha and The Omega TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I found my copy of the novel at my local SuperWalMart for $4.84. I recommend that you check there as well. I haven't finished reading it, but am about halfway and it makes reference to the battle depicted in the prequel comics. The novel takes place in 1969, after the prequel comic, but before the movie. So far it is an interesting read. It gives insight into the personalities of the major Transformers players in the movie, since they are all present in the novel. All except for the "ice man" have lines in the novel.

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Did Starscream get any characterization? What about the other Decepticons?

13. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    I want this, but aren't movie novels usually poorly written?

14. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I Want to get it too. Is there any battles??????

15. GMANIFESS

GMANIFESS G1 Manifestations

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  16. Moretawn

Moretawn New Member

How many pages is this?

17. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

Good buy for $6.99.

18. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    5 copies per store is pretty much the usual for a book that isn't a major Author or direct movie tie-in (this book is a delayed tie-in, stores will get a LOT more of the actual novelization). The Barnes and Nobles where I work got 4 (plus 1 I ordered myself). They'll likely refresh with more copies if a) it sells well or b) the TF film gets an endcap or table closer to release.

I picked it up Mon and am 3/4 of the way through. Early oppinions...

It's not gonna win any awards, but if you're a TF fan waiting for the film and have some free time, it's worth the read. There's definately some cluncky writing and a lot of the human characters are rather cardboard but we get are first real taste of the entire TF movie cast as characters, all of them play a big part in the story. Lots of G1 flavor to the cast and such. I think the biggest flaw is the lack of detailed description. The book assumes you know what the TFs all look like, how big they are, what "sparks" are and such and gives very little guidence for anyone who doesn't know all this stuff to picture anything. I followed fine being an uber-nerd but I think it'd be less clear if you weren't already a fan. Book feels a tiny bit like "stripped down" imitation Crichton and doesn't stand up well at all as a "real novel" if you aren't already a TF fan. But I am, so it's not too bad really, and if you are definately buy it and hope the film adaption is a little less "bare bones".

19. Optimal Optimus Prime

Optimal Optimus Prime The Ultimate Prime

Starscream seems more like G1 Megatron and Blackout is more like G1 Starscream. Starscream is in command and has told Blackout that if he tries to usurp him for power, Starscream will kill him.

Good stuff.

20. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    S
    P
    O
    I
    L
    E
    R
    S

I think you're being misled by the fact that Starscream happens to be in command and Blackout attempts to rebel. Other than those roles Starscream was exactly like G1 Starscream and Nothing like G1 Megs. In fact it's specifically said at several points that Screamer is all slyness an trechery while Megs was more bute force, which is exactly like G1, and he acts the part well. You can DEFINATELY hear Chris Latta in his dialogue. Blackout is also nothing like G1 Scremer, other than the fact that he makes a power play. He's the most like G1 Soundwave in that he's apparently very loyal to Megatron even when Megs is out of the picture, and he's one who works behind the scenes through his small secondaries (Skorponock is his cassette) to turn things to his ends. Which makes sense of course since Blackout was intended to BE Soundwave in early planning.