Movie plot problem *Warning Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by nogga_nootch, Jan 16, 2007.

1. nogga_nootch

nogga_nootch 1

Ebay:
    Right after having looked at the draft of the script i seem to have found a flaw, don't know if anyone else spotted it.

according to the script megatron needs the cube so he can turn technology into decepticons, and he's on earth becasue of all the technology.

but i just noticed that at one point in the script somebody says that all the technology on earth came from studying megatron and reverse engineering him, and the fact that he was on earth before technology was so advanced means that the writers didn't really pay attention to what they were doing.

i know its only a small part of the story but when you think about it, its quie a big mistake.

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Megatron wants the cube to create more Decpeticons. He was off looking for it when he got trapped in ice on earth.

He's been trapped for presumably 1,000's of years, (or at least hundreds) so I would assume he never planned on using it on Earth - he planned to use it somewhere else.

3. bobby_C

bobby_C Well-Known Member

Megs is on earth because of the cube. Once he's got it any planet with technology on it would provide the resources for building an army. The fact technology has evolved by the time he wakes up is the nice bonus.

Note that Prime never says that Megatron planned to convert earth's technology all along, merely that that is what he'll do if he gets the cube now.

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, the fact that those scientists taking him apart were stupid enough to use his data for every ordinary device and thus a target for the Allspark is just a bonus.

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    @ Dark Convoy

Yeah that's what I took from the script as well. Never got the impression at all that Meg's was here *because* of our technology. Sounded to me more like a Skyfire situation where he came looking for something (the cube) but got stuck in a snow storm and was trapped in ice. So much for that 'advanced' alien jet mode & technology of his.

6. bobby_C

Actually that's interesting. They never say the technology to be converted by the allspark *has* to be cybertronian in origin, now that I think of it. If it was the case, the cube would be useless to them, unless all scientists accross the universe have the silly habit of reverse-engineering any Megatron they happen to have in the freezer :p .

Or maybe they planned to use it on the transformers remains on Cybertron?

7. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I still wanna know why all the TF's use the same hologram image (guy with a moustache) in alt form. The script never explained why or how that became the template to use.

8. bobby_C

It may be some sort of in-joke we don't get, or merely a way to give away their hologram nature to the viewer very easily. Kinda like the freaky smiles in Infiltration.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I was thinking along the same lines, it's kinda the default "This is what a human looks like" to the TFs sort of situation.

10. obin_gam

obin_gam Cenobiteconbot

regarding the hologram, I believe its an injoke gone wrong.
    because of the mustache the "guy" has, there must be some sort of special with that actor... just a matter of trying to figure it out...

11. nogga_nootch

nogga_nootch 1

Ebay:
    you misunderstand me, i'm not talking about the overall story, what i meant was that at one point sam says that megatron wants the cube to transform all earths technology then moments later simmons tells everyone that all earths technology cam from megatron making the whole megs wanting earths tech part redundant as its all from him anyway.

and sam saying the part about megs wanting the earths tech seems jars with the fact that megs has been on earth for ages anyway, that was the part of the script that was flawed, by having that little exchange in it, the script momentarily stops making sense.

thats what i was trying to say. the writers seemed to temporarly forget why megs was on earth and the plot goes a bit off for a few seconds.

12. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

...okay...

If that's supposed to be part of the plot, then the plot stinks. >___> I've seen some other stupid plot choices, but I can't believe any writer would have that be part of the plot, so I won't. I mean, the consequences of that statement being 'right' where the movie is concerned. Oh dear.

If it'd be part of the plot, I see far greater plotholes (and retarded conspiracy theories) than what you pointed out. So I'm sure that's not the meaning of the statement you're pointing at. :p 

(Other than that, I keep laughing at the energon cube/matrix giving live to random things plot bit, for it's absolutely retarded and will have the audience take the movie very not so seriously. I thought people were concerned with the audience taking this movie serious? Oh yeah, and like someone else said: Megs being all Survival of the Fittest, well he should have adapted with some Russian aerospace technology - that's right, Russian engineers beat millions of years of Cybertronian tech in just a few decades perhaps - so his jetmode could survive snow :redface2: ).

Yawn. Just my opinion on this movie: Plot = crap. But that goes for most movie plots lately anyway. :/

13. bobby_C

Well no, because Optimus explicitly told sam that's what Megatron would do if he got the cube, not what he aimed for when he came to earth in the first place. Sam merely repeats it with less accurate words. Optimus never says Megatron *wants* our technology, only Sam's formulation may make it seem like he was aiming to take it from the beginning. What they both do say Megatron *wants* is the cube, because it allows him to turn machinery into decepticons.

Also, just because modern tech is reverse-engineered from Megs doesn't mean he has any control on it, or for that matter that it is as advanced as cybertronian tech. In fact, none of earth's tech seems on par with the transformers, apart from the heat rounds that can hurt them, and even then, it's not because of cybertronian tech, since cybertronians use pulse cannons, not heat rounds. Only the cube can transform machinery to create the decepticons Megatron seeks.

If you're looking for inaccuracies, you should instead look at Banacheck's claim that cars were based on Megatron's tech, when in fact the first cars were created twelve years before the antarctic expedition discovered Megatron :p 

EDIT: Quintesson> actually it's all of earth's *modern* technology they claim comes from Megs (since he's discovered right before the beginning of the 20th century), which makes it a bit less silly, if only marginally so XD
    That's probably still the silliest bit of the whole plot. If only because it kinda claims all modern technology was created by the US (since only them knew about Megs).

Explains why the transformers can so easily connect to internet or the army's computers though. But I'd prefer to think they can because they've got universal plug'n'play :p 

Also, your claim about russian jets is silly, if only because they didn't exist at the time Megs had his snow problem.

14. optimus_prime_rules_007

optimus_prime_rules_007 Banned

The script was aweful, it's full of holes and bad story telling.

15. Inner-Demon

Inner-Demon Instrument of Destruction

Ebay:
    Well, if it was full of holes then how did you read it?

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

17. DaraRex2.0

DaraRex2.0 I'd totally eat the leaf

Haven't read all the posts but I just want to say, does anyone else thinks it's odd that the cube can turn anything it comes in contact with into Transformer?

And not lookin' at the fact Megs fathered all our daily household devices, how does that work? We didn't make Ipods to be Trans, it's just an ipod.

However, I would like to get that Energon cube and use it on my mouse. Heh-he. Sick it on the neighbors cat.

"Bad day"

To Incepticon: The Trans have a Shared Documents template

To Dark Convoy: It's the Trans inside joke.